Blended Families

SD calling me by my first name

I'm sure there have been plenty of discussions on here about what stepchildren should call their stepparents but please bear with me.  I want my stepdaughter to call me by my first name. I call my stepmom by her first name.

BM wants SD  to call me Ms. My First Name because she does not want SD to call adults by their first name.  However, the "Ms." sounds a litte cold and distant to me for a parent, albeit a stepparent.  My DH says he called lots of adults Ms. Firstname and Mr. Firstname growing up that were close to his family, but he will go with whatever I decide.

We have a very rocky past with BM and I dont want to ruffle her feathers over this. Should I just give in on this one?

Re: SD calling me by my first name

• Ugh.  What a petty beotch.

I understand where BM is coming from as far as respectful, but I think that she's doing this to be an ass.  It's obvious that you're the step mother now, but she still wants to dictate what her child calls you in YOUR home.

I'm with you on this - have your SD call you by your first name when she's with you guys.

• Just look at this as one more way that BMs think they can hang on to whatever little bit of control they have in their life.... SD got the talk when DH and I got married - BM kept the 5 year old up until 11:30pm telling her what I was and wasn't (ie. not her stepmom, her father's wife)... I kind of just let it slide for a while... little one's are resilient and figure out things very quickly... she calls me by my first name now and tells everyone that I am her stepmom and every once in a while a "mom" will slide in there.. but I've been around a while (3 years before we were married and 4 since...).. my mom said to let it happen... I just sat down with SD and asked her what she felt comfortable calling me and we went with it!! Good luck
  • Loading the player...
  • What did she call you before you were married?
    My SS always called me by my first name, even before we were married, and I honestly felt weird about that. I called all adults Ms. First Name, when I was young, hell I still call most of them Ms. First Name.
    It all depends on your situation, and what you are comfortable with. If she has always called you Ms. First Name, and you would like her to drop the Ms. now that you are her SM, go for it. But, in the long run if it is easier to keep the Ms. to placate the BM, then I would do that, just cause I hate confrontation.
  • If your DH isn't against it, I guess go with the Ms. thing for a while. Gradually you can probably make the change to first name after you've been married awhile. I actually know a few people who have done this.
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Thanks for the quick replies ladies.  SD is two.  She didn't call me anything when we got married.  She was only 6 mos. old!  As she began to speak, DH and I taught her to call me by my first name. I thought it was weird at first myself, but I didnt want to step on BM's toes with any kind of "mom" name and so we just went with my name. 

I didn't think BM never really heard SD say anything to me but hi and bye bye. but apparently now that SD is becoming more of a talker, she has been saying my name at home with BM.  BM has been trying to teach her to say Ms. and Mr. to adults.  And BM wants us to all teach her to say "Ms." to me.  Interestingly enough, we have taught SD to call our friends "Aunt X" and "Uncle Y" instead of by their first names so I see where BM is coming from.  I think I just dont want to be a Ms. because it sounds like a neighbor or a babysitter or a random lady from church instead of a family member. Oh well.

• I've had the same problem. My SS and SD call me Mom and that was their choice.  The first summer they spent with us they asked if it was okay and I said if dad is fine with it i'm fine with it however not soon after i noticed that whenever they were home and I would speak to them on the phone they would whisper "hi mom" or call me by my first name.  Then while visiting our home and on the phone with BM they would say what they did for the day and use my first name.  I asked them on numerous occasions if they had a problem calling me Mom because they were completely fine to call me by my first name and they insisted they wanted to call me Mom.  Last summer once again on the phone with BM while visiting my SD referred to be using my first name.  I decided to address it right then and there and while on the phone is when SS admitted that BM does not like them to call me Mom.  I told him a decision was made and if she has a problem with it she could speak to me.  Well of course BM denied ever saying that but why would they constantly put on a show for her.  So now when they are with BM I hardly speak to them to try and not put them in the middle and told them to keep the peace don't talk about me to their BM.  I wish I could say talk to BM and try to resolve as co-parents because thats what you guys are but that doesnt work for everyone.  Don't get caught up in the title, I think the first name is okay but the Ms is a bit formal. Maybe a nick name like MiMa.
    Misty & Victor Jr. Married August 5, 2006 - St. John, USVI BFP 11/1/09 - Natural M.C. 11/30/09
  • How old is she? Is she old enough to adress you by your name at the house and Ms. YourName at her mom's? One SD calls me mommy and the other (13 and lots of fun, lol) calls me by just my name. She used to say Ms but I told her she did not have to
  • By the way-- maybe this is a way for BM to make you seem less personal
  • Ms. first name to other adults fine, but you ARE a parent and that's just flat out weird.  I am going to be bitchy here and tell you to have a conversation with your DH b/c I see this as a bigger deal that he wants this than that BM wants it - BM's being overprotective and trying to stake her claim but your DH should be thinking of you as a parent too and therefore realize how weird this is.  How does he see your role?  I would tell him that it's either your FN only or he comes up with a non-Mom name but Mrs anything is just way too formal for the woman that will be helping to raise her.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Allow the child to call you what she wants... If she "slips" and doesnt say Ms. I wouldnt correct it/pay any attention. 

My cousins are from the South and that's how they speak to every adult...

I would just go with what your SD wants.  Who cares what her BM says, when she is in your care - go with how you guys mesh together!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • PS - also it seems that maybe she is doing this to keep that "distance" between you and SD? Like as in not to allow her to get to close... Good luck :( But again - go with the flow with your SD.
  • It would be horrible to have your ste child call you Ms......

• Thanks again guys.  I will tell DH to tell BM that we are not taking away from her desire to teach SD manners but that I am an exception because I am her stepmom.  I do think it is part of BM's desire to make me a random person to SD.

I have a sister through my dad and stepmom who is a child and she calls me and my older sister by our first names.  It didnt make her start calling all adults by their first names.  It's understood that it's different because we are her sisters.  I think this distinction can be made by my SD as well.

Thanks guys for helping me sort this issue out.  I know we have to choose our battles so I just wasnt sure if it was worth it.  But now I think it is.  I'll talk to DH.

• I have a similar problem with my 4yr old daughter. She was calling my SO Daddy, we have been together since she was 1. Her BD freaked out on her and told her that he was her one and only Daddy, according to my 15yr old daughter. Now she goes back and forth with what she calls him. I encourage her to call him Dad or DaDa so it does not confuse our other ?kids, but I would never flip out on her. I can't wait to see what he does when he get more serious with his new GF. I would let your SD do what it comfortable for her so she does not get too stressed out. I do agree that Ms.--------- is way too formal for her to call you and BM needs to get over her insecurity.?
  • imageJ+R:
    PS - also it seems that maybe she is doing this to keep that "distance" between you and SD? Like as in not to allow her to get to close... Good luck :( But again - go with the flow with your SD.

I totall agree!  If you force SD to call you something that she is not comfortable with, it can have ramifications down the road where she may not want to ask you for things or come to you for help.

• No, you shouldn't have to give in... it's YOUR relationship with her daughter that she is trying to control and dictate... she needs to realize that she doesn't have control over everything, and especially when it comes to your bond with your stepdaughter and the dynamics of divorce.

This is not up to BM, whether she likes it or not it's something she needs to get used to. I would stick firm with DH on what YOU *want* to be called.

• Ask your DH how many of his family members he addressed that way.

I have no problems with Ms Firstname in general - that's how kids I know address adults to show respect. But it's also for pre-school teachers and sunday school teachers and your mom's friends, not for family members.

I think that BM is trying to put distance between you and her DD.

- Jena
  • We had a similar situation but backwards sort of.  DH and I have some adult friends (obviously) and we go out to dinner with them by ourselves occassionally other times we bring SD along.  The couple loves kids but doesn't have any of there own.  The first time she met our friend Brian she started calling him by his first name automatically. Personally it is a respect thing and it bothered me slightly because I could never imagine calling an adult that I didn't know by there first name.  I was raised in an italian household and even called adult cousins aunt and uncle because it was what was expected and showed respect.

I had a conversation with SD one day (before our wedding, knowing my family was coming into town and wanted to prepare her how she should address my family, ex my aunt is aunt so and so because she calls DH's brother and sister and their spouses by their first name only.).  I told her that until an adult tells her to call them something different she needs to refer to them as Mr. or Mrs/Ms. last name.  If they tell her to call them by their first name she should still use Mr. or Ms. as a sign of respect and out of politeness, unless they specifically tell her not to.  She has since caught on quite well and refers to our friend Brian and his wife as Mr or Mrs Last name.

If you don't have a problem with her calling you by your first name or even a 'pet'/nick name then that is completely appropriate.  Mr. or Ms. is really only appropriate if the relationship between adult and child is a distant one or is one of authority such as a teacher/principal, not a parent to a child. 

I completely understand what BM is trying to teach, and it is a polite thing to do and shows curtousy and respect but the relationship you have with your SD is different, and honesltly doesn't make sense for her to use that.

I would just tell BM that while you understand her reasoning YOU aren't comfortable with that.  One of the things about teaching manners is to consider other's feelings and so yours should be taking into account.  Ask if there is an alternative name and butter her up by telling her that you think it is great and an important lesson for your SD to learn but she also needs to understand where and when it should be used.  GL

• My SD has always called me by my first name.  She calls my parents by their first name too.  We aren't just adults in her life, we are her step-mom and step-grandparents.  I think that allows her to be a little more informal with us. 

With other adults she goes with the Mr./Mrs./Ms., but with us that would be silly, we are now a part of her family whether BM wants us to be or not. 

On a side note...SD has always called BM's fiance, who BM isn't marrying until 2010 and just got engaged to a month ago, Daddy Greg and calls his parents Grandpa & Grandma.  Some BMs just want control when they should stay out of our homes!  I think that is what you have going on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"