Pregnant after IF

Chemical pregnancy with frozen transfer for baby #2

Hello ladies,

I had my first baby a couple years ago with my first frozen transfer cycle. We just had another transfer for baby #2, and I had a chemical pregnancy. The doctor is recommending ERA cycle. I don’t want to go thru all those shots if I don’t have to. And also waste more time. But also I only one one embryo left. Also as I understand if the results are not optimal
then they need to do more cycles to find the exact date/time. Has any of you had a successful first time transfer but dealt with chemical with the second transfer? Have you chosen to do ERA and did it make a positive difference? Or chosen to just go ahead with the regular transfer and has success? Thank you! 

Re: Chemical pregnancy with frozen transfer for baby #2

• Honestly, after a successful transfer and a chemical, I would not think the ERA would reveal anything. The embryos are obviously implanting -- the issue was getting the second one to stick around but there are a myriad of things that can cause that (genetic defects [were they tested], clotting issues, just bad luck). I understand it's difficult when you have a failed cycle and only one embryo left -- a lot of pressure. I would maybe look into some supplements or other things you can add. Some people feel certain diets help.  Most of the ladies I know who have had chemicals have gone on to have success with later transfers. I would tend to edge towards the thought that maybe it was just bad luck/random chance that you didn't have success with this past transfer.
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• IlkyIlky member
    Yes, it was PGS tested. That’s what I thought too. If I got a chemical that means it did implant. So not sure why he is pushing for it. Ugh! It’s just creating confusion :(
  • Loading the player...
  • @ilky- so having an off inplanatjon window can cause chemicals. But it’s rare for a window to change, even after pregnancy. I repeated my ERA after pregnancy and it didn’t change. During an ERA, they often send some of the sample to another lab to check for endometritis- inflammation in the uterine lining. My first transfer for number 2 was a chemical with a pgs normal, and my subsequent biopsy showed endomwtritis. I would ask for the very newly approved Alice and Emma test. It checked for endometritis and the uterine biome. This test would have saved me months of heart ache and repeat biopsies to try to figure out what antibiotics I needed to clear my endometritis 
    History in Spoiler

Age: 32 (same with DH). Together since 2006, Married June 2013 and TTC since August 2015
    Diagnosis: Mild Endo, DOR (AMH of 1.5), Poor Quality Eggs/embryos, Displaced Window of Implantation (ERA Post Receptive)
    March-May 2016: 1 TI and 2 IUIs- BFN 
    June 2016- Laproscopy- found/removed mild endo and confirmed only 1 normal healthy ovary.
    August 2016- IVF #1 with Antagonist Protocol- Cancelled (2 lead follies), converted to IUI- BFN
    Oct-Nov 2016- IVF #2 with Estrogen Priming Micro Lupron Protocol, 2 eggs retrieved, day 3 transfer of 1- BFN
    January 2017- New RE, IVF#3 with Estrogen Priming Antagonist Protocol, 12 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 day 5 early blasts transferred (none to freeze :(), BFN
    May 2017- Sept 2017- Starting Donor Egg process! Waiting for donor to be available... and then she is pregnant at baseline :(
    Oct 2017- Donor #2: 25R, 22M,18F, 12 blasts frozen! Fresh transfer cancelled due to thin lining with fluid :(
    Nov 2017- Hysterscopy to remove polyp
    Dec 2017- DE FET #1 on 12/8 on 2 perfect blasts- BFN and devastated
    Jan-Mar 2018- ERA #1- Post receptive by 24 hours, ERA #2 RECEPTIVE with 4 days of Progesterone
    Apr 2018- DE FET cancelled for lining issues :(
    Jun 2018- DE FET #2 of two 1AA blasts- first BFP ever! Beta 10dp5dt- 378, Beta 14dp5dt- 2840, Beta 16dp5dt- 4035, beta 18dp5dt- 10916. Due on 2/20 with one baby after a vanishing twin
    Baby Born born early @ 33.5 weeks due to Pre-e
    Back for # 2!
  • IlkyIlky member
    Is Alice and Emma test the name of the other test that they can do along with the ERA biopsy? I will ask my doctor when I go in next week to see if they check for endo as well! I hope you got your second baby! 
  • IlkyIlky member
    @JamieH2000 and I totally remember you from 2018 boards! I had my first successful transfer in March of that year
  • @ilky- yes your name sounded familiar!! They usually just do a CD 138 stain (through like lab Corp) to check for endometritis. But the Alice and Emma test is new (thru igenomix- who also does the ERA sequencing). You can check it out on their website! If your RE doesn’t do the Alice ans emma yet, def still request the CD 138 stain.

TW- I’m 7 weeks today with baby 2 after two failed transfers of pgs normal, so it can just take a bit!!
    History in Spoiler

Age: 32 (same with DH). Together since 2006, Married June 2013 and TTC since August 2015
    Diagnosis: Mild Endo, DOR (AMH of 1.5), Poor Quality Eggs/embryos, Displaced Window of Implantation (ERA Post Receptive)
    March-May 2016: 1 TI and 2 IUIs- BFN 
    June 2016- Laproscopy- found/removed mild endo and confirmed only 1 normal healthy ovary.
    August 2016- IVF #1 with Antagonist Protocol- Cancelled (2 lead follies), converted to IUI- BFN
    Oct-Nov 2016- IVF #2 with Estrogen Priming Micro Lupron Protocol, 2 eggs retrieved, day 3 transfer of 1- BFN
    January 2017- New RE, IVF#3 with Estrogen Priming Antagonist Protocol, 12 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 day 5 early blasts transferred (none to freeze :(), BFN
    May 2017- Sept 2017- Starting Donor Egg process! Waiting for donor to be available... and then she is pregnant at baseline :(
    Oct 2017- Donor #2: 25R, 22M,18F, 12 blasts frozen! Fresh transfer cancelled due to thin lining with fluid :(
    Nov 2017- Hysterscopy to remove polyp
    Dec 2017- DE FET #1 on 12/8 on 2 perfect blasts- BFN and devastated
    Jan-Mar 2018- ERA #1- Post receptive by 24 hours, ERA #2 RECEPTIVE with 4 days of Progesterone
    Apr 2018- DE FET cancelled for lining issues :(
    Jun 2018- DE FET #2 of two 1AA blasts- first BFP ever! Beta 10dp5dt- 378, Beta 14dp5dt- 2840, Beta 16dp5dt- 4035, beta 18dp5dt- 10916. Due on 2/20 with one baby after a vanishing twin
    Baby Born born early @ 33.5 weeks due to Pre-e
    Back for # 2!