2nd Trimester

Green snot-like discharge at 23 weeks?

I've been having off and on green snot-like discharge for a few weeks now. No symptoms (itching, burning, bad odor, discomfort, bleeding, chunky, etc). It comes and goes but I haven't really paid attention to when. I did have intercourse today and noticed it today so maybe that's what's causing it.

The rest of the time the discharge is either watery (which was normal for me before pregnancy) or thick and light yellow.

Also considering the possibility that it's my mucous plug which I've heard can be lost and regenerate multiple times throughout pregnancy and does not necessarily mean labor is near.

I have an OB appt next week so I'm going to ask then but did anyone else experience this and it was just normal?

Re: Green snot-like discharge at 23 weeks?

• harpseal135harpseal135 member
    edited September 2022
    Um, I would be calling and talking to your nurses line.  That sounds like nasty BV.  You really should call and see what they say and not wait until your appt. 

Also, PLEASE DO NOT PIST A PICTURE! If anything send a pic to your doc on your online mychart or whatever program your office uses. 
  • Your mucus plug should also be colorless or maybe a little bloody, definitely not green like snot. Abnormal colors like that can definitely be an infection (something like BV, which just happens sometimes and isn’t an STI or anything like that, so anyone can get it), and you don’t want to let that go longer. Definitely call your OB’s nurse line and see what they say, but they will probably have you come in sooner to check it out. You don’t want an infection to spread to your uterus and baby, so you need to get checked out sooner rather than later.
  • Loading the player...
  • Wasn't planning on posting a picture. BV almost always has a fishy odor or associated symptoms. That's why I wasn't really considering it. My appt is tomorrow so I'll just have them culture it. Haven't had anymore since yesterday and since it comes and goes thats another reason I'm thinking its probably normal. My ob office never treats anything without a visit and workup so they wouldn't see me today anyways
  • @knottie yeah, they definitely shouldn’t just treat you without an exam (for this at least) and if your appointment is tomorrow, that’s reasonable. If it was like Wednesday or Thursday, you’d probably want to be seen sooner. BV classically presents with fishy smell but not always because it can be from different bacteria that don’t produce the same smells, so you don’t want to rule it out based only on that criteria. Green coloring is due to immune cells, so while it definitely could be some immune reaction to intercourse, it could also be an immune reaction to the overgrowth of less-beneficial bacteria or something else. It’s the same reason your snot turns green when you have a cold - extra immune cells mean extra color, but it doesn’t tell you what the reaction is to. Just better to rule out infection when it comes to possible vaginal infections and UTIs during pregnancy, since the consequences of leaving a subclinical or even asymptomatic infection untreated can be so terrible.
  • Could be anything, but my BV didn’t have that fishy of a smell. I was also PP tho so nothing smelled that great. But it was the colored discharge that made me make an appt.