Special Needs

Owen is getting a g-tube

Hi everyone, I haven't been on to much in the past few weeks.  Owen got sick with an ear infection and then we had a few doctors appts.  So his GI doc thinks that it is time to get the g-tube.  I think it will be good for Owen but I am a little nervous abou the surgery.  How was your experience with the surgery and how difficult is to to actually do the feedings? Did your kids have any trouble getting adjusted to it? Also we just started a blog if any of you are interested.  It is fight4owen.blogspot.com.  Not sure how to make it clicky. Thanks in advance for the g-tube info.

Re: Owen is getting a g-tube

• I am a huge fan/advocate of the g-tube mic key button.  (we have had the mickey button from the start) 

Isaac has had his g-tube since he was 3 weeks old and I was completely terrified at first.  I remember crying when we took him home and telling my husband that I felt like I was his nurse.  But I swear to you it has been so good for Isaac.  It has  helped him gain weight so well & when he is sick you don't have to worry about him losing weight & not getting enough nutrition!!!

I just clean around it with hot soapy water and try to keep it dry next to his skin.  I put a dressing around it every day ( I use guaze pads and sterile pads 2x2 ) It really isn't bad at all.  The feedings have gone really well.  We do feedings every 3 hours (we try to feed him as much by mouth as possible) and then feed the rest through the tube in a gravity feed.  It is extremely portable.  I have extra tubes stashed everywhere just in case.

The surgery took less than 30 minutes of actual surgery time and he recovered quickly and was awake and hungry soon after.  If you have any questions, please ask.  He is absolutely adorable, love the blog!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"