1st Trimester

Didn’t take folic acid before pregnancy - scared!

Hi everyone! 
Just found out I’m pregnant on Monday- we had been trying to get pregnant for so long I became lax on taking prenatal and hadn’t taken any for at least a couple months - now I’m filled with worry that I’ve done damage to my baby! 
Anyone out there have similar situation or unplanned pregnancy without prenatals that turned out ok? I’m so worried! Obviously now that I know I’m taking them and eating extra healthy. 

Re: Didn’t take folic acid before pregnancy - scared!

• It's probably completely fine.  People find out they're 'surprise/oops' PG all the time and only start taking prenatals after that.  If you have any concerns, ask your doctor.
    #BitterHagPartyOf1

Melody Pond GIF
  • Hi everyone! 
    Just found out I’m pregnant on Monday- we had been trying to get pregnant for so long I became lax on taking prenatal and hadn’t taken any for at least a couple months - now I’m filled with worry that I’ve done damage to my baby! 
    Anyone out there have similar situation or unplanned pregnancy without prenatals that turned out ok? I’m so worried! Obviously now that I know I’m taking them and eating extra healthy. 

There’s nothing that you can do about that now. It is what it is, but now that you know you can aim to do better. Mention it to your doctor and hopefully it will all turn out ok.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • The US has added folic acid to things like bread, cereal and other carbs for this exact reason. You are probably totally fine. But definitely discuss with your OB and there are tests they can do to look for neural tube defects. 
  • Hi everyone! 

Seriously? Let's be honest the idea of folic acid it modern.  You really think that past generations took folic acid supplements?  Their kids turned out all right.  Many women become pregnant unexpectedly and have healthy kids without it, also.  I never took it prior to pregnancy and never heard of it until my 1st pregnancy visit. Not being on it DOES NOT CAUSE DAMAGE.....
  • Agreed - don't worry! But start taking one now and you will have high level in your body by the time baby's neuro system is all developed.