Babies: 0 - 3 Months

3 month old ears

Hi our baby just turned 3 months old. When she was born she passed the hearing test at the hospital. Everything has been good until yesterday. My wife and I got into an argument. She put our baby down in a swing and walked about 10 feet away to me and yelled at the top of her lungs for like 5 seconds. I saw baby jump and she started crying. It obviously spooked her. We went to console her and she was fine after a minute or 2. 

anyways I am worried about her hearing being impacted from the screaming. The one good thing is she wasn’t in our arms when the screaming happened but like I said about 10 feet away. 

Could she suffer permanent hearing loss after this event? Or any damage you think? How can we test her hearing at home. 

Thank you from an anxious dad

Re: 3 month old ears

• That shouldn't impact her hearing. It would very likely have to be much more louder and much, much closer and screaming like from an amplifier at a concert, and over a long period of time. 

I am glad you are honest in your question and explain what happened, but please both of you try to be more careful of words and actions. 
    My boyfriend and I also got into a fight where I began crying and then the baby cried--they do know what emotions are flying and learn from us. 
    We can scare them. 
    Also, if she is post-partum, it is one of the worst times to go through and the body/mind is all a ball of every emotion. Please be considerate of that too, also that it may last months and upwards of 2 years for some women. 

My boyfriend and I try to argue more calmly, which is better for all, and while it is hard not to yell/cry, it is what we want the baby to see that adults can talk. 

My mom is a country music fan and there is a song that is about a drunken father. The main line in the chorus though is what has stuck, and I bring it here for the example we set: 
    "Walk a little straighter daddy, you're leading me".

Best of luck to you all ☺
  • I don't think that it can cause any problems with the hearing.