June 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight 12/22: Diaper Bags

Today's topic is a very fun one: Diaper Bags! You will need to carry around a bunch of baby gear, so you may as well make it cute! Or if not cute, at least comfortable and organized. Or if not organized, at least easy to wipe off various baby fluids. Or if covered in baby fluids, sounds like you could use some cheering up with a cute purse. Circular and impeccable logic. 

Do you have a brand, or particular bag within a brand that you recommend? How about general shape (backpack, over-the-shoulder, smaller tote for quicker excursions)? How many diaper bags do you have, and do you stash them in different places (e.g., do you have a "car diaper bag")? Do you and your partner and other caregivers use the same bag, or do you have a variety? Do you rely on the organization built into the bag, or do you use additional storage solutions like baggies or insertable slots? And really, what do you even PUT in your diaper bag? Did you bring your entire nursery and also a pharmacy and also a Toys R Us in your diaper bag with a newborn? And do you just bring an old rag and like half a diaper when your baby is 1 year old and you're over it? Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

Re: Product Spotlight 12/22: Diaper Bags

• I'm a total minimalist so less is more for me. I definitely recommend backpack style. I have the Freshly Picked Diaper Bag and I love it! It's pretty, which is a bonus, but also very functional! Wide pockets, lots of storage/organizational aspects, and easy to carry around. You can use it both as a backpack or hang it around the stroller with the tote strap (or whatever it is called). 

When DS was little, in the bag we had: 
    - Nursing cover, 1 muslin blanket just in case, 1-2 extra cloth diapers in a cloth diaper bag, pack of wipes, pack of tissues and sanitizer, changing pad that came with the diaper bag, ziploc with an extra change of clothes (if clothes get wet, you can just put it into the ziploc and everything stays dry), and (as he got older) a little bag with his banana toothbrush (best thing ever!) and atom rattler. 

Now we carry much the same except no nursing cover and epipens and a single dose of his emergency allergy medicine. And I just carry disposable diapers because he rarely needs a diaper change outside of the house. 

My husband uses the same diaper bag and we have no car so just one bag needed. I don't think a ton is needed in the diaper bag. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Diaper bag backpack is the way to go. Never been in LOVE with a diaper bag before so started from scratch. 

We did get the Micralite DayPak on Black Friday 

it’s waterproof which is helpful in Florida (especially for theme parks) and looks like a hiking pack. It’s not glamorous, and I don’t know how functional it is either lol. It got good reviews tho 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a twelve Little backpack and it’s wonderful. It’s gotten a little discolored around the zippers so I might replace it but I’ll look for another twelve Little because it’s just a great practical backpack. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Count me in as another for backpack style! My old one is a Ferlin that I still plan on using this time around as well. We were also gifted an over the shoulder bag that I'll keep packed as my husband's grab and go bag for when I'm working. I plan on getting a bag specifically for my pump for work as well. When I pack my diaper bag, what I put in it depends on where we're going.
    Grocery store trip: A handful of diapers, a pack of wipes, an extra outfit, a changing pad, and a nursing cover
    Day trip: All of that, more diapers, a couple more outfits, a couple toys, and a blanket for naps
    Adjust from there as necessary. Age is also a factor- teething toys, medicine to help with gas or pain relief, etc. may all be necessary depending on your baby's specific needs. I've always found that I never regret OVER packing my diaper bag but I've 100% regretted under packing.
    TTC History- *TW* LC
    Me: 24 Dh: 46
    Married: 10.2018
    DS #1: 06.2014
    Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG), Emergency C-Section
    MC: 03.2017- 5 Weeks
    Rainbow DS #2: 07.2018
    HG, 19w Fetal Surgery, 24w PPROM, 33w Placental Abruption, Partial Uterine Rupture, Emergency C-Section
    NICU, Chronic Kidney Disease
    TTC #3: Medically Cleared 12.5.2019, had a bunch of problems and wonky cycles
    BFP 10.13.2020 EDD: 6.26.2021

October 2020 TTGP Signature Challenge: Pets in Costumes

• @ashaislurking I am a chronically underprepared. We have these baby books that ask questions for you to respond to each month. At some point one of the questions is, “worst blow out” and for both my kids the story involves an understocked Diaper bag. Maybe I’ll be better with this kid? Probably not, though. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • -Do you have a brand, or particular bag within a brand that you recommend? 
    I was gifted a coach diaper bag and love it!
    -How about general shape (backpack, over-the-shoulder, smaller tote for quicker excursions)?
    Tote (medium-large size)
    -How many diaper bags do you have, and do you stash them in different places (e.g., do you have a "car diaper bag")? Just that one
    -Do you and your partner and other caregivers use the same bag, or do you have a variety? Yes, DH uses the coach diaper bag as well
    -Do you rely on the organization built into the bag, or do you use additional storage solutions like baggies or insertable slots? My diaper bag is not super organized 
    -And really, what do you even PUT in your diaper bag? Did you bring your entire nursery and also a pharmacy and also a Toys R Us in your diaper bag with a newborn? 

When DD was a newborn/infant: 2 full changes of clothes, diapers, wipes, changing pad (came with bag), extra pacifiers, toys, hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, nursing cover, blanket, formula and bottles
    Now that DD is 19 months- 2 full changes of clothes, toys, blanket, diapers, wipes, hand sanitizer, snacks, sippy cup
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• legallykatelegallykate member
    edited January 2021
    Late to this but we have this bag (but in solid black) and have been really happy with it for almost 2.5 years: Skip Hop Baby Duo Signature Diaper Bag, Multipod https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NFJM3MG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_vg27FbEDRGC9H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 

DH and my mom (our nanny) use it too. It has plenty of pockets for organization and is a good size and the strap is super nice. And we’ve made use of the portable changing pad it comes with too so bonus. 
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• We had a messenger bag diaper bag with DS. We switched to a regular back pack after a year old because it fit more and was easier to carry as we started to move away from using the stroller. This time around we got this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DQSWS3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_clp8FbBBXJDBQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

We only had one diaper bag. It went where ever baby went. Packed with diapers, wipes, doggy bags for dirty diapers in case there wasn't a yeah can near by, change of clothes in a ziplock to have a bag for the wet/dirty clothes, back up pacifier, toy or two, blanket, and nursing cover.
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014