Baby Showers

Book shower - need some help

I had a regular shower last week back home - it was a co-shower with my sister who is 4 weeks behind me. People were overwhelmingly generous! I got so much great stuff and now truly there are only a handful of items left that we "need". We only put about 40 things on the registry to begin with, and there are less than 20 left.

My friends here are throwing me another shower in March. It is so nice of them, but I honestly can't imagine what else I can add to my registry that I want/need. Our baby's sex is a surprise so people are a little bit more limited on clothes they can buy (good thing, as I didn't want a million pink or blue outfits).

I have heard about people asking for books instead of cards, but I'd like to ask for books AS my gift. We are big readers and I would love to have a nice collection of books for the baby. Any suggestions on the wording here for the invite, or how I should ask my friends to make this the theme? Like I said, I have a registry that I'd love to have completed - how can I suggest book as an equally welcome gift? Is this a faux-paus for me to even ask? should I just keep my mouth shut, have a regular shower, and return what I don't need/want?

Re: Book shower - need some help

• You could always register at Target or another place that sells a lot of baby books.  Then, pick out a bunch to add to your registry.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think a book shower would be
  • I think a book shower would
  • Sorry about the incomplete post.  I think a book shower would be nice.  We had a regular shower for my SIL and she included on the invite to bring your favorite book to start the baby's first library.

It was really nice and her bookcase is full now.

• I think the pp had a great idea in just adding to your registry (depending on where it is) or doing a place like Target where you could register for books.
  • imagemrsbmw:

include on the invite to "bring your favorite book to start the baby's first library"

Great idea!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Josiah James

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Naomi Rose

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have heard of this idea and think it is a great one.

I would probably word it something like this:

I lieu of traditional gifts you can substitute a good children's book.

It may not get your registry completed, but I think maybe ya'll could buy the most important things off of your registry and wait till a little later to get the rest.

• We did this for a co-worker. We knew she would be getting all the other stuff from other showers. I love the idea. I don't see a problem with saying it is a book shower. I don't think it is that much different than registering. We all brought our favorite baby books.

As far as how to go about requesting books you may want to see if you could register at a local independent book store or at least leave a list. If that doesn't work because of where guests are coming from Amazon has a registry system. I know it would help with duplicates but registering for books isn't necessary if you ask people to bring their favorites. There are so many out there. That saves you a step and it allows them to pick something that is special on a personal level.

Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"