Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Newborn breastfeeding

So I don’t know if I’m doing this right. So my baby girl is almost three weeks old. She only lost 6% weight in the hospital. I exclusively breastfeed-well just started introducing the bottle every couple of days for one feeding to prepare her for daycare. By one week of life she surpassed birth weight. This baby likes to sleep at night. She will sleep 4-5 hour stretches. I was stressed before and would set an alarm for every 2-3 hours but it was impossible to get her to wake up so I was getting no sleep. Now I set an alarm for 3.5 hours at night after her feeding is finished. She wakes up then and is ready to eat. During the day I feed on command so it’s usually every 1-3 hours for however long she wants to She is gaining weight and makes up to 15 wet diapers a day. I guess the question is should I be waking her or should I let her wake me at night? 

Re: Newborn breastfeeding

• My boy was the same.  He eats every two hours during the day and sleeps longer stretches at night.  At 4 weeks I stopped setting an alarm because I would wake him up to feed and he wasn’t having it.  He would feed for two mins then fall asleep.  The first time with no alarm he ended up sleeping 6 hours!  As long as your baby is gaining weight, let her sleep during the night.  Focus on the day feedings and keep an eye on the wet diapers.  We are lucky to be getting sleep at night aha! ☺️
  • I agree! At 3 weeks, my baby was sleeping 5-6hr stretches and I never woke her for feedings.. I figured she needs the sleep and she will let me know when she’s hungry. She was also gaining an appropriate amount of weight so I was never worried about her not eating enough. 
    She would cluster feed a few hours before bed so that might have been what helped her sleep such long stretches.
    I also figured that a more rested mamma was a more helpful mamma so I never set an alarm to feed her. 

Hope this helps!