1st Trimester
Options

Pregnancy and COVID-19: What are the risks?

Based on the study anxiety and depression symptoms in pregnancy typically affect between 10 and 25% of pregnant individuals. Elevated symptoms of depression and anxiety are associated with increased risk of preterm birth, postpartum depression, and behavioural difficulties in children. The current COVID-19 pandemic is a unique stressor with potentially wide-ranging consequences for pregnancy and beyond.

Are there potential factors that can help lower the symptoms and help mitigate long-term negative outcomes?

Re: Pregnancy and COVID-19: What are the risks?

• Options
    Yup, best thing to do is get vaccinated, or totally isolate yourself I guess. I definitely have peace of mind knowing that if I get happen to get Covid, the chances of suffering through severe symptoms is almost non-existent. Adding pregnancy to the mix? Yeah, last thing I want to do is jeopardize the well-being of the baby, let alone potentially leave the baby without a parent. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The two people I’ve know who have been hospitalized for Covid, one of them on a ventilator, were both pregnant and unvaccinated. Please get vaccinated.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Lisa3379 said:
    Yup, best thing to do is get vaccinated, or totally isolate yourself I guess. I definitely have peace of mind knowing that if I get happen to get Covid, the chances of suffering through severe symptoms is almost non-existent. Adding pregnancy to the mix? Yeah, last thing I want to do is jeopardize the well-being of the baby, let alone potentially leave the baby without a parent. 
    You have a point and some people are not fully interested in getting vaccinated so they decide to lock themselves. Well, it's a wise decision.
  • Options
    100% agree on vaccination. I got vaccinated before we started TTC and am now wondering about the risks/benefits of this new booster that’s coming out.

I also just wanted to put a plug in for therapy, if that’s something available to you. It can be a great safe space to talk about all your stressors and worries and make a plan to take good care of yourself.
  • Options
    Get vaccinated and you won't have to worry about it near as much. Edit to add: and I don't want to hear any BuT tHeRe'S nOt EnOuGh ReSeArCh - these vaccines are based off decades of research, they've just been tweaked to specifically target this particular variety of coronavirus. Coronaviruses have been studied and around for a long time.
    Bonus: your baby will get some protection vicariously through you so everyone wins.
    Everything in medicine is a risk, and you always have to look at the potential risk vs. the potential benefit of a procedure. But that comfort level is for us to decide.
  • Options
    Lisa3379 said:
     A stay-at-home mom who meets few people might want to delay a jab until after the birth I guess.
  • Options
    I got my first before ovulation, then got my second shot at 5 weeks. First shot gave me no symptoms. Other than a sore arm hah. 2nd shot gave me chills and a low grade fever for about 2 days after. 
  • Options
    stacemom said:
    Lisa3379 said:
     A stay-at-home mom who meets few people might want to delay a jab until after the birth I guess.
    I’m also a stay at home mom who meets few people. But do what you want 🤷‍♀️ 
  • Options
    I currently have covid and I’m fortunate to be doing just fine . I personally don’t feel safe getting the vaccine while pregnant but that’s something you should speak with your doctor 
  • Options
    Isolation isn’t foolproof.

My grandmother broke her hip during the pandemic. She had to stay at the hospital, then sub-acute care, and had very few options.

I recently had to visit urgent care for acute low BP and fluids during first tri. Waiting room was full of Covid+ patients, even though the facility was doing their best to get them to wait outside in their cars. I was happy to be fully vaccinated.

My OB told me 2 babies currently in the NICU are Covid+ after picking it up from their unvaccinated mothers. We’ve all heard Covid doesn’t affect children as much as older adults, but I personally feel a baby in the NICU doesn’t need any extra stress to his or her lungs.