February 2023 Moms

Thought I was 8.4 weeks, ultrasound said 6

Hi, so the title is basically the gist of my question. I went in for my first ultrasound
thinking I was at eight weeks four days.
But the ultrasound technician had trouble finding baby, then did, and found yolk sac and baby along with faint heartbeat. Measuring she said, at around six weeks. At first, we did not see the heartbeat, but then after moving around a bit we saw the flicker. She said that developmentally with the faint heartbeat, and the smaller size that we were measuring at more like six weeks one day. I am worried that this means there are problems. I am scheduled to go in one week later, which is next Monday, to see if there’s been any growth and if we can find a stronger heartbeat. Has this happened to anyone before? Thinking you were at almost 9 weeks and then finding out you’re only at six? I had a positive pregnancy test exactly one month before the date of this ultrasound.
I don’t understand how it’s possible… The possibilities are that I am not as far as along as I thought, or possible MC happening. As of right now, I am still pregnant and there was a heartbeat, so I am crossing my fingers and toes and praying for the best.
I have not had any other symptoms of an MC. No major cramping, no heavy bleeding, nothing else that should concern me. So that being said, is it possible that I’m just a few weeks behind what I thought I was at? Has anyone else experienced this before? I’m so concerned, I really want to believe that everything will be fine at the next ultrasound. I would love some feedback from other mamas.

Re: Thought I was 8.4 weeks, ultrasound said 6

• @dollyelvira this would be a great question to pose in our Randoms thread! We try to discourage one off posts like this because it clutters the board and makes it harder to have consistent discussions. Also, it would be awesome if you stayed and became a part of this little community. Could you please intro on the Introduction thread, so we can all get to know you?

To answer your question, it sounds like your doctor gave you some great advice. At about six weeks is when you would typically see the heartbeat. I'd try to stay out of the "what if" territory it sounds like you're moving into and trust your doctors and your body. Try not to borrow trouble before you have it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is happening with my sister where the baby measures smaller. Her doctor said as long as the baby keeps growing on their own scale then everything should be fine. So your next appointment will let you know a lot as long as the baby grows from here you guys are ok. I think my nephew even measured small and he’s about to turn 2 :) hope that helps!!
  • Loading the player...
  • This exact thing actually happened to me just yesterday! I don’t think I’m much help because I’m pretty freaked as well since I thought I was further out of the danger zone than I actually am!