May 2021 Moms

🥧Meal Plan Monday - Thanksgiving Edition! 11/23

Options on what to share this week! Either share your meal "plan" as usual OR share a favorite family holiday recipe - type it out, link it or -best option- include a pic of the recipe if it's been handed down.

Re: 🥧Meal Plan Monday - Thanksgiving Edition! 11/23

• I was planning to make a pumpkin cheesecake, but since we aren't going to my inlaws anymore and my husband doesn't like pumpkin I'll probably make apple pie.  We'll do turkey, green bean casserole and cornbread dressing.  Maybe mac and cheese, we'll see.  

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• yellingbananayellingbanana member
    edited November 2020
    We usually have 2 Thanksgiving meals: Thursday traditional food at my moms, and Friday Mexican food at my house with all of my inlaws. (I am half Mexican and DH is full)

This year, we are staying home and no one is coming over. So on Thursday I’ll be making our Mexican feast of enchiladas, red rice, beans with chorizo, and a fresh salad with avocado. 
    On Saturday I’ll be making the traditional dishes (but not all): smoked turkey, garlic mashed red potatoes and gravy, sautéed mushroom with cream dish, brussel sprouts, pumpkin pie, and a tray of Mac n cheese (it’s for the kids). We tend to eat more Mexican food regularly, so my kids aren’t that into the traditional Thanksgiving dishes because I only make them for Thanksgiving 🤷🏻‍♀️.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • @yellingbanana I may have to hit you up for some good mexican recipes.  I had temales once when visiting family in CA and they were so good.  When I asked my cousin for the recipe we had a hard time translating some of the ingredients to english, so I haven't tried to make any yet.  All I know is that making them is an all day affair

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• ec1212ec1212 member
    edited November 2020
    Here’s one of the two cheese ball recipes my fam makes (pic in spoiler). I can’t find the port wine one I like at stores, so I’m making this one this year. Serve on a cheese board with crackers. 

• I had one good week of meal planning, and am back at staring at my freezer in despair, trying to decide what to make. Will probably make tuna noodle casserole one day this week, but that's as far as I've gotten.
    For Thanksgiving, we're not very traditional, my MIL usually does a bagels and lox brunch, and then makes these "turkey dinner" cookies for dessert

The tablecloth is frosting, the turkey is caramel, the green beans and cranberry are sprinkles, and the sweet potatoes are gummy candy.
  • I made beef and noodles last night so we will eat that tonight for dinner too, and probably tomorrow since it made a ton!

I also have stuff to make buffalo chicken baked potatoes. I just put a few chicken breasts in the crockpot with buffalo sauce for a few hours and then shred it and put it on top of baked potatoes. We top it with either ranch or blue cheese, carrots and celery.

For Thanksgiving it will just be the three of us. We were planning to have my in laws over but that changed so I will still plan to make the green bean casserole, the stuffing, and the oreo cheesecake. They were bringing the ham so I'm not really sure what we will have as our protein. I also have stuff to make mashed potatoes so I'll make those too.
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • I think my fiancé will be doing most of the cooking this week even though I think I'll allow myself to help out a little, sitting down, so I'm trying to keep it simple.

I took chicken thighs out of the freezer, I'm hoping to make Greek lemon chicken soup tonight although I'm still wondering if I'm allowed to eat it, but worse comes to worse I'll cook my serving longer (we add raw eggs to the broth and them let it cook for a few more minutes)
    https://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/greek-lemon-chicken-soup-kotosoupa-avgolemono/

Tomorrow will be steaks, mashed potatoes and brocoli.

We already had our Thanksgiving here in Canada, so no Holiday feast for me!
  • We’re just eating pasta and salad between now and Thursday, but here is our pescatarian thanksgiving menu for two:

- Mushroom stuffing
    - Mashed potatoes
    - Savory sweet potato casserole 
    - sautéed green beans 
    - freshly baked dinner rolls 
    - shaved Brussels sprout salad 
    - mushroom gravy 
    - some sort of nicely prepared cod 
    - cranberry sauce (made from fresh cranberries ... DH loves canned but it’s too jelly-like for me) 

and dessert:
    - Cranberry curd tart (almond flour crust, so GF even though we aren’t GF)
    - maple pumpkin pie 
    - pecan pie bars 

@ec1212 what’s the corn casserole like? Sounds so interesting!! 
  • ec1212ec1212 member
    edited November 2020
    @ccmrc143 it’s like a cross between cornbread and more of a soufflé. here’s the recipe (this is a small casserole, but to feed a crowd during non-COVID times just double everything). “Oleo” is margarine - I use butter. Stick to 1/4 stick for the small casserole or 1/2 stick for the large version. 

• edited November 2020
    I might have to hide until after thanksgiving. I love the full dinner with turkey, gravy, stuffing and cranberry sauce with mashed potatoes, yams, squash, and a good pie. 

But we don't celebrate thanksgiving here and I have no excuse to go crazy cooking. But if I keep seeing all these food lists and thanksgiving YouTube videos I might convince my husband to let me cook a spread and share it with the neighbours or send it to church. 

When I was teaching, they would do a thanksgiving brunch and most classes would have breakfast food because they weren't too familiar with thanksgiving food, but I would go all out cooking a turkey and sides and give them a real thanksgiving meal. I miss those days. 

And tomorrow I have my Costco run, and I know thy have super cheap turkey drumsticks. It will be doubly hard not to make a crazy thanksgiving feast. It tastes so good. 
  • brynn_mamaof4brynn_mamaof4 member
    edited November 2020
    For breakfast we will have scrambled eggs, sausage balls and blueberry muffins. For snacks during the day I’ll have out shrimp cocktail and I got things to make the largest charcuterie board ever 😊. For dinner we will have turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, steamed green beans and apple-cranberry-sausage stuffing (and making mac n cheese for my youngest). For dessert I’m making a blueberry crisp and we have vanilla ice cream. 

There will be way too much food but 🤷🏼‍♀️ Good leftovers I guess!