May 2022 Moms

PSA: Recall on Boppy Loungers!

Re: PSA: Recall on Boppy Loungers!

• Oh wow! I love our newborn lounger and wouldn’t have made it through the NB days without it. I know there’s a suffocation risk as there is with any soft surface but we never let my daughter sleep unattended on it and I was crazy about her positioning when she was first born haha. Maybe an UO or FFFC but fully plan on using it (carefully) with this baby too. 
  • Ugh. I saw that. We loved our lounger and we used it on the couch when DD would be between my hubs and I. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Still going to be using mine just with more caution. We use it at dinner and put the baby on it while we are right next to them. 
  • Ugh I saw that 😩. I’m so torn with this. It was a lifesaver with my 2nd, to the point that we’d bring it with us to family get together. I always recognized a risk, but it seemed ok if we were super careful about his positioning. Now, idk 
  • I'm now getting ads for the snuggle me organic, so I feel like they are taking advantage of the recall?
  • I have heard snuggle me has risks too in terms of safe sleep. IMO it depends how you use any sort of soft space to put babies down on. I think any of them are inherently ok when used properly aka ensuring the baby’s position is ok and you aren’t leaving them unattended or to sleep. 
  • @pajamstagrams yep, I totally agree with you. I’m amazed they haven’t gotten more flack. 
  • I remember seeing those dock-a-tot when they first came on the market and was like "yeah...no"
  • *lurking from March BMB*

We used both the lounger and the dock a tot with DS. I am sure we will use the lounger again and maybe the dock a tot. They were both used just as a place to put baby down when we were eating, sitting on the couch, etc, and he was never alone in either. He never slept in the lounger. I think he may have slept in the dock a tot a couple of times when he was really little and he’d be asleep in that while I sat next to him on the couch. I don’t think I’d let this next one sleep in the dock a tot this time but could see myself using it if I needed to refill my coffee or something and needed a place to put her for two minutes. 
  • @rachelredhead I’m with ya. It amazes me how many influencers / “normal” people on my social media feeds have posted pictures of their babies sleeping in the crib in the dock a tot or snuggle me. 
  • @pajamstagrams I feel like they having something written on their website that states they are made outside of the USA and cosleeping is common where they are made. I wonder if that has anything to do with it? 
  • @conni0205 hmmm, maybe. But yeah, sounds like sneaky marketing to me 🤔
  • @And846 @pajamstagrams @b_1029 I had the same reaction to seeing the dock-a-tot et al. I didn't and still don't understand how they're on the market. Definitely not for me. I agree they must not use the word "sleep" anywhere, but I think those Fisher-Price things that were recalled also specifically said not for sleeping and that didn't stop people. 
  • OneRainDropOneRainDrop member
    edited September 2021
    I have crazy anxiety when it comes to safety of baby items. We definitely had a rock n play and when i heard about the recall i tore that sucker apart and threw it in the trash! 

I looked into/researched both the doc a tot and  snuggleme like crazy when I was Pregnant with our youngest. I couldn’t wrap my brain around how the Doc a Tot was safe as it seemed that a baby could easily just turn their face and have it against the padded wall. Turns out, the doc a tot is actually banned in Canada this reason and for other safety issues! (At least it was in 2018 when I was researching). 

We did end up using the Snuggleme (borrowed from a friend) and actually felt comfortable with how our daughter was positioned on the lounger. The way it’s designed, the baby is above the padding, kind of like a pillow. Of course, we never used it at night or put it in the crib, but we did use it around the house during the day supervised and she loved it! 

Edited because spelling is hard. 
    Pregnancy Ticker