Infertility

What is a good mature follicle size for IUI?

I have only had one IUI back in September that ended up being a BFN, but I was wondering what a good # for a mature follicle normally is if you are doing an IUI?

On our first IUI they told me at the time I had by +OPK (we went natural IUI for that cycle) that I had only 1 mature follicle measuring at 16. From seeing a few other posts on here from time to time, does that seem small?

We have a follow-up appt. to discuss our "plan" with the RE next Thursday and I was planning on bringing that up.

Thanks!!

Re: What is a good mature follicle size for IUI?

• In a natural (unstimulated cycle) or Clomiphene Citrate cycle, mature follicle size is between 18 - 30 mm. If triggered, these cycles are typically triggered when follicle size is between 17-26mm (dependent of the practice and IVF lab).

In a gonadotropin cycle, mature follicle size is between 16 - 20 mm. These cycles are typically triggered when follicle size is between 16 - 20 mm.

https://www.fertilitytoday.org/frequent_questions.html

Keep in mind that follies grow average of 1-2mm per day even after trigger before ovulation.  Your surge is usually about a day before ovulation so it was probably right around 18mm at ovulation.

• My clinic measures a mature follicle as being right around 20mm. I just got a BFN on my first IUI, but I did have one follicle that was 24x18 and another that was 15x9. My clinic triggers when the largest follicle is mature, so I don't know whether the 15x9 caught up in time. Best of luck at your RE appointment!
  • Loading the player...
  • i just had my third IUI, and we triggered (2) at 21.5, and (1) at 15.5. I doubt the little guy caught up, but my RE would like to see at least 18-20 before trigger.

good luck at your appointment.?

• i think most doctors don't like to trigger unless it is 18+

there is more info here:

https://www.fertilityplus.org/faq/iui.html

• My dr. likes to see 20+.  Last IUI's (we do b2b) we had 4 measurable follies over 20 and 2 around 16-18.  Yikes.  I was feeling very full and was just hoping it would up our odds... just another BFN. 

This month I have 3 measuring over 20 and my dr. waited until really late to trigger.  Let's hope it works!!!!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers *all conceived with b2b iui's/injectibles.
  • My RE said 20 is the goal, 18-22 is acceptable. This was on injectibles (repronex).

Sorry for the baby pic, but she is an IUI baby! (27mo TTC, 2nd round of dual-IUIs on repronex did it)

- Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"