Birth Stories

My Birth Story

I was 10 days late (due 12/30) & the baby still hadn't dropped! The Dr's & I were pretty confident that I'd end up scheduling a c-section, since I had not progressed at all and my due date was getting further and further in the past. The baby was measuring big (about 9 lbs) & obviously getting bigger, making it less likely that he'd drop. The Dr's wanted to wait until I was around 2 weeks late to make the final decision in case nature took its course!

Finally on Wed (1/7) I finally started feeling contractions and by Wed. night they were 5 minutes apart! I called my Dr. early Thurs AM & they told me to go into the office. Turns out I was in very early labor, 2 cm & 70% effaced, but they wanted me to go home & see how it progressed. Thursday afternoon, the contractions virtually stopped, but started again on Thurs. night. I went back in on Friday & I was 3 cm! The Dr. initially told me to go home & see what happened over the weekend, but then decided that my blood pressure was a bit too high so she decided to admit me into the hospital.

I was admitted around 430. The pitocin was started around 5 and  they kept increasing it. The pain was tolerable for a few hours, but I asked for the epi around 8. I was 5 cm by then! The epi was a bit scary, especially having contractions while the anesthetiologist was inserting it, but I would not have given it up for anything! The pain literally just stops. It is so worth it in my opinion. Around 9 PM the baby's heart rate dropped so they stopped the pitocin for a few minutes until it was under control. Once they stopped it, I started laboring backwards and went from 5 cm & 100% effaced to 3 cm & 70% effaced at 10 PM! Apparently, stopping the pitocin halted all action, so my cervix basically started closing up again. I had never heard of this before! At that point, my Dr. said labor just wasn't going anywhere & she was going to book an O.R.

Brayden Joseph was born via c-section at 10:56 PM. He was 9 lbs 0 oz & 22 inches long! He's GORGEOUS! I'm recovering very well from the surgery & am so grateful for him. I also can't get over how short my labor was - I was admitted into the hospital around 430 & he was here almost 6 hours later!! I would post a pic, but I have no idea how!

Re: My Birth Story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"