2nd Trimester
Options

Food poisoning

edited August 2022 in 2nd Trimester
anyone else have food poisoning during pregnancy? I’m 19 weeks & the on call nurse told me to rest and drink lots of fluids. I’m very worried about the effects this could have on my baby!

Re: Food poisoning

• Options
    I haven’t, but I’d trust the nurse on this one. Most food poisoning is from salmonella and E. coli, and the biggest risk to your baby (and you) is dehydration. This is also one of those times when sports drinks and electrolyte replenishers can be really helpful, because you’re losing electrolytes when you have vomiting and diarrhea, too, and you don’t want water poisoning.

Hopefully the nurse told you what signs to look for to know if you need to go to the hospital, and if they didn’t, call back and ask what things (temperature, signs of dehydration, all of that) you need to look out for to decide if you need more care than you can get at home. I hope it passes quickly and you get to feeling better soon! Food poisoning is miserable even when you’re not pregnant.
  • Options
    I haven’t, but it would depend on what virus/bacteria it is and any possible effects it could have. And the only way to know that is by testing. Best of luck & hopefully your symptoms ease up soon. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Based on how my day has gone, I’m wondering if it’s a stomach bug, but food poisoning. Either way, the nurse has continued to tell me to drink lots of fluids and rest! Trusting that everything will be okay. Glad to have my 20 week us on Monday. 
  • Options
    I had a GI bug with my first. No issues other than weight loss for me, but I gained everything back quickly.