January 2023 Moms

Product Spotlight: Bath Time

So let's SPOTLIGHT some PRODUCTS about bathtime, but it would also be great for STM+ to share your methods, tips, and techniques. There are so many other momentous things to plan for meticulously and you may then find yourself with a squirming days old baby over a sink not entirely sure what to do! 

So, Adorable baby towels and teensy washcloths? Soaps and shampoos that won't irritate that silky skin? Baby-holders/mini-baths for the bathtubs? Solutions for shower-only households? And looking ahead to older babies, what toys do you have in the bath with them? But more broadly, technique-oriented, how often do you really bathe a newborn? A 6-month old? A 1-year-old? Where do you do it (bath, separate baby bathtub, shower, sink)? How do you do it without that wriggly little peanut flinging themselves into the water? Do you get in there with them? Please share!

PS this is our list of spotlights, feel free to go to anything we’ve covered and bump it up with new questions, I’m sure people are getting more serious about registries as we get closer to January: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/108pBg4oi9Fj9bCb8Qg9qDXN69p3pmgdXg-RXHsRkAic/edit

Re: Product Spotlight: Bath Time

• The stuff: baby bathtub I like the boon, it worked well until baby can sit, soap - white dove per our pediatrician due to eczema, baby wash cloths and towels are standard but I liked the bamboo towels best. Toys, hot glue the squirty ones, they get gross inside otherwise. 

Bathing techniques? Carefully? You learn as you go what works.  It's definitely infrequent, maybe once a week. 
  • As for stuff, we have the Skip Hop Moby tub. It's pretty basic, no complaints or Raves either way 😆. We have some bath toys as well bc the kiddos LOVE bath time together. We have some water pipes, a mermaid barbie, rubber duck (I basically shower with a posse).

I second @willrunforcookies suggestion to be careful with those squirty toys. They're cute but they grow mold like crazy.

As for techniques, my kids get pretty gross running around outside so we bathe every other night or so. Tiny babies definitely don't need super frequent baths, unless you want to make it part of the bedtime routine. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @jennifer_louise hahaha to the posse!  My mil got fed up and bought us a plastic basket for the bath toys because they use the kid bathroom when they visit and were done with that after one shower (despite only visiting twice a year).
  • I had a baby bath tub with my first that I despised so I got an angel care seat this time! It’s small enough I can fit it in my farmhouse kitchen sink and big enough I can put it in the bath with my toddler or myself when baby is able to hold their head on their own/ almost sit up! In all honesty we used nothing “baby” specific for bathing. For the first few weeks while I was bleeding PP my husband took our newborn into the shower with him when needed (which baby loved because skin to skin) then once I was all healed I’d bath with baby too 🤷🏻‍♀️ I use the Johnson’s newborn wash still because I love the slight scent lol