Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

THIS pre-empts The Today Show??

THIS is a "winter storm"?!  THIS is worthy of booting Meredith, Matt, Al and Ann so that we can continually cover the phantom "ice" that is "covering" the metroplex?!  Wow.  Wow.  How the hell does this town operate when their is actually snow?

Re: THIS pre-empts The Today Show??

• Options

It doesn't. Don't you remember those two snows we got last March?  EVERYTHING shut down for about 2".

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Options
    imageMrsTotty:

It doesn't. Don't you remember those two snows we got last March?  EVERYTHING shut down for about 2".

I was still back in DC :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ha!  There is lots of hype over the weather here.  Expect it to last all day! 
  • Options

Ooooooooooh ... so this is your first DFW 'winter' ... lol.

Yes, this town has NO concept of what a 'real' winter is like, and will completely shut down at the mere mention of ice/snow/sleet/slush. The really bad weather doesn't usually show up until end of Jan and through Feb. Last March we got 2 snows (2" each time) in 2 weeks. RUINED our Bluebonnets for the season and completely pissed me off.

• Options
    LOL.  I mean, it's all vaguely familiar, having spent many years down in  San Antonio.  That city shuts down anytime it gets below freezing.  It's just weird having since lived in MO, Chicago and DC and knowing I sure as hell would have never been sent home from class or work for weather like this.
  • Options

Word.

Can you tell I am still bitter about the Bluebonnets? If I don't have Bluebonnets to put my son in for pictures this year I am going to be LIVID.

• Options
    I am STOKED about bluebonnet pics.  I will be pissed, too.  It's like a huge reason why we moved here :)
  • Options
    I can't wait for Blue Bonnets!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The way everyone freaks out at the mention of ice/snow makes me laugh.  We (me and DS) are currently visiting my parents in Wyoming this week and we woke up to -12 degree temperatures and snow, but the city keeps going.

I also can't wait for the bluebonnets.  They will be great pictures.

• Options
    The reason everyone here freaks out is because they aren't equipped here to deal with the ice/snow/sleet since it only happens maybe twice a year. Unlike the previous places mentioned where it happens the entire winter season.
  • Options

imagesublimekel:
    The reason everyone here freaks out is because they aren't equipped here to deal with the ice/snow/sleet since it only happens maybe twice a year. Unlike the previous places mentioned where it happens the entire winter season.

Obviously I am aware of this fact, but it doesn't make it any less funny.

• Options

Don't forget that people already drive like morons and the thought of ice on the roads makes them completely lose their minds. 

I'm just glad that I don't have to go on any overpasses on my way home and hope that DH can leave work early enough so that he's not sitting in traffic for three hours. 

• Options

imagesublimekel:

Correct. The freaking out is still ridiculous though IMO.

• Options
    imageCreamPuff06:

Don't forget that people already drive like morons and the thought of ice on the roads makes them completely lose their minds. 

I'm just glad that I don't have to go on any overpasses on my way home and hope that DH can leave work early enough so that he's not sitting in traffic for three hours. 

Ditto...complete moron when it is sunny outside...ice...forget it. 

My commute is going to be crazy because of this storm.  I have plenty of overpasses to get home. 

• Options

We got married last March during all that snow. It was just a courthouse wedding, but both if us bing from Chicago didn't really think ahead to things being shut down for 2 inches of snow. Lucky for us it didn't bother the judge either and he personally called us to let us know he was there early even though the courthouse was on a delayed opening.

Definatly not complaining though about having the day off to be at home today.

• Options

i felt the same way when i went to Chicago in July -

"don't leave the air conditioning or you'll DIIIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!!"

same thing

• Options
    i'd rather be aware of any weather updates, traffic, etc than making sure I saw them do "Tuesday's Recipe of the day" on the Today Show.
  • Options
    When DH and i first moved here we quickly deduced that "Everything's Bigger in Texas" crap really meant that Texans make a bigger deal about everything, lol. 
  • Options

imageibfloridagirl:
    When DH and i first moved here we quickly deduced that "Everything's Bigger in Texas" crap really meant that Texans make a bigger deal about everything, lol. 

This is very true ... and it can be a good thing, or a bad thing, lol.

• Options
    Didn't mean to offend those who rely on the all morning coverage of school closures and stuff.  I was just sayin'...it's funny.
  • Options
    imagelabellagirl:

i felt the same way when i went to Chicago in July -

"don't leave the air conditioning or you'll DIIIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!!"

same thing

Very true.

• Options

imageMrs.Donkey:
    I am STOKED about bluebonnet pics.  I will be pissed, too.  It's like a huge reason why we moved here :)

Don't worry, bluebonnets actually need one good hard freeze in the winter in order to get some good blooms.  Something to do with the freeze cracking more seeds open or something?  The snow in early spring was a different story though.

I've never really noticed a lot of bluebonnets here (compared to Austin and the Hill Country).  Is there a good place to find them? 

Help for Haiti: Learn What You Can Do

BFP 12.20.2010 :: missed m/c 1/2011 around 8 weeks
    BFP @ 9dpo 5.24.2011 :: missed m/c 6/2011 around 7 weeks
    positive for ANAs (1:40) with a speckled pattern
    MTHFR c677t mutation (heterozygous)
    *folic acid, baby asprin, Prometrium, acupuncture, Lovenox*
    BFP @ 9dpo 2.1.2012 || HCG = 8 : Progesterone = 19.2
    2nd HCG @ 11dpo = 40 || 3rd HCG @ 21dpo = over 5000!
    Stick, little one, stick! EDD October 15, 2012
  • Options
    imageAustinBride06:

imageMrs.Donkey:

Don't worry, bluebonnets actually need one good hard freeze in the winter in order to get some good blooms.  Something to do with the freeze cracking more seeds open or something?  The snow in early spring was a different story though.

I've never really noticed a lot of bluebonnets here (compared to Austin and the Hill Country).  Is there a good place to find them? 

We definitely don't get them like the HIll Country does ... some years are better than others though ... and they're usually pretty abundant around all the highways. They were non-existant last year, but the year before last was great!  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"