Blended Families

Dumb questions... I know, just curious...

Once a birth certificate is amended to reflect the true biological father, what happens to the old ones???  Obviously SD was 8 when we found out about her and had the birth certificate amended - but where is her old one?? What if BM kept it to try and use the old one to get whatever, etc. 

People say that the child will hold out hopes that her mom/dad will get back together... Is this the case when the mom/dad had NO relationship EVER? Do you think that my SD had hope, even though she had no clue for so many years?

Just curious... I always thought about the first, and then read a post about the child losing hope for mom/dad on another board and it got me wondering...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dumb questions... I know, just curious...

• I have the original birth certificates from my daughter, so it's not like they have to be destroyed.  In fact, if you don't petition vital statistics in most states, they don't even update the birth certificate.

Yes, I think pretty much all children have fantasies of their parents getting back together, regardless of what the parents' relationship was like.  I have no memory of my parents being together, since they split when I was 2.  I still dreamed of it. 

Although - I just asked my daughter, and she said no, she's never even considered it.  Her dad and I split up before she was born, and he has barely been present in her life.

• I don't think SS does.  Fi never dated BM - SS was one night bonus.  I think he would be upset if we split up.  He is always asking when we are getting married, when he's getting a baby brother/sister.  He has never given me the impression that he wuld like that, but he is only 7.

Also my parents are divorced - they were married for 25 years.  Both my brother and I would hate the thought of them being together.  They are just so very different. 

• Loading the player...
  • You know - it may be that a lot of the fantasy has to do with how one parent or the other deals with it.  My stepdaughter at one point confessed part of the reason she hates me is because she wants her parents together, and recently told us her mom wears DH's old clothes all the time, and has pics of him up in her house, on her computer, etc.  So- could be that that is part of the problem.

• My SD said she did when she was young and they split before she could remember AND her Mom is gay (not bi-sexual).
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"