Breastfeeding

BM storage bags or freezer ziplocs?

I bough Lansinoh BM storage bags. 50 for $9.99 ( I think). Does anyone freeze BM in ziploc freezer bags insead? They are about $3.00 for 40.

I will be pumping BM to bring to daycare. What I pump one day, DD will get the next day. Could I put BM in ziplocs then too? I will be spending a ton on storage bags that will just get thrown away?

Please let me know what you will be doing or what you think. Thanks :)

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BM storage bags or freezer ziplocs?

• stick with the lansinoh bags. I can't even BEGIN to tell you how much money i have spent on lansinoh bags. (i have a major oversupply and have donated ALOT of milk)-- I wouldn't mess with ziplock bags.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Stick with actual bm storage bags (or containers) for anything you will freeze.  For anything you'll use the next day, just pump directly into the bottles you'll be using.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Loading the player...
  • Daycare will probably have you bring pre-made bottles, so for day to day just pump into the bottles you use for feeding (or into bottles that came with your pump then pour into feeding bottles.) Many bottles have adapters available that allow you to pump directly into feeding bottles if they aren't standard size. You'll only need freezer bags for frozen milk. I wouldn't use ziploc bags, only ones made for breastmilk that are pre-sterilized and such.
  • I stored in Ziploc freezer bags. I never had any problems with leaking or spoilage. If you're not planning to freeze the milk, you may want to consider using the BM storage bags in your fridge at home until you bring DD to daycare the next morning, or even just transferring from storage bottles into the bottles that your DD will have at daycare. BM is good for 24 hours at the back of the fridge (where it's the coldest), in an airtight container.

If you are planning on freezing, your daycare may require that the milk be already defrosted and in bottles, labeled with your DD's name and any additional information such as "use first." etc. If they don't require you to already have it defrosted and in bottles, the BM storage bags may work better, because they have specific fields where you can label them with your child's name and the date and time that the milk was pumped.

HTH

ETA: FWIW, I tried both BM storage bags and Ziplocs and I ended up using the Ziplocs because that was what worked best for me, budget wise and for storage purposes.

• I agree with the pp. I pump only into the bottles that came with my pump and then pour into feeding bottles.  I only use the lansinoh storage bags when I'm going to freeze milk.  I'm pretty sure you can get them cheaper than 50 for $10, though--look around for bigger packages.

Seriously, though, I have spent a hell of a lot of money to bf!  So many bottles, storage containers, the pump, extra pump parts, a nursing cover, etc. etc.  It isn't cheap, that's for sure.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Keep in mind, ziplocs are not sterile.  Breast milk storage bags are.
  • imagespringtime81:
    Keep in mind, ziplocs are not sterile.  Breast milk storage bags are.

that would be my concern

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • storage bags were an unexpected expense, but because they are sterile and made to store BM, we chose to use them over ziplocs.
  • Thanks for all the help! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• In the long run, it might be less expensive to pump directly into the bottles you will bring to day care. Many bottles (other than the ones that come with the pumps) will attach to the pumps. The glass Evenflo (about $3.00 at Walmart) will attach to a Medela pump. If you're not storing, then you'd only need enough bottles to take to day care. For $30ish you would probably have enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"