1st Trimester

Chemical peel while pregnant - freaking out!!!

I went to a med spa for a facial and told them I'm 10 weeks pregnant. They recommended a totally safe chemical peel for pigmentation and assured me it didn't have retinoids, salicylic acid, and TCA which are all no's during pregnancy. I asked a few times and they kept saying it's totally safe so I went with it. After I left I got a bad feeling and googled the brand and it's a HUGE NO for pregnant women and have all those chemicals in it!!!! I'm so so so freaked out. I'm sick to my stomach. I am so scared and worried and anxious and can't stop googling and I'm going crazy because everything that comes up says birth defects and other horrible scenarios. My dr said they absolutely shouldn't have done that and there is nothing to do but wait and watch how baby develops. I'm so sad and feel ridiculous and ashamed and can't stop crying.

Re: Chemical peel while pregnant - freaking out!!!

• Stop googling and a one time incident and you are not being exposed on a regular basis.  Women have things done even before they know they are pregnant.  

All you can do is move on from here and stop googling.  
  • There’s nothing you can do about it now, except maybe call them and tell them what you found and tell your doctor if it bothers you that much.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely told the place that administered they were negligent especially after I called the manufacturer and they said it is their policy to never use on pregnant women. I'm trying to let it go and think positive that all should and will be okay. Now im just concerned if im having a normal reaction or any negative side effects since my skin is out of whack from the hormones! Will be anxiety ever just let me quiet down my mind and heart ? 🙈
  • What chemicals were in it? Most of the research on how topical retinoids, acids, etc affect pregnancy are inconclusive, but should be avoided due to the knowledge of how they affect the fetus when ingested. Since they can't draw conclusions, the recommendation is to avoid (better to play it safe)
    To put your mind at ease, unless it was rubbed on your belly or a mucus membrane, the likelihood of it significantly entering your blood stream and affecting your baby when delivered topically, on your face, is low. And like your doctor said, they'll monitor to make sure things progress ok

My biggest lesson this pregnancy has been, when in doubt, avoid, because it's not worth the stress later

Feel better!! There is a good chance everything will be fine!!
  • Please, did your child faced any deformities after birth?
  • Please, did your child faced any deformities after birth? @bks-funkyfresh