South Florida Babies
Options

3yo and nightmares

My son has been having nightmares.  Tonight was the second time I woke up to him screaming for me - in his sleep.  He also talks in his sleep.  Breaks my heart.  The first night this happened I was in tears - can't explain it.  He was screaming for me - eyes wide open - but was asleep.  Kinda scared me.  My mom said my little sister was the same.  Do any of you have any experience with this?  Should I be concerned?

Re: 3yo and nightmares

• Options

My son does it too.  We hug him and tell him to go back to bed.  In that state of sleep walking they listen to simple commands pretty well.  I don't know why it happens or what he's dreaming.  Sometimes the screams are blood curdling.  I just hope it's a phase because it is a little unsettling.  We just try not to wake him because I think that would confuse him more than anything.

FWIW - I am a huge sleep walker/talker.  My hubby can have full conversations with me and my eyes are open but it's like the lights are and no one's home.  I don't remember anything.  Sometimes I say and do crazy things.  We just figured he was like me.

• Options

I think it has to do with the age b/c when Gaby was 3 she had nightmares and it was really bad. We got her a night light and has helped her sleep through the night since then. Now that she is 4 she doesn't have nightmares but I don't keep the nightlight on all night either. I turn it off after an hour of putting her to bed. Maybe you want to get a nightlight to help him a little....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"