June 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 12/30: Baby Monitors

Hi everyone! This week we're spotlighting baby monitors, those magical devices that help us get some rest in a different room from baby. 

What baby monitors do people have? What functionalities of your baby monitors do you use? Just audio-visual or do you also play lullabies or talk to your babies? And in a larger sense, what were your guidelines and recommendations for choosing one? Range? Image quality? The attraction of WiFi-enabled apps on your phone? Connection security? Would or did you choose the same one for a second baby and beyond? Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

Re: Product Spotlight 12/30: Baby Monitors

• Options
    I never had a baby monitor until my DS was 8 months old. I have the lollipop camera and I love it. It's easy to set up, easy to travel with, and easy to use the app. I hate traditional monitors because it fuels my anxiety if it's just on and I can hear him. This I just close and open if I need to check on him or before I go to bed. I never need a monitor to hear him as his bedroom is right beside ours and, unfortunately for me, I hear him if he cries, even if he's just crying out between sleep cycles. 

• Options
    I love our Nanit. This was on MH list of baby things to look into and he picked the Nanit. I know nothing about monitors lol. It’s great. Tells you how long they slept, what time they woke up, etc. It is useful for calculating wake windows, which is how we sleep trained. 

It’s an app on your phone so you can check it from anywhere. I got friggin sepsis 🙈 last time I gave birth so it was nice to see my baby while I was in the hospital. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ah yes I would 100% get a nanit if I was in the US/Canada. It’s so cool!

• Options
    I also have a Nanit! It mounts directly above the crib. It has a light, plays music, and can be talked through. The app is great. At night we leave the app open on an old iPad. The app also has night mode so the iPad isn’t too bright when trying to sleep. And one of the best features is the breathing band technology that measures the baby’s respiratory rate.
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• Options
    I have the Summer Infant Panorama, and it came with an additional camera so I think I will stick with it unless something happens to the screen :).

I received it as a gift from my boss and no complaints, it works great! I still keep the camera on with the sound off and DD is almost 3. 
  • Options
    I’ve been eyeing the Nanit! It looks like it comes as a wall mount or floor stand, I thought you could mount it directly on the end of the crib? 
  • Options
    I think my biggest suggestion is get a monitor with VOX. This means the monitor only clicks on when the noise in the room reaches a certain level. So you don't have the bright screen or that white noise kind of buzz/hum going constantly. It was a life saver for my sanity and my ability to sleep. It also saves battery power. 

With DS I had it on the most sensitive setting to stary, but as he got older I lowered the sensitivity so every snuffle or cough didn't set it off. 
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014