September 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Car Seats w/o 2.1

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... car seats! Please stick to infant car seats so buckets or convertible car seats that are safe for infants. 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite [car seat]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [car seat] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on [car seat]:

For FTMs:
  • [car seat(s)] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Here is the schedule for the product spotlights to keep track of the topics and threads: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BFKfcrp0DX8dvYklwMEyqaex6ixXUoJ2zRbYirApXd4/edit?usp=sharing 
*TW LC*
Me & MH: 32
DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
TTC #2: 12/2019
Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

Re: Product Spotlight: Car Seats w/o 2.1

• Options
    Favorite [car seat]: Uppababy Mesa

Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $300

What you like about it: if you're getting the Vista the mesa is an easy choice because it clips right into the frame without any extra adapters. The base is really easy to install and the height and weight limits make it so you can use it well into the first year and beyond. I have also taken all the fabric off multiple times to wash it and it was fairly easy to take off and put back on. To me it wasn't too heavy, on it's website it says the weight of the seat is under 10 lbs. All car seats will feel heavy when you've got a 20+ lb baby in them. 

What you don't like about it, if anything: nothing

Is there a [car seat] you don't have but are considering? Why?: nope. We also have a convertible car seat (Graco Extend2Fit) that we started using for DS after the Mesa that you can use for infants but we will be using the Mesa again to tote the baby around 

Additional thoughts on [car seat]: if you have specific requirements for configurations and what will fit in your vehicle go to group Car Seats For Littles on FB. You can post your specific car and how you want your seats configured and they will point you to the right car seats. Also consider the height and weight limit for seats, they will probably outgrow the height first so be mindful of seats on the lower end of the limit and know that you might have to transition out of them sooner. Also watch a lot of YouTube videos about installation and get your car seat inspected before baby comes. Oh last thing, don't drive around with a car seat installed in your car for weeks or months before baby comes. The base is fine but the bucket seat can be damaged or stolen. 

*TW LC*

• Options
    For S+TMs:
    • Favorite [car seat]: 
      Infant - Britax be-safe 
      Convertible - Graco extend2fit (but honestly I wish we stuck with Britax) 
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Britax - $$, Graco $
    • What you like about it:
      Britax - I really like Britax - I like that they have a steal frame (other seats do too) and the straps never ever get tangled, easy to install, and the seat has held up perfectly with 2 kids. Also since Britax has a steal frame the seatlife is 10 years instead of 7 years (plastic frame). 
      Graco - The extend2fit is a good seat and it has extended rear facing which is important to us. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything:
      Britax - it's flipping heavy so if you are someone who carried the infant seat around (restaurants, store, etc.) by the time baby is 6 months that seat can get pretty weighty! Also it's a bit bigger than some other bucket seats, so might now work as well in a small car. 
      Graco - I feel like the straps are always getting tangled up and I think it's more difficult to get a tight install on Graco seats (but maybe it's just my car..) 
    • Is there a [car seat] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
      We are trying to decide what car to get over the summer and so we might be doing 3 across, in that case I might switch to Diono seats for the convertible and a Chicco seat for the infant because they are the narrowest seats for a more comfortable 3 across set up. If not I will probably still replace the Graco convertible with a Britax convertible - I just really like our Britax infant seat more than our Graco convertible.
      Correct seat install is the most important part of carseat safety! All carseats must meet the same minimum safety standards - just because it's more expensive doesn't necessarily mean it's safer! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    • Favorite [car seat]: Infant seat - Graco Snugride Snuglock 35 (oops I thought it was called Click Connect)

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): On sale could easily get for under $200 CAD

• What you like about it: It's a fairly light car seat. It has its own travel system options but we just got an adapter for it for our baby jogger stroller instead. It's good for up to 35 inches (hence the "35" in the name). Love that we could just pop the baby in the car seat, in our warm house, and snuggle baby up in it before going outside to the car. It's not a big, clunky car seat so it hasn't been a big deal for us to store after kiddo #1.

• What you don't like about it, if anything: I would say my kiddos got uncomfortable in it around their 1st birthday, before they hit the 35" limit. However we probably would have upgraded them at that time anyway.

• Additional thoughts on [car seat]: Think about convenience vs $$ spent on multiple car seats. Would you rather invest the money from an infant car seat plus stage 2 car seat into one really good quality stage 1-3 car seat? Or would you rather have the convenience of popping a sleeping infant in and out of the car  but then have to buy 1-2 more car seats for the kiddo down the road?
  • Options
    IdleFancyIdleFancy member
    edited February 2021

• Favorite [car seat]:  Infant — Maxi Cosi Mico Max 30 // Convertible — Maxi Cosi Pria 85 
    • Link/picturehttps://albeebaby.com/maxi-cosi-mico-30-infant-car-seat-emerald-tide.html  // https://albeebaby.com/maxi-cosi-pria-85-max-convertible-car-seat-nomad-purple.html 
    • Cost: The Mico Max is $200, the Pria is $329, but you can almost always get various colors on sale. I got ours for $150 and $250, respectively. 
    • What you like about it: We live in Texas, so breathable fabric is a must. The Maxi Cosi seats use a moisture wicking fabric that really keeps our little one cool, even in 100 degree heat. That was the biggest deciding factor for us, apart from safety! The Mico is also really lightweight, uses machine washable fabric, is super safe, and comes in lovely, uncommon colors. We usually babywear and didn’t use it with strollers, but it’s also compatible with a lot of mainstream stroller brands.  
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: The straps occasionally get twisted, which can be a pain. It’s also a little long, so if you have a compact car, that’s a problem. 
    • Is there a [car seat] you don't have but are considering? Why?: We passed our Mico on to friends, so I’ve been looking at other infant seats. I’m tempted by the Uppababy Mesa and liked the Britax B-Safe when we tried it while traveling, but will probably just buy another Mico.  
    • Additional thoughts on [car seat]: Check with your local fire station to see if they do installations/installation checks! You can learn a lot from YouTube and brand video tutorials, but it’s nice to have the peace of mind that your LO is super safe. 
  • Options
    Does anyone love the regular Chicco Keyfit? I used a Graco 35 or maybe even 40 before, but didn't love it because it was big and heavy. My first was tiny, and I expect this one to be tiny as well. Plus, I don't like to use the infant seat for very long. Once they're around 4 months old, I prefer using a rear facing convertible that's rated highly for tiny babies and can grow with them for longer. For the time that we'll use an infant seat, I want it to be lightweight, on the smaller side, and preferably inexpensive. 
  • Options
    • Favorite [car seat]: Baby trend EZ lock
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $
    • What you like about it: the triangle top on the bucket seat is the bomb. I also had a graco bucket seat for DS1, it was alright. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: My kids are massive so it was really hard to carry them in the bucket seats after a few months. 
    • Is there a [car seat] you don't have but are considering? Why?: The slim fit seats. Unless we’re getting another vehicle? Although I guess I really need to look more into seats since mine are expired! 
  • Options
    • Favorite [car seat]: We had the Graco SnugRide Snuglock 35 DXL for the first 6m. and the Graco Extend2Fit Convertible one
    • Link/picture
      https://www.gracobaby.com/car-seats/infant-car-seats/snugride-snuglock-35-dlx-infant-car-seat/SAP_2079998.html
      https://www.gracobaby.com/car-seats/convertible-car-seats/extend2fit-convertible-car-seat/SAP_1963212.html
      The infant one is on sale for $200 and the convertible one is on sale for $160 
    • What you like about it: The infant carrier is nice, it came with our stroller travel system, but I didn't think it was too heavy or too bad. The convertible one is great!
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: The Infant one was a bit big for the backseat of our Altima, but hubs and I are both tall so we need the seats back kind of far. Getting my giant 1 year old into the convertible one in the car is rough too, she's been bonked many times, but that's not the carseat's fault
    • Is there a [car seat] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Nah
  • Options
    @Aerialmrs I know a lot of people who have the chicco keyfit and they all love it! I've heard it's super light and chicco is known for having the easiest/best install! 
  • Options
    Has anybody had the Nuna Pipa Lite? We have the Uppababy Mesa and I’m considering switching this time around to something a little less heavy. 
  • Options
    @runningonindie I just looked it up because I thought there's no way it can actually be light enough to matter compared to other car seats and especially for the price. It's only 5.3 lbs!  :o Most other car seats are closer to 10 lbs. 
    *TW LC*

• Options
    @krash_ I know it’s crazy I keep hearing about it.... I’m definitely going to take a look at it in person. I’m a small person who had a 95%tile baby and by the time she was 4 months I was squishing her into the mesa and seeing a chiropractor 2x a week for neck and back problems.... I’d loveeee to avoid that this time so I’m thinking I might do this super light seat and the adapter so I can use it with my Vista stroller 
  • Options
    I think we are getting a Britax carseat because that's the base my IL's already have from my nephew and it would be one less base we have to buy. 🤷‍♀️ SIL offered us my nephew's old infant carseat, but I'd rather get a new one.
  • Options
    @Aerialmrs I have a chicco key fit and a maxi cosi. I adore the key fit. The ergonomics carrying it are superior to any others I’ve tried- so even when it’s not the lightest it is the easiest to carry

(I ended up buying the maxi cosi because my double stroller (City mini gt double) is one of my favorite practical items I’ve ever owned, but it doesn’t have an adapter for chicco.)
  • Options
    • Favorite [car seat]: chicco key fit
    • Link/picture: https://www.chiccousa.com/shop-our-products/car-seats/infant/keyfit-30-infant-car-seat/61472.html?dwvar_61472_color=Orion&cgid=gear_car_seats_infant_car_seats#start=1
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $200
    • What you like about it: easiest to carry, installing the base is super easy
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: doesn’t have adaptors for my favorite stroller
    • Is there a [car seat] you don't have but are considering? Why?: diono convertible because both of my  children have long torsos and the 5 point harness goes taller than other brands. (If I’d’ve had any premonition of this happening I’d’ve saved myself a lot of money just ponying up for this at the start for DD1 who is very tall)
    • Additional thoughts on [car seat]: The right seat isn’t the same for everyone. Be mindful of how you will all fit around it in your car! Oh, and, the car seat lady blog is a great resource!
  • Options
    +1 for Chicco key fit! And I love that I was able to find an adapter for the Uppa Baby Vista to click right in. 
  • Options
    Awesome, I'm sold for the keyfit!
  • Options
    CentralmnmomCentralmnmom member
    edited February 2021
    We had a chicco key fit with our first and it was great.  The only thing was DD was a little heater and the fabric didn't seem to breath well so her back would be soaked in the summer.

Has anyone had the Evenflo proseries litemax?  I'm getting 2 from my SIL's cousin who had twins a year ago.  Gotta save money where you can with twins and  I know these have been taken care of properly.  We won't be having more kids to use them more than once to spend big money on 2 new carseats.

Edited to add I loved our Graco extend2fit.  I thought it was easy to tighten the straps since it my car you could reach the straps in back of the seat to give give extra leverage when tightening. 

Pregnancy Ticker