July 2022 Moms
Options

Pressure to potty train before new baby

Hi everyone. I have a young daughter , she’ll be 3 in March. I’m also about 6 weeks pregnant. Ever since we announced our pregnancy to our family, they have been on us about potty training my daughter, they even tell her she needs to be a “ big girl “ and grow up! My daughter 100% understands the concept of the potty and will occasionally use it, however since she’s young and I personally don’t mind, I haven’t pushed it on her. My mindset is that you don’t hear of kids in school still using diapers, it’ll happen when it happens. However everyone thinks this is ridiculous. Not to mention I always get lectured on how she still sleeps in her crib and uses a bottle ( only at night )

Has anyone dealt with family like this? It honestly drives me so nuts, no one ever has anything nice to say they just like to tell me what I should be doing. 
She’s only 2 1/2, I don’t see why I should have to make her grow up faster for a new baby. 

Re: Pressure to potty train before new baby

• Options
    @bethmarie995

DS will be 3 in a month, and it sounds like he's in about the same place, potty training wise. I would ideally like to get him potty trained at least a few months before the baby arrives, as it would be nice to have at least a short break from diapers, but I'm not too worried about rushing things. He'll get there when he gets there. 

As for the crib, keep in mind that the maximum safe height for using a crib is 35".  Once kids reach that height, the fall risk is too great to keep using the crib. No idea where your DD falls for height, but wanted to toss that out there just in case you hadn't heard.  DS hit that height SO EARLY, at 18-19 months, and it was a real bummer having to switch him over to a toddler bed. He did great with it, though. 

• Options
    My daughter was a month over three when she was potty trained and it literally happened the weekend my youngest daughter was born. I really think with some kids they just have to want to do it and that was the case with my daughter. It was like flipping a light switch with her. Also, nighttime potty training is a hormonal thing, so don’t stress that if it doesn’t come right away. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son turned 2 in October and my husband is already making comments about wanting a break from diapers before baby comes. I keep telling him I’m not expecting that to happen but if it does, great. We had an 8 month break between DS1 and DS2 but there was a bigger age difference there
  • Options
    We’re currently working on potty training my DD. She’ll turn 3 about 6 weeks after this one is born. I think we’ll have her potty trained by then, but we’re not pushing it hard either. They work with them at her daycare and we just let her hang out naked after bath in the evenings and she does really well, but she is so busy playing during the day and is so distracted it’s hard! She’s going to have so many changes coming in her life and she’s only little for so long, it’ll all come in time - no need to stress over it ❤️
  • Options
    We are potty training my two year old, and I will say to those looking for a "break" from diapers-- having a newly, sort-of potty-trained toddler is worse than having a kid in diapers. You are constantly dealing with accidents, sitting in the bathroom for 45 min waiting for your kid to go, getting up every 10 min in a restaurant because they say they have to pee (but are really just bored), and just spending every ten minutes saying "do you have to go pee?" I mean clean-up is easier when they poop on the potty than in a diaper, but the whole thing is for sure less convenient than diapers. YMMV-- our kid has regressed a lot because we started her young and no one in her day care class was potty trained yet. I have friends who did the three-day thing and their kid was basically trained (though those kids are usually around 3 or older). But I would not be in a rush to not have 2 in diapers. 
    TTC History
    TTC #1 Sep 2017-Sep 2018 
    BFP 11/30/2017 | MMC 12/31/2017
    BFP 6/22/2018 | CP 6/27/2018
    BFP 10/5/2018 | EDD 6/14/2019
    Baby girl born 6/19/19

TTC #2 May 2020-November 2021
    BFP 7/18/2020 | MonoDi Twins | MMC 9/10/2020
    BFP 11/7/2020 | CP 11/9/2020
    RE Consult January 2021 | Dx "borderline DOR"/RPL
    IVF with PGT:
    Standard Antagonist:
    ER #1 3/27/2021 7R | 5M | 3F | 2B | 1 PGT-A Normal, 1 low-level mosaic
    ER #2 4/22/2021 10R | 7M | 3F | 2B | 0 normal, 2 aneuploid
    ER #3 5/19/2021 2R | 1M | 0F
    Estrogen Priming Antagonist:
    ER #4 7/10/2021 5R | 4M | 3F | 1B | 1 PGT-A Normal
    Duostim  (Standard Antagonist):
    ER #5 9/22/2021 13R | 11M | 8F | 5B | 2 PGT-A Normal, 1 low-level mosaic, 2 aneuploid
    ER #6 10/9/2021  9R | 6M | 4 F | 1B | 1 aneuploid
    FET #1  11/5/2021 | EDD 7/24/2022
    Baby boy born 7/19/22

TTC #3 since May 2023 (ntnp)
    IVF Started Fall 2023 (Standard Antagonist)
    ER #7 10/6/2023 | 9R | 6M | 5F | 3B | 2 aneuploid, 1 high-level mosaic
    ER #8 10/31/2023 | 5R | 4M | 3F | 1B | 1 PGT-A Normal
    FET #2 11/27/23 | CP (bHCG = 8)
    FET #3 planned Jan 2024