June 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 01/12: Breast Pumps and Accessories

Hello! Now that we know what our babies will wear, let's figure out what they're going to eat! Today we are kicking off a three-week sequence of Baby Feeding Products. Today: Breast Pumps and Accessories (coming up next week: Formula, and then Bottles the following week).

Breast Pumps! An object sometimes of a great love-hate relationship. STM: what breast pump did you use? How do you feel about it? Would you get the same one again? 

Aspects to consider about breast pumps:
  • Breast Pump functions: how do you like the power, the rhythm, the options for speed and suction during pumping? And how has it held up with long-term use? 
  • Portability: does it have a portable charger? Car charger? Batteries? Does it come with a bag to carry around? If not, what bag do you use?
  • Accessories: does the basic pump purchase order come with options for flange size? Storage bottles to pump into? If you got extra accessories, what were they and where did you get them? Do you recommend a particular pumping bra as an accessory?
  • (Accessory hacks: if you get your hands on a different brand of accessories, do they fit across different pumps? Do you recommend an adaptor (third party or otherwise) to smoosh different brands' accessories together?)
  • Cleaning: how? What do you use? Basic soap+water or did you have a special sterilizing set-up?
  • Affordability and access: where and how did you get your breast pump? Did insurance cover it? For those US-based, ACA guidelines had all (most?) insurance programs cover a breast pump for free--does anyone have experience post-ACA-reducing measures under the current administration? Are secondhand markets a good option?
Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

Re: Product Spotlight 01/12: Breast Pumps and Accessories

• Options
    I pumped a lot for DD1 because of my full time job, and my favorite is the Spectra S1. It has a battery pack that lasts for about 3 days before needing to be recharged, which was so nice for baseball season (DH was a coach). It's dual, so it only took me about 15 minutes to pump enough for one feeding.

My insurance doesn't cover breast pumps (grandfathered 🙄), but I was able to score one off Facebook marketplace for only $20! Replacement parts are easy to find on Amazon. I had a nice fabric cooler that I used as a pump bag and threw a smaller cooler with bottles and ice packs inside. I also didn't sanitize my parts between pumps but would just rinse and throw them in the cooler, and wash at the end of the day. I just washed in hot soapy water, and used a bottle drying rack for all the parts. 

This was helpful when suction would start being less effective:   (although I probably waited twice as long as the recommendations)
    Your complete guide to replacing and recycling breast pump parts - Pumpables

I chose Avent bottles because they fit on my pump, and stayed with the size newborn nipples because I was still BFing as well.

My second baby never took a bottle and was exclusively breastfed. However, I did use my Haaka "pump" a lot during the first few weeks and put about 100 oz in the freezer. The Haaka is a collection bottle that suctions to the opposite breast that you are feeding on. It collects the letdown and lets you start on a freezer stash without having to set aside time to pump!
  • Options
    I don’t pump a ton since I’m a SAHM but I have the spectra with the rechargeable battery and it’s worth it! Not having a the extra cord and being able to move around a little was really helpful. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mc0303mc0303 member
    edited January 2021
    I pumped a lot with my son bc of a NICU stay and gradually became exclusive BF. 

I used the Spectra with the battery although my battery somehow died. I used insurance but had to pay an upgrade fee for the version with the battery. 

Spectra parts are sold at Target! Which are easier and cheaper for me than ordering on Amazon. 

I was pumping so much that I bought a ton of bottles to pump into and just stuck them in the fridge until I was ready to freeze a batch. I had to buy a chest freezer for all the milk. 

My fav accessories:
    - Medela sterilizing bags: stick the pump parts in microwave and in a few seconds💥 all clean!
    - Medela tender care lanolin: I tried all the other brands and liked this one the best. Smoothest and easiest application for me
    - whichever freezer bags were cheapest 

I also read “The Complete Book of Breastfeeding”. The BFing class I took at the hospital was helpful for me. 

Breastfeeding was really hard for me at first and I almost quit a million times. It got easier as baby and I got the hang of it and I ended up loving it so much. Def recommend reaching out other moms or lactation consultants when you’re starting out (if you want to keep breastfeeding). I found that it did not come naturally to me. 

also! Don’t feel pressured to breastfeed! Do whatever is best for you and your family. 

Also also! +1 for the Haaka. I used it in the shower too (yes it sticks!). 

Get a good pumping bra.
  • Options
    @AKuzReve thanks for starting this one!! 

I have used medela pump in style the past two rounds. Exclusively pumped for ds1 (6 months) and while at work for ds2 (nursed at home, 1yr). These pumps were adequate (what insurance covered) but I'm interested in trying something new. 

Did any pumpers have supply issues? I don't respond well to the pump and it's always been a challenge for me. 

Definitely getting a haaka this time- what I didn't realize the first time is that at the beginning of breastfeeding, the let down instinct is so strong that both side will let milk out, even if baby is only attached to one side. Catching the milk from the other side with the haaka keeps it from being wasted. 

As a working mom with a commute, a car adapter and a handsfree bra were clutch. I used to pump on the way in to work and on the way home. I had a whole car set up. 

Second @mc0303 - breastfeeding was very difficult for me. Both my kids had tongue and lip ties. I had flat nipples with DS1 (pumping helped with that for ds2). I have low supply issues- possible bc of the autoimmune disease I've only just been diagnosed with. Breastfeeding was very important to me and I felt like a failure, a bad mom when it didn't work with DS1. Please don't feel like that if it doesn't work for you. With ds2, it was important again so I reached out to a lactation consultant prior to ds2's birth so that connection was already made. It helped me feel comfortable reaching out when BF wasn't working the second time, and we were able to fix the issues so that I could nurse for 1 yr. 
  • Options
    With DD I had the Medela PISA, I got one for free through insurance and then ordered another one so I could have one at home and one at the office. I was a super pumper at first but made some rookie mistakes with my supply and really struggled to produce when I returned to work, which broke my heart. I'm hoping to have a better experience this time and to be able to mostly just nurse since I'll now be WFH for the foreseeable future/forever. 

I soaked my pumping parts every night in hot soapy water in one of those helpful plastic tubs they give you when you give birth and then would also wash them with baby soap and a bottle brush and then dry them on the flower drying racks that come with the grass. At work I would just bag the parts in Ziploc and keep them in the refrigerator in our lactation room between pumps. 

Question: I get another free pump through insurance this time and am considering trying the Spectra, but I have sooo many Medela parts and am wondering if it will be a huge pain to have to buy all the adaptors. Any STM+s have experience with switching from Medela to Spectra or using both?
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• Options
    @legallykate I tried some Medela adapters with the Spectra bc it was what I used at the hospital. It was such a pain 🙈 I quickly switched to all Spectra parts. The awesome thing about the Spectra is that there are so few components...Just the flange and the duck bills. 
  • Options
    With DS1 my supply never came in, so we were forced into exclusive FF. With DS2 he was a preemie (33w) with kidney disease so I worked my butt of to establish BF with him. I used the hospital medela sonata for all of 2 days before switching to my spectra S2.
    Pros of the Sonata: Easy to use (great when you're sleep deprived), extremely readily available parts, great suction, have heard great things from parents who didn't have supply issues, closed system pump (milk does not enter pump tubing)
    Cons of the Sonata: Hurt my nipples, didn't boost my supply, PITA to thoroughly clean
    Pros of the Spectra S2: Very few parts to clean (flanges and valves), great massage setting to start milk flow, wide variety of suction settings, lightweight and easy to transport, boosted my supply like CRAZY, closed system pump
    Cons of the Spectra S2: Parts were hard for me to get at the time (though it seems to be easier to find them now, check your local stores), the S2 doesn't have an internal battery- you're tethered to the wall charger
    All of that being said this time around I got a Spectra S1 which fixes the battery issue which will be nice for being in an office, I'm stocking up on pump parts in advance to make sure I don't struggle to get replacement parts if something on my pump does need swapped out. Spectra does not sell bags specific to their pumps, so you will need to find one that works for you. The spectra S1 and S2 pumps come with two flange sizes (24mm &28mm), and you can order larger or smaller flanges if neither of those work for you. It also comes with two bottles and all of your tubing, valves, etc that you'll need for pumping as well as a wall charger.
    My favorite off-brand accessories: Nenesupply and Maymom have great off-brand spectra supplies including thread changers to pump into bottles from other brands.
    My favorite cleaning supplies: Aside from standard soap and water, to sterilize my pump parts every few uses I love the medela micro-steam bags. You can use these bags 20 times each and they're about $1/bag. Medela also has sanitizing wipes and a sanitizing spray if you're going to be pumping somewhere you can't wash your pump parts right away.
    Favorite milk storage bags: I've used both up&up bags from Target and the Kiinde twist bags and I love them both. I plan on alternating those this time as well. I don't recommend the lansinoh bags- they leaked a lot for me when thawing my milk. Kiinde usually has a deal where you can get a free starter set through them (20 storage bags, adapters for your pump, and some feeding and storage accessories) if you want to try them out before committing the money!
    My favorite pumping bra: Kindred Bravely Sublime Hands-free Pumping & Nursing Bra- wide variety of standard AND busty sizing depending on your needs.
    My favorite manual pump: Y'all I cannot stress this enough GET A HAAKAA!! I know I'm not the first one to mention this on this thread and that makes me really happy. I plan to get two. They're great to catch milk if you tend to leak from the side opposite of the one you're feeding babe on so you don't lose any of your milk and they suction nicely to help easily relieve pressure if you can't get to your electric pump. I'm getting two because I drive long distances regularly and can't always stop somewhere where I can pump. With the Haakaa manual pumps I can pump EASILY at a rest stop, gas station, wherever I happen to be.
    @_orchid_ See above re: supply issues. Switching from the Medela to the Spectra made all the difference for me, personally!
    TTC History- *TW* LC
    Me: 24 Dh: 46
    Married: 10.2018
    DS #1: 06.2014
    Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG), Emergency C-Section
    MC: 03.2017- 5 Weeks
    Rainbow DS #2: 07.2018
    HG, 19w Fetal Surgery, 24w PPROM, 33w Placental Abruption, Partial Uterine Rupture, Emergency C-Section
    NICU, Chronic Kidney Disease
    TTC #3: Medically Cleared 12.5.2019, had a bunch of problems and wonky cycles
    BFP 10.13.2020 EDD: 6.26.2021

October 2020 TTGP Signature Challenge: Pets in Costumes

• Options
    mc0303mc0303 member
    edited January 2021
    Also! I followed legendairymilk on IG for a ton of awesome pumping and nursing hacks. Was super helpful! Also I liked that they post in the middle of the night when other peeps are nursing or pumping away 😂

ETA: *I keep thinking of more things*
    I heard from the LCs to stick to a low flow nipple if you’re bottlefeeding a BF baby. We used preemie nipples and size 1 nipples whenever we bottle fed. It keeps them working so they’ll also work at the breast. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    Ok I had the Ameda with my son, got the PISA with my daughter. I used the PISA, but I responded much more to the Ameda. The PISA was just easier to travel with. 

I exclusively pumped for both kiddos. The first was 3 weeks early and a “lazy latch” and preferred to be passively fed by bottle. I was 24 and starting medical school in 3 months. We supplemented formula from the beginning with him, and I stopped pumping at 3 months when I started medical school. I had enough stash to supplement with both until 5 months. I wish I would have gone more. But 🤷🏻‍♀️

My second was a 31 week NICU baby. I could have fought trying to BF with her, but that would have turned into more hospital time. I pumped until 6 months with her. Enough freezer stash until 8 or 9 months. Bought a deep freezer. I wish I was supported more in residency to continue pumping, but I just was done. 

The lanisoh or whatever freezer bags △⃒⃘lways leaked upon unfreezing. Until I figured out putting in a container to put in fridge for defrosting, I lost a lot of milk 😭

my insurance only covers the Ameda this time. I had given away all my other pumps. I also bought Elvies on Black Friday and added a Hakaa to my baby registry. 

I used the Kinde system last time. It was nice, but when my daughter would throw her bottle the tops didn’t stay on. And again lost a lot of milk. 

Our preferred bottle is Avent. Doesn’t leak and they have a silly cup trainer transition cup which is the only reason I was able to get my daughter off the bottle 🙌🏼
  • Options
    @legallykate I think I'm making the switch to spectra too. Will probably bring the pisa out as back up though
  • Options
    With DD I had the Specta S1 (paid for the upgrade through insurance). I worked full time so pumped on the way to work, at work 2-3x and on the way home. Loved the pump, didn’t love pumping though, I always felt like a milk cow. 

My insurance covered extra parts and different flange sizes, so I got enough parts for each pump and kept them in Tupperware containers to keep dirty separate from clean, brought them all home to wash each night. 

I only sterilized my parts for first use, after that I washed in soapy hot water and dried on baby bottle rack. Sterilizing might be necessary for premie or immune compromised though. 

Tips:
    - Ask SO to wash the pump parts, it is one of the most tedious parts of pumping, and a great way for them to contribute.
    - Check with insurance or program you order through about free extra parts or different flange sizes. 
    - Get nipples sized or do it yourself. A good fitting flange will not damage your nipples and help with supply. 
    - I know this is about pumps, but definitely find a breastfeeding class or lactation person while still pregnant. It helps so much! You can fix inverted nipples while pregnant. 
    - Use nipple cream (Mothers Love is my favorite) religiously, before and after BF, and for pumping! 
    - spend extra $$ on good bags, it is heartbreaking when you lose good milk to leaks

Changes for this time: Since I still have my Spectra, I am debating getting an Elvie this time around. And I am adding a Haakaa for sure! I wasted so much milk with letdowns. Anyone use silver nipples? Curious if they work? 
  • Options
    I had the medela pump in style for DS. I upgraded with insurance so I could have the battery pack for when I traveled for work. I had a whole setup in my office and was able to purchase a screen for privacy so I could work and pump. I didn't know any different so I will say that this worked for me but I struggled to make just enough milk for DS for daycare for the next day. It was rough and I had a hard time freezing milk for when I traveled. 
    I actually planned out a whole month of pumping schedule in advance of when I was going out of town for a conference for a week. I ended up adding a pumping session at 3 am (and I worked while I did it). 

I still have the pump but plan on calling insurance to see what is available now and if I can switch to a different brand. I'm also sold on purchasing a haakaa, gosh reading the reviews and I look back to 4+ years ago and I could have really used one. 

Storage when I planned to freeze milk, I used either the medela or lansinoh bags as they were available at Target. I think the medela ones had a handle that was incredibly annoying when pouring milk into a bottle. Eventually in my sleep deprived state I determined that I could snip the handles then pour the milk and have no loss. 🤦‍♀️

Cleaning the pump parts I used hot, soapy water every evening when I was home. At the office, I stored the parts in a bag and just rinsed them off in between sessions. 

I used kellysmom.com for all things breastfeeding. Particularly during the middle of the night sessions. I used that site more than I want to admit. 

The hospital I delivered at had a LC visit twice a day to assist with feedings and that was super helpful as I had no idea what I was doing. I also setup a few appointments after I left the hospital since DS had lost so much weight. They were super helpful and I had flat nipples so I was provided with a ton of breast shields that really helped.

BF was definitely a journey and it was important for me to provide so I'm glad we both stuck with it and it really became a big part of our day. Heck I couldn't get this kid off the boob until 22 months he really enjoyed the morning comfort routine (and I enjoyed the extra five minutes nap). 

• Options
    @ramzlau YES on getting SO to wash pump parts. This was one of the best ways MH contributed to breastfeeding my last LO.

TTC History- *TW* LC
    HG, 19w Fetal Surgery, 24w PPROM, 33w Placental Abruption, Partial Uterine Rupture, Emergency C-Section

• Options
    Full disclosure: I breastfed my first babe successfully for 13 months and my second for 15. I never really responded well to a pump and only did it to have a bit of a stash for when I needed time away. 

My doctors recommended not pumping for the first 6 weeks to let your body regulate on its own before adding extra “feedings” and increasing production unnecessarily 

My first I used a double electric : Philips Avent Double Electric. 
    I found it okay. It did the job but I found I got more out of it if I did one at a time and almost had to massage my boob to get any flow at all. 

My second I was really engorged really quickly and baby couldn’t latch since I was too full. I had DH grab me a Philips Avent manual hand pump so I could release a bit before feeding for a better latch. I ended up loving this pump and used this exclusively for the entire time I fed. I responded so much better to this. 

Take aways: 
    - figure out what you want to achieve from pumping (to feed while you’re away, replace the breast, to have a small stash for time away or to release pressure etc) 
    - not that you might respond better to a simple manual over an electric. 
    - think about where you’ll be pumping and if it needs to be cordless or you’re okay corded. 

Tips:
    - invest in good breast milk storage bags if you’ll be freezing. I used the lansinoh ones and made a switch to a wal mart brand and every time my mom or husband would defrost we’d lose a pile of it through tiny pinholes. 
    - if you’ll be pumping a lot get a sterilizer. 
    - get a bottle warmer that can defrost from frozen. Allows you to only take out what you need instead of it spoiling 

Rules for storage:
    666 rule (I would write the date in a whiteboard marker on the bottle and in a sharpie on the storage bag)
    6 hours on the counter 
    6 days in the fridge 
    6 months in the freezer
    Also if you start to defrost it can go back in the freezer as long as ice crystals are still formed 
    you can add more to previously pumped milk as long as it’s the same temp (ie pump in the morning and put it in the fridge. Pump pm in new bottle and put that in the fridge, combine once same temp) and always date with your oldest milk that was added. 
  • Options
     I had a breast reduction when I was 23, so I was unsure about my ability to breast feed. DS was born when I was 30. It took about a week to get DS going with breast feeding. I had to use a small plastic device can a nipple guard to get DS started with sucking, then break the seal and remove the shield. He got the hang of it though and it was worth toughing it out for a week to go on to nurse for 12 months. I suggest doing your research before hand. It helped me mentally when DS was having trouble.

I had a Medela pump and really liked it. That said, I was lucky and did not have supply issues like many have mentioned. I had a wedding I was in as a bridesmaid when DS was 6 weeks old, so I started pumping at about 5 weeks postpartum. I needed to have enough for my parents to feed him from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. What I read suggested to start pumping I've a day after your first morning feed because your have a great supply after a night when baby may go a longer span without nursing. DS was usually awake at 6 a.m. I would wait 1.5-2 hours then pump. This would give me enough for a bottle to store and enough time before the next feed to have a supply.

Other tips
    - sounds corny, but I read that looking at a photo of your baby or a video of your baby can help you when you pump. I usually did this for the first few minutes of pumping in the early months. Not sure it did anything, but I figured it couldn't hurt.
    - drink water! Like waaaay more water than you thought you could. You will be thristy, so it should be hard. I would notice the difference between pumping on a day I worked out and one where I didn't if I was not careful about rehydrating.

@kristah2 thanks for the reminder on 666 rule!
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• Options
    @DoubleUp8 omg the water. Good tip. Do not sit down to feed or pump without the biggest bottle of water you’ve ever seen!! So thirsty all the time! 
    I recently bought the “stay hot keep cold” bottle from lululemon and it’s amazing. My water stays ice cold for like 8 hours. I’ve been drinking wha more water then usual so I’m looking forward to it while breastfeeding. 
  • Options
    Yes all the water!! I haven't been good about drinking so just bought the biggest water bottle ever to motivate me to drink. Figured it would be good for nursing too!! I have to carry all my water for the day into work so I always feel like I'm taking 100 bottles- this should make it easier lol

• Options
    @_orchid_ That bottle is amazing! Where did you get it?

~~Signature~~
    **TW Living Child**

• Options
    _orchid__orchid_ member
    edited January 2021
    @DoubleUp8 Amazon! It's bigger than I thought it would be (thanks to short stubby fingers I can't hold it in one hand) but surprisingly I've almost emptied it already today. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0868Q7M18/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HzkaGb8B2T6FQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • Options
    Omg yes to water. The thirst. It’s unparalleled. 

I’m gonna rename this in the morning to breastfeeding because it’s weird that this is breast pumps but then next week is formula.  🤔🤔 thoughts?? 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Options
    So... because I'm a FTM and have never breast fed before or used a pump, do you have to clean or wash the pump parts after every single time you pump and use it? How do you wash it? Just soapy hot water or special cleaner etc? 
  • Options
    @mindyb2019 warm soapy water is perfect bc it’s just milk 🤷🏻‍♀️ You can actually pump and then stick the parts in a ziploc gallon bag and put them in the fridge until next time. I’d wash them out at the end of the day. If you leave them out for long after you use them, you should wash them. You can also use the Medela steamer bags and stick them in the microwave. Super easy and fast. 

Personally, I kept a ton of spare flanges (the funnel looking things that go over your nipple) that way I always had clean ones when dirty ones were in the dishwasher. Washing parts and bottles is so miserable. 

ANOTHER BF-ing accessory: nursing pillow. I loved the Brest Friend pillow bc it gave me more support. You only really use them when they’re tiny and can’t support their own heads. I’ve had friends who have used the Boppy nursing pillows or towels rolled up under their heads. 
  • Options
    @mc0303 thank you for that information and tips. greatly appreciated! 
  • Options
    Another FTM question.  Did you find you needed to warm up stored milk?  How did you do that?  I'm reading that you let frozen milk thaw in the fridge, but its nots clear to me if you just give it to them cold, let it come to room temp or what.  Thanks!
  • Options
    @ellieemc26 I always just used a glass of hot water (hot from the tap, not by heating) to warm the bag (or bottle) milk. I did not have a bottle warmer or anything fancy. I even used this strategy to thaw milk. One glass to thaw, empty glass, refill with hot water and put the bag in the glass of water to warm. I always felt like this was easiest because you can get a glass of warm/hot tap water anywhere.
    ~~Signature~~
    **TW Living Child**

• Options
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• Options
    edited January 2021
    @mindyb2019 I second @mc0303 suggestion to store pump parts in a gallon ziplock in the fridge. It helped that I had a mini-fridge all to myself, so I could store bottles and pump parts as they were. The bottle rack is nice to dry pump parts on, we also got a “clutch” container for the dishwasher and washed parts that way. @ramzlau is right about having DH wash parts to help out. Keeping up your pregnancy habits of demanding other people bring you food and snacks and being tethered to a giant water bottle helps, too. 

I enjoyed the book “Work, Pump, Repeat” and “The Fifth Trimester” about working and pumping. 

The Haaka is the best! I leaked a lot and the Haaka helped me catch it, build a big freezer stash and worry less about covering a week of daycare. I spent so much time worrying about all the pumping logistics and supply issues while I was pregnant. In the end, DD nursed constantly and between her and the Haaka for 3 months I ended up donating a lot of milk because we had extra. I ended up pumping while at work until DD was 14 months old and she self-weaned at 31 months. 

I also got a Spectra S2 with my own money since insurance only covered one type of pump and it was not great (fellow govies take note!). Spectra was quite gentle, easy to use and clean, and quiet- if that’s a priority for you, personally I’d rather people can hear and know not to interrupt, haha. I also used a Lanisoh hand pump for when DD started sleeping longer. In that sense, she weaned herself through the night much faster than I did! 

@ellieemc26 defrosted milk does get warmed up. You can put hot water from the tap in a glass measuring cup and let the bag hang out for a minute or two to get warm. I had to ask MH what he did because if I was ever around DD would just demand the boob :lol:

For moms who still have pumps from older kids, are you replacing them? Can they get professionally cleaned somewhere? I know pumps and pump parts, milk bags, nipple cream, etc. can get reimbursed by an HSA, but I’m wondering if I can get by with the Spectra I have. I pumped at work a couple times a day, four days a week for almost a year. 

Also, not sure if insurance covers them, but is anyone else curious about “in-bra” wireless pumps? Evie and Willow make this type and it seems really intriguing to have that much mobility, and modesty, while pumping. 
  • Options
    @llamamamawearspajamapants My insurance gives a new pump each pregnancy so I’m gonna get one again and keep my older one too. With new tubing and duck bills you should be more that ok with your Spectra. 

Def check out some YouTube video reviews for the in-bra pumps. I’ve watched loads and decided ehhh not worth the $$$$ yet
  • Options
    @mc0303 I think if I was an exclusive pumper or someone who pumped while driving an in-bra pump would be nice. That way you could keep walking with a stroller at a park instead of hiding in the car. Also, my good friend was an exclusive pumper for a year and was always paranoid she was going to get pulled over while driving and pumping, haha. 

At this point though, I enjoyed the forced “me time” that pumping created at work. That and I’m not sure how much space there is for massage with the in-bra cups. It is exciting to see the technology evolve though :smile:
  • Options
    @llamamamawearspajamapants - I didn't replaced my Spectra with my second. Since it has the back flow protection, the actual pump should never be dirty. I did replace all my parts including the tubes. 

I've heard the in-bra pumps aren't very good with suction yet, so I'm passing on that.
  • Options
    @llamamamawearspajamapants I am really curious about the Elvie too! I did find out my current insurance would cover $200 of it, but I am going on H’s insurance in a few weeks, so not sure if the new one will. I have heard they are very finicky. It can take a lot of patience/tips to maximize output and best scenarios I have heard is when they are used with a spectra or another pump that empties the breasts better for a few of the pumps a day. For now I am waiting to see what happens with a new job to see if it will be worth the cost. 
  • Options
    Had the Spectra with battery for DS and scored a second for free from our local moms group. That way I had one for work and one for the car. Cut way down on what I had to carry back and forth and I could still pump on the commute. Definitely check your local groups out if you want a backup! 

I may be an outlier here, but I hate hate hate the normal pump flanges or whatever they’re called. The thought of those with a pumping bra and trying to pump during my plan in my classroom almost gave me anxiety. I found the freemie attachments that hooked up to the spectra the day before I was supposed to go back to work. Thank you, Amazon 1-day. Best thing ever. They still hooked up to the spectra so the suction/power was fine, but so much easier to set up and use. Just slip them in the bra and done. Will definitely use those again this time! 

Also seconding the haakaa and alllll the water. I had almost permanently chapped lips. Couldn’t keep up on the water! 
  • Options
    Did anyone use Aeroflow to get your pump?  Last time I went directly through insurance and only had two options, one of which was a brand I still haven’t heard of.  I ended up with a 50$ upgrade charge for a PISA.    

On the aeroflow website they give me so many more options and the upgrades are a lot cheaper too.  So I want to make sure it’s legit before I start the process lol 
  • Options
    @sgrn18 I used aeroflow for my first. It was a good experience. My OB actually sends your information to the rep and they reached out to me. I’ll go that way again so I can have a second pump. 
  • Options
    @klj0228 awesome!! I’m going to go ahead and put my order in then lol might as well get a jump on things. 
  • Options
    Ok, I finally made my first real expensive purchase today. I found a spectra S1 breast pump online and went and met the lady and bought it. Yay! So excited to use it and hope I made the right choice. She also gave me a box full of goodies and pump wipes and a bra to wear for hands free pumping. Extra parts and nipples and bottles that are still brand new in the box unopened. She also gave me a cute diaper bag from free thats in fantastic condition and looks new. 😁 score!! im nervous cause I hope I didn't jinx myself by buying baby stuff. Im always scared to early in case baby doesn't come like with my previous losses. 
  • Options
    @mindyb2019 Sending you love! First purchases can be hard, especially with a traumatic history. One day and one milestone at a time. 💜
    TTC History- *TW* LC