Baby Showers
Options

2 shower ?'s

I am having 2 showers since our families live so far apart.

My mom is throwing me a shower in mid april. Is it okay for her to put on the invites the couple is waiting to register till March__ when H is home. Reason being my husband is coming home from a deployment and the invites will be going out before he gets home.Is that okay?

Lastly my MIL is throwing me a shower which I am very grateful for since I told her she didn't have to. For my bridal shower a few years back she would ask my opinion on things like i.e. do you want games? I said sure not thinking too much into it. Well the games were awful- extremely hard, kinda weird. Everyone hated them, I mean everyone. How do I politely tell her no games this time? TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: 2 shower ?'s

• Options

On the first question - why don't you go ahead and just begin the registry before DH gets back, and then you can finish it up as he arrives. Then the comment is not needed. She could still say where you are registered, even if it isn't quite finished. Most people don't shop for showers until the last minute anyway.

For MIL - next time you talk to her, just say, "I've been thinking about the shower - let's just hold off on the games and stick to cake and socializing". That's all you have to do. 

• Options

The registering part, I already thought about doing that but since DH is missing so much already he really wants to be there to do it. We plan on doing it the first week he is home.

Thanks for the wording with MIL, sometimes she just takes offense to everything.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I understand....I would just have her put where you are registered, and not worry about the extra explanation. Like I said, usually ppl buy at the last minute, and you should be done by then. If they do happen to shop that early, then all they have to do is call the hostess and ask what the deal is. No worries!
  • Options
    Well, as your shower is in APril, the invitations don't even need to go out until March anyhow.  REmember - it's a shower, not a wedding!  Going out 3 - 4 weeks ahead of time is fine.  Why not just send them after you register?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I think she is planning on mailing them out in march but the timing was going to overlap.
  • Options

Hardly anyone will run out to buy a shower gift the day they receive an invite. Either include where you are registered and leave it at that, or leave it out completely. If anyone does happen to check - they will ask first and someone can tell them what the deal is. I think you're thinking too much into this!

As far as your MIL goes - just politely ask her what her plans are, and then mention that you'd prefer a no games shower. It's perfectly acceptable. Or ask her what type of games she's doing.

• Options

We had 1 thing purchased off our registry the week the invitations went out. ?Other than that everything else was purchased the week of our shower. ?I don't think a note explaining that you won't be registering until March is necessary. ?

Also I realize that you want your dh to be involved but if you're that worried about it, couldn't you just create a registry and add 5 things to it just in case someone does shop early? ?Then when you're dh gets home if no one has purchased them you can?delete?them off your registry and start from scratch. ?

imageimage
  • Options

Registry - Ditto to what everyone else has said. You don't have to add anything to your registry, you could just sign up. When DH gets home you can both start adding. Or if you know where you are going to register, put it on the invitation anyway.

Games - You could politely tell your mom, that you's prefer no games at the shower.

• Options

I totally get waiting for DH to get home. Good idea. Your suggestion is good in that it is so personal. If you don't feel like explaining yourself just say they can call mom in march for registry info. If you want to be really PC don't put any registry info in the invite at all. Most people see that as tacky.

Re MIL shower - Tough situation. Could you just say you are not up for games as you are so pg? You could say you are not fond of shower games?

Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"