Eco-Friendly Family
Options

I Had a Energy Saver Light Bulb Explode Today

You know that funny looking spiral ones?

I turned on the light, was walking under it, and it just exploded.  I've never had a light bulb of any variety randomly explode before.

How weird is that?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I Had a Energy Saver Light Bulb Explode Today

  • Options
    Eek...that sounds dangerous!
  • Options
    Are you okay? Were you able to get all the shards up?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    wow that sounds really odd.  it must have been defective??
  • Options
    I sucked everything up with a shop vac, and DH shop vac'd my hair and clothes.  I don't even have a scratch.  I'll just wear shoes in the basement until it's been swept a few more times.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

    Definitely be careful and wipe up the area w/ a hot soapy rag. 

    Those light bulbs have lots of funky chemicals in them (some mercury I believe) which is one of the reasons they are tough to recycle and aren't just supposed to be thrown in the normal trash. 

     

    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Ditto the pp - be really careful. That was mercury dust that you vacuumed up and had explode on you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks Daisy!  I'll definately mop that floor down tomarrow.  It's a good thing the kids are rarely in the basement.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

    Yikes!  I'm glad you're uncut, but ditto on the watching

    out for the kiddos down there.  Most of the gas is long

    gone, but empty the vaccuum outside in the open and

    don't put the stuff you dump from it in the compost.

     

    I just watched Fringe, where the random weirdness

    of the episode was a guy who controlled electromagnetic

    stuff, and when he was upset things would go haywire.

    And when I read your post title, my first thought was

    "uhoh, someone's in trouble to make her that mad!"

    image
    Mother's Day, 2011
  • Options

    DH emptied it into a box outside, and is putting it in the dumpster at work.  After DH had to have 9 stitches in his leg 5 years ago, he's very careful about taking care of broken glass.  Good thing.  We figured there were gases involved.

    I'm going to wash my hair before bed too.

    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You definitely should NOT put it in a dumpster. ?You need to put it in a jar and take it to a recycling center. ?The mercury could poison stormwater, etc. ?Also, you aren't supposed to vacuum because it can contaminate your vacuum, and the air the vacuum blows out.
  • Options
    Yikes! ?I have had the same thing happen before - something about fingerprints on the bulb weakened/damaged the coating and there was a small powersurge, which was enough to overload it. ?Or so I was told. ?I had to be very careful w/ cleanup and give the shards to the building management, then have the wiring for that socket checked (turns out we needed a new fuse, as well). ?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby #3 
    #1: 01/02/08
    #2: 04/29/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"