November 2022 Moms
Options

First Time Mom: Career Mamas When to Tell your Job

Hi all,

I am a first time expecting mom. I am really early in my pregnancy; 5 weeks. My company is starting talking and enforcing is coming back to the office. I have been having pretty bad morning sickness and I have some concerns about covid being asthmatic. Before my pregnancy I would of been completely okay coming in. I work well from home and it just allows me to deal with any sickness I feel privately. My question to the corporate mamas out here what do you think I should do? Should I talk with HR first then let my manager know.

Advice is welcome! Thanks in advance

Re: First Time Mom: Career Mamas When to Tell your Job

• Options
    Welcome!

You will be more likely to get an answer in either "The Great Big Question Thread" or the "Ask a STM" thread.  By putting your question there it helps us keep the board organized and easy to find information.  If you have any more questions about where to post please check out the "Read first - Board Organization" Thread, and definitely check out the "knotties, please change your name" thread.

Looking forward to you being part of the November 22 moms!
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Ok, I'm going to take initiative and bump this thread.

Last time around, I told a few close friends in my office. I had a close friend who had done IVF the year before, and both mine are IVF, so she knew the whole process. I had another close friend who walked into my office when I was very weak and very nauseous and she asked if I needed anything from CVS, so I asked her for giner ale an saltines. So, kind of a dead giveaway.

As for my supervisors, I waited until after the first trimester. I was an executive assistant, and was actually going to transition into a new role the following September, so we had already been planning for my departure and had hired someone as my direct report who would likely be promoted into my EA role, so I was happy to have a plan.

This time I want to try to wait again, although I have several evening work events over the next few weeks with my boss, and evenings are my worst time, so we'll see. We're also picking up more work in my department and MAY be getting a new hire who will report to me, but we haven't gotten approval for the funding. If we do, that will make things a little easier. If not, well. It won't.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Because of the nature of my job (veterinary technician), I felt I had to tell work pretty much as soon as I knew (4 weeks). There are a lot of risk factors in what I do, so I would either have to become oddly and specifically lazy out of nowhere, or tell them what's up. Fortunately, they've been really great and accommodating thus far. It was definitely a bit nerve-wracking telling them so early, but obviously, have to put baby's needs first! The other upside to telling work super early was that DH and I felt that we could share with friends and family, since it seemed ridiculous for only the people at my work to know.
  • Options
    I work in a garage with lots of paint fumes, gasoline, glue, loud and stinky exhausts and I’m on my feet all day. My husband and I decided to wait until our first ultrasound to tell them but it’s killing me because I am nervous every day about being around everything.