Names? - Page 3 — The Bump
October 2021 Moms

Names?

13»

Re: Names?

• kandb4kandb4 member
    We have 3 boys already...so I feel like I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel on boy names we still agree on 😂

right now I like alfie Sutton or sutton hayes for a boy

For a girl either hazel bennett or elliot holland or holland bennett. Loved the name Harper for years but then ds started school and became besties with a Harper and it lost it's magic

mia8263
  • Loading the player...
  • Opinions wanted. We have tentatively decided on the name Elias (Eli) Joseph V. Joseph would be after my grandpa, but we're not set on that.

Is the flow okay or is the "PH" into the "V" sound awkward? Is there anything tease-able about the name? I googled the first and last name combo, and all that popped up were gravestones/obituaries and a ballet dancer with beautiful extension.
    chindimples04
  • Loading the player...
  • @aztecash Kids can come up with a way to tease everyone given enough time, but nothing obvious comes to mind. Sounds fine to me. My husband had some similar thoughts, but my counter was that someone's full name is not going to be said out loud very often. As long as the middle name itself isn't strange, nobody will bat an eye if the sounds don't flow as well as they could.
    aztecash
  • @aztecash I don’t think it’s too much at all. Also Google initials! We wanted BTK for DD but that’s a serial killer. 🙈
    TTGP October Siggy Challenge - Pets in Costumes

TTC History

Me: 26 DH: 26

TTC #1 | June '18-August '18 | DD | Born April 21, 2019 | Due May 10, 2019 | May '19 BMB

TTC#2 | June '20-Present

pizzaplzaztecashgingermama46
  • @chindimples04 Thanks for that reminder. Nothing came up. I almost chose a different name for DS because I worked in social services at the time and his initials w/o middle name are DV. Never would have thought of the implications if I hadn't worked in that job, but I saw that abreviation occasionally. 
    chindimples04
  • mia8263mia8263 member
    @aztecash I’ve said no to so many names because I’m a teacher 
  •  There are two names I could be happy with for our Baby. One is Audrey (my paternal grandmothers name) and Freya (my deceased father’s name is Jeffrey and this name is a feminized version of the last half of his name. I’d love to honor either family member.

They both sound good with DD’s name (Ariadne, her nn is, of course!  Ari. Ari & Audrey and Ari & Freya sound good to me. SO is on board with Freya but I haven’t mentioned Audrey yet because it’s the one I want more (it’s my grandmothers name and we were really close). I’m afraid he’ll reject Audrey.
    kandb4pizzaplzgingermama46
  • Love the name Freya - it's also a name of a norse goddess
    mac-n-cheesy
  • @mac-n-cheesy I think they both sound cute.
    mac-n-cheesy
  • madiiroseemadiirosee member
    @mac-n-cheesy ugh we both wanted Audrey so badly until I found out my cousin who is due this week is most likely naming her daughter that. I should’ve known since we both had the same great gramma with that name 🤣
    mac-n-cheesy
  • vampirinavampirina member
    Would it be weird to give our kid a name the same name as my husband's cousin's kid? I feel like it'd probably get less weird as we get older (and inevitably drift apart). We see them a few times per year - Christmas, family camping weekend, and usually one more other get together.  

If it was my cousin's I honestly wouldn't think twice about it because there are so many on my mom's side that it'd seriously eliminate over 100 names (tbh I can't even name all my second cousins!) and my dad's side lives on the other side of the country,  so we see them once everytime someone gets married or dies. 
  • madiiroseemadiirosee member
    @vampirina I thought it would be weird unfortunately, because my moms side I only have 3 female cousins I see every holiday consistently. My cousin who is having her baby this week also tried for years to get pregnant, was going to do ivf then got pregnant naturally. I just feel like that adds to the weirdness if I were to name our daughter the name she picked too. Probably just a me thing but, meh. 
    Honestly it sucks that she picked the name I wanted, but it allowed me to expand my taste on names and now we’ve picked one I love just as much if not more. 
    cenzosmomma
  • noprobalonoprobalo member
    @vampirina I would probably not do that, myself. Maybe if I never saw them, but I feel like it would be kind of awkward to have multiple get-togethers per year. Luckily my and my husband's cousins mostly gave their kids names that we'd never ever use.
    galentine
  • @vampirina I have a very large family with loads of cousins and second cousins and we took all those names off the list. But it’s a personal preference.

TTC History

TTC #1 | June '18-August '18 | DD | Born April 21, 2019 | Due May 10, 2019 | May '19 BMB

TTC#2 | June '20-Present

galentine
  • @vampirina I would probably not let that stop me if I loved the name. You can give yours a nickname used at family events or call them fn mn when you need to be specific which kid you’re yelling for. 
  • Actually @vampirina I just realized that due to mixed families/steps we have this in my family. There are two “Jessica”s who are (step) first cousins. We’re adults now and we still sometimes have to clarify which one we mean when we’re talking about them but it’s clearly not a big deal since I forgot it was a thing in my own family. 
  • @purplegoldpirate we have the same thing. My Aunt has a Jessica and my dad (my mom is her step-mom) has a jessica. It was obviously not planned since my mom wasn’t married to my dad when he had my sister, but it wasn’t the end of the world. 

TTC History

TTC#2 | June '20-Present

purplegoldpirate
  • bumphibumphi member
    @s-trout-96 My mom has been saying for years I should use Olivia 🤣
    Olivia is a great name but it is a very common name. In fact, it is one of the top girl names in English.
  • cait32cait32 member
    I have tons of cousins and I’m not opposed to using names that have been used but I think it depends on how much you see them. I’d rarely see most of mine so doesn’t feel like a big deal, especially if it’s a “common” name (were Irish so like Patrick and Daniel are used a million times). My first cousin is actually Caroline Elizabeth and we want to use Carolyn Elizabeth. My cousin goes by carlie and this baby will go by an Elizabeth nickname. I never see carlie and the baby is named after MIL not my cousin. So I figured it’s fine.
    DSS: March 2006
    DD: July 2017
    DS: February 2019
    BFP #3 TW ended in CP March 2020
    BFP #4 - TW ended in CP August 2020
    BFP #5 - due October 2021
    mac-n-cheesypurplegoldpirategalentinemia8263
  • kitandcatkitandcat member
    @vampirina I think that if I had someone I saw a few times a year, I probably wouldn’t do their name unless I was naming my child after that person. If you didn’t see them regularly then I think that’d be better. But that’s just my opinion! If it’s going to be fine for you and your family then go for it!! My DH has a cousin that we’ve seen twice in the last 15 years that I’ve known him, his name is Peter and I love that name for a boy, but DH won’t consider it since it’s his cousin. Which is so frustrating because we never ever ever see him. But oh well 😭
  • vampirinavampirina member
    @kitandcat I think part of my reasoning of it being okay is that I have a very VERY common 80s girl name and I have so many friends who share it that I see regularly and its never been an issue. Even one of DHs cousins share my name and its literally NBD, so I'm like does it really matter? Its not a family name, and I'm not so attached to it that we couldn't be swayed into something else, but its also the only name we can currently agree upon liking. 
    purplegoldpiratecait32kitandcatgalentine
  • @madiirosee A few months before I had my son, my cousin named her dog Oliver 🤣 (our great grandfathers name). I never see her so oh well lol
    madiiroseevampirina
  • @vampirina I'd probably say go for it if you think you're likely to drift apart. I was close with my cousins growing up but now that we're older, we don't even really do holidays together anymore. Our kids won't grow up together. I don't think it'd be weird for them to have the same name.
  • kitandcatkitandcat member
    @demimondaine when I was born, my dad called his best friend and said “It’s a girl! Her name is Sarah!” And my dads friend laughed so hard because that was his dogs name at the time and my dad just totally didn’t even think of it 🤣🤣

I’m not sure how long Sarah the dog lived but I don’t have one single memory of that dog other than this story so I’d say NBD 🤣🤣🤣
    galentinepurplegoldpiratedemimondaine
  • k_rn21k_rn21 member
    So... I’ve been pretty lazy on names lately and mostly because my DH is dead set on his pick already. Plus I wanted to use family names and make them meaningful but that’s proving to be kind of difficult. 
    DH picks, Lane Michael for a boy (I’d rather not use Michael. I like Lane Matthew or Richard (after my dad) and if it’s a girl he wants Lainey Rae. Why am I so ... undecided... usually I have more of an opinion but at this point I’m just kind of like.. eh 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • k_rn21k_rn21 member
    @vampirina 🤣🤣🤣 perfect! How did I not know this? Haha. Thank youuuuu.
  • @k_rn21 I really like Lainey Rae! 😍

TTC History

TTC#2 | June '20-Present

k_rn21
  • noprobalonoprobalo member
    @tiffyg07 Did Asher beat out Gad and Naphtali? 🙂
    purplegoldpiratecenzosmomma
  • tiffyg07tiffyg07 member
    Sadly, yes!