February 2022 Moms

GTKY 6.23

A random hump day GTKY!

What has been your favorite place to travel to and why? Or, where would you like to travel to next and why?

Re: GTKY 6.23

• Thanks for starting this- I feel like our board is SO quiet! 

I think my favorite destination was the Virgin Islands- it was just so beautiful. But I had more fun in Mexico. Probably due to the many drinks. 

The next place we will travel (out of the US) will be Mexico. We had a cruise booked with the kids for January 2021 that was canceled because of covid, and if I go anywhere else before I take them on their vacation it will be BAD. But now that I'm pregnant it will probably be a longer time before we travel. 
  • My absolute favorite destination is Italy. The food, the sights, the shopping! It was so overwhelmingly beautiful, it was everything I had ever wanted.

Next place to travel was supposed to be Ireland but I have no idea when that will happen at this point. More realistically, it will probably be Baltimore for a wedding which is not nearly as glamorous but I've never been so maybe we'll find something fun to do.
  • Loading the player...
  • @modoodles there's something so nice about islands and beaches! MH and I are talking about going to Mexico City for dia de los muertos this year since it could be a babymoon/his birthday celebration as well but I've never been anywhere in MX besides border towns!
    @gardenvariety88 oh neat! where in Italy did you go? we went to Sicily (rented a car and drove through lots of towns in August of 2019) and the food really was as good as my own Sicilian family made it, if not better. 10/10 will go back (it's also super cheap there, an extra plus). 

I really liked Italy and Spain when we went in 2019, because of the food, the culture, and the history. We had such a great time, I just wish I hadn't gotten sick!

Now after COVID, I want to go on a whole bunch of trips since things are open and it feels like the clock is ticking since we won't be able to go anywhere for a while after baby. I want to go to New Orleans again, I want to do a roadtrip down 101, we want to go to Mexico (see above). I'd also love to go to Nice, France to get to practice my French and see what the Italian/French cultural blend is like but that will probably be a post-baby destination. 
  • I haven't been to many places other than Disney and Vegas, but my favorite was probably my honeymoon to Jamaica!. 

I really want to go to Hawaii. Either that, or another all inclusive with DH when I'm not pregnant and can fully indulge. 
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• @chgilmore I've been once with my parents and once with DH for our honeymoon but it was pretty much the same trip both times...rome - sienna/montepulciano/cinque terre - florence. Florence was by far my favorite part of the trip, if I ever moved overseas that's where I would be headed. On the other hand, I would love to explore some other areas as well. One of my favorite places to eat in Rome was a Sicilian diner and I'm sure it does no justice to the authentic food in Sicily. Give me all the arancini!

@tessiesmom26 Jamaica sounds awesome! DH usually isn't up for a relaxing beach vacation but I think it sounds like a great time!
  • kmw611kmw611 member
    I’m going to go with Italy because both times were many years ago and it still stands out to me above everywhere else. Venice, Florence, Rome, really all of it was amazing. 

Within the US probably Alaska because it was absolutely beautiful and I was traveling with my childhood bestie so just an all around great trip with him. 

I am dying to go to Ireland and Australia but probably not until the kids are older and we either convince DS1’s biodad to let my husband adopt him or go to court for full custody though so we can get him a passport since it requires both biological parents permission for the passport plus written permission to leave the country for each trip. 
  • I greatly enjoyed Japan and Italy. There’s a good chance I’ll be in Ireland next fall for a work conference so I’m looking forward to that. 
  • That's a hard one, there is always something special I love about each vacation. If I had to choose, I'd say Iceland. We spent 2 weeks there, driving the Ring Road around the entire island. The whole country is beautiful. We were there during the 2018 World Cup, which was Iceland's first time qualifying. It was fun going to bars and outdoor watch parties in the towns to watch the matches with the locals.

On our last vacation, we went to Arches National Park in December. I highly recommend going in the winter. Not a lot of visitors, the temps got in the high 50s during the day (single digits at night), and hotels were super cheap. It was gorgeous and we were able to do every hike since the weather was so pleasant.

We were supposed to go to Quebec last June, but that was canceled due to COVID. I'm hoping to go next year, but husband doesn't think we'll be going on international trips anytime soon. 
  • @lexilougolden We didn't get to the Blue Hole, but heard about it and it sounded good. Just another reason to go back I guess!

@angelz429 We had to reschedule a Disney Cruise too due to Covid. We did two switches and then said forget it and cancelled it all together.
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• @effie0513 I live in Utah and love Arches! We did that in April and it was still good weather. I'd just recommend not going in summer... I don't know how people do that?!

@tessiesmom26 Yes! Next time! I went there on a cruise which was awesome to see it briefly and other islands :)
  • So hard to pick one. I love the West Coast of Ireland and all the beauty of the coast & the music everywhere in the pubs. Kyoto in springtime is lovely. Quebec City & Montreal for the jazz festival is fun. And in the US, nothing compares to summers in the PNW. 
  • DH and I had such an amazing road trip across the country just after he proposed, we are really looking forward to doing that again, going back to some of our favorite spots, and visiting some other parks we haven't been to yet.  Utah is probably my favorite just for the sheer beauty and wonder of the landscape, so we have to get back to see Arches.  And maybe actually stay for a ski trip, since we were just passing through before.  We never did the CA parks though either, so I really want to get back and see death valley, specifically the sliding rocks?  Whatever that's called lol and Yosemite.  I think four corners would be pretty cool too, especially with the kids. :)

Most likely, sadly, I will have to plan not to go on our Rome pilgrimage this fall.  I was excited to have something amazing like that to look forward to in the event our last transfer failed, but since it didn't (!) I'm not sure flying internationally at 24 weeks is something I would feel comfortable doing.