September 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps w/o 2/8

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... Breast pumps! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite [breast pump]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [breast pump] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on [breast pumps]:

For FTMs:
  • [Breast pump(s)] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Here is the schedule for the product spotlights to keep track of the topics and threads: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BFKfcrp0DX8dvYklwMEyqaex6ixXUoJ2zRbYirApXd4/edit?usp=sharing 
*TW LC*
Me & MH: 32
DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
TTC #2: 12/2019
Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

Re: Product Spotlight: Breast Pumps w/o 2/8

• Favorite [breast pump]: Spectra S2
    Link/picture: https://www.spectrababyusa.com/store/s2plus/
    Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): free through insurance
    What you like about it: it has a back flow protector so milk and condensation don't get into the tubes and then into the machine itself. It is a closed system so you can actually use a used pump (I got a second one used for free from a local mom so I could have a home pump and a work pump). The massaging and vibration is much more comfortable than Medela pumps. I used Medela Symphony pumps at the hospital and Ronald McDonald House after DS was born and that was a good pump but very strong and it's hospital grade so you usually have to rent them or they are very expensive. 
    What you don't like about it, if anything: It wasn't battery powered or very mobile. TBH I used my pump time as my sit on my butt and mess around on my phone and I only had the one baby at the time so it was never really an issue but potentially pumping with a toddler running around I might need to be more mobile. With the S2 I ended up buying a car adapter power strip for road trips so I could pump in the car. It was bulky but it worked. 
    Is there a [breast pump] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Spectra S1 because it can be battery powered but I am concerned the battery wouldn't be as strong or effective. Possibly the Spectra 9 or a BabyBuddha pump because they are portable. I am concerned about a Elvie or Freemie cups because I tended to get more in a session than would fit in those cups and you would have to switch them out mid session. 
    Additional thoughts on [breast pumps]: I was an exclusive pumper with DS because he needed breastmilk fortified with formula to up his calories because of his low birth weight and he wasn't gaining weight so I had the whole system hacked. I used the Spectra pump with Medela parts (flange and connector) because the screw top of the Spectra flange really only fits Spectra bottles but the Medela fits a bunch of different size bottles including the storage bottles that I got from the hospital. I also had two sets of Medela parts from the two hospitals so I just needed the converter to the Spectra backflow valve. In the morning, after DS was STTN, I would pump into the 8 oz Dr Brown's bottles that actually hold closer to 10 oz and then during the day I would pump into the storage bottles form the hospital. For valves I liked that the Spectra valves were one less piece to wash but I did find that they wore out faster than the Medela valves + membranes. I changed flange sizes once or twice especially as my breast tissue started to relax and get pulled into the flange more. Definitely check the fit of your flange and try different sizes. Lastly towards the end up when my breasts were really relaxed I started using Pumpin Pals help hold my breast skin in the flange and get better suction. 

This is the most important part, if you plan on breastfeeding, get a hands free pumping bra NOW! Chances are you will need to pump at some point and when you're in that pinch and need to pump holding the flanges is just awful. I did that for the first two days, then when we got to the NICU they gave me some tube top like fabric to cut holes into to pump and then I quickly Amazon primed a pumping bra. Also if you have the hands free bra you can massage while pumping both sides. 

I think that's all I have, thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
    *TW LC*

• @krash_ The Spectra S1 is what I'm leaning toward this time! I had a Medela PISA with my first, but I never responded well to that pump. I'm considering adding Freemie cups to the Spectra S1, but two of my coworkers had Willow and didn't love it.

I'll definitely be stalking this thread, since I'll have to rely on the pump a lot more with this baby!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the Spectra S2 and pretty much agree with everything @krash_ said -- it's definitely bulky which is a pain since I pump at work and have to lug it around and it would be nice if it was battery powered or chargeable because then you are dependent on the location of outlets (again, this is more annoying if you pump outside of your home and have less flexibility). But it does the job and is easy to clean, so overall I'm happy with it and I don't plan to switch pumps for this next baby. 

sidenote - with DS1 I had the Medela pump in style and I found it worked just as well as the Spectra and I was perfectly happy with it - the one thing I like more about Medala is that their pump parts are sold everywhere, so if I needed a replacement or if I forgot a part at home I could just run to the store instead of having to order online and wait. 
  • @chewie5990 I think Spectra has gotten popular enough in the last few years that their parts are available in store now. I have at least seen them at Target. 
    *TW LC*

• I love the Medela Freestyle Pump:

It retails for over $400 CAD, but check your insurance as mine covered $300 so not bad. I've used for my 2 boys and its still in great shape. I replaced the tubes when my second came and ill probably do the same when this one comes as they can get a bit gunky. I love that I can put on my pumping bra and its battery operated so I can walk around. Would highly recommend!
  • I have two of the medelas and would love to try a spectra this time around just to see the difference. It is such a pain cleaning the little tubes/getting them to dry! 
  • I've heard people love their Spectras.  I used the Medela Pump in Style and rented the Medela Symphony.  They were okay and maybe if I didn't have such supply issues I would have liked them better.  This time around I'll be trying a Spectra.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • muggsdmuggsd member
    edited February 2021
    • Favorite [breast pump]: I’ve only ever tried the Spectra S1
    • Link/picture: amazon
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): free through insurance
    • What you like about it:
              I LOVE that it’s battery powered. I charged it about once a week (pumping 1-3x per day) but I could have left it longer. It’s fairly easy to clean because it’s a closed system. Also has a nightlight, and is small enough to be fairly portable. It’s also quieter than medela (so I’ve heard). I used it in a tent at camp and the people sitting at the campfire couldn’t hear it so that’s a bonus. (See edit for more)
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: the bag it came in kind of sucks. But like, that’s a super minor complaint 
    • Is there a [breast pump] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I wouldn’t replace this thing unless it breaks. If I did I would get the same one! 
    • Additional thoughts on [breast pumps]: 
    I was so terrified to start pumping with my first that I didn’t start until my milk supply was established, and then it took forever to get enough because I was trying to increase again. With my second I started earlier which helped hugely because my milk supply stabilized to include a full pumping session. That way I had a way better freezer stash than with #1. So, I would recommend starting to pump before you actually intend on using the bottles! If you can make it a daily routine even better. 

ETA: also a HUGE bonus is that the flanges are compatible with Philips Avent bottles!!!! So I can pump directly into a bottle instead of transferring. 
  • Had anybody tried willow?

I know it’s really expensive, but they say with the bags there’s no leaking; and, now they have the reusable reservoirs as well. I’m hoping for something I can be more active with- and maybe even be on the floor doing some charting or something at work.

I had a very difficult time getting the time to pump and to find a private room each time. The closet I used previously is now where the n95s are stored - so I would not expect privacy there...Willow is my latest brain wave on what I might be able to do differently this time
  • Also - my number mom new mom must have for everyone is a Haaka! I used mine starting at about 2 weeks PP a few times a day and was able to get a decent freezer stash going before I even touched my pump (started pumping when I returned to work 12 weeks PP). I still use is every morning at 8 months PP and it's just a super convenient way to get a little extra milk!
    • Favorite [breast pump]: Medela Pump in style. 
    • Link/picture: 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):~$300 CAD
    • What you like about it: I liked the carrying bag it came with.  I was able to pump anywhere because it used both batteries or an outlet.  Came with lots of accessories including a cooler bag to store milk if you didn't have a fridge. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything:I never had any problems. 
    • Is there a [breast pump] you don't have but are considering? Why?: No
    • Additional thoughts on [breast pumps]: I exclusively pumped with my first because I could never establish a latch with my son.  I did however have a huge supply.  
  • I used the medela pump in style for my first but am thinking of the freestyle for this one. 
    The one thing I would recommend for anyone pumping is the brauxiliary band - it converts any nursing bra into a pumping bra! 
    Brauxiliary Hands Free Pumping Band - Works with Your Bra! (Plum) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074CKSNT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TY70F7D9FRHJT16NKNKW
    Pregnancy Ticker