March 2021 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Baby Monitors

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing baby monitors! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite baby monitor:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it: is there a baby monitor you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Are there baby monitors  you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on baby monitors?:

For FTMs:

• Baby monitors you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrF0iah5XaJFdFTHzNVcIEq4ujZTwq_j1bG9W-bovNs/edit#gid=0
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Product Spotlight: Baby Monitors

• Options
    Ok I can definitely use help with choosing a new monitor.  the one we had with my daughter is pretty much on its last legs (or at least the receiver is, the camera is still working fine) and I wouldn't mind an upgrade but still kind of afraid of wifi monitors. 

We had a summer infant monitor with our daughter. It worked well for what we needed, you can talk into it to talk back to her while she's in her room, and you can connect the receiver to multiple cameras. It used to have a good battery life but now it's crap. 
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    juliebeannnjuliebeannn member
    edited November 2020
    We have an Infant Optics monitor and it served us well.  We ended up switching over to a wifi security camera so mama could stalk the baby when she's at work but kept the Infant Optics one for sound, to use around the house and for other family members to use when they came over to watch the baby.  We stopped using the IO with our son around 1.5 but still have a Nestcam in his room.  We will set up a nestcam in the new nursery but will use the IO monitor also until they're down to 1 nap probably.  The IO monitor is actually also great for when we go on vacation, we just set it up wherever we are (even when just going over a friend's house when the baby was little).  
    Together 2007 | Married 2011 | Me: 36 | DH: 38
    Adopted Furbaby: 2014
    TTC#1 : 1/2016 | IUI #2 - BFP 12/24/16 -- born 9/8/17
    TTC#2: 11/2019 | Dx DOR (AMH 0.3), AMA
    IUI #2 - BFP 7/1/20 -- EDD 3/14/21
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We HATED our Motorola. Can’t remember which model but it basically
    didnt work unless it was plugged into the charger. We have a new Summer HD one and love it!!
  • Options
    I think we had a Motorola video one which was great except then the cord kept coming out of the parent unit and the battery barely worked. It’s trash now. My friend used infant optics and I liked it a lot. I’m gonna buy one of those this time. We also use a Nest cam in the room but I don’t like to rely on WiFi only. It’s good though for checking in when babysitters are there etc. 
    Me: 30   DH: 29
    Together: 3/2007
    Married: 5/30/2015
    BFP #1: 9/14/2015
    EDD: 5/20/2016
  • Options
    We had a Motorola one with our first that only lasted about 18 months. We got a Summer Infant for our second that has two cameras and it has been great for the past 2 years. I am wary of WiFi enabled so we never went that route.
  • Options
    I keep hearing great things about the Vava monitor on Amazon, so we finally put that one on the registry.
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
  • Options
    I had hubby do the research because he's the techie and he found Infant Optics DXR-8 Video Baby Monitor with Interchangeable Optical Lens on Amazon. It's got 4.4 stars out of over 42k reviews. 

• Options
    @kloe818 That’s the one I have and it has worked really well for us until this week. 😂 It’s being a little glitchy at the moment but I haven’t had time to play with it yet to see if it’s broke or not. As long as it starts working again I plan to get a second camera for the babies room and keep the current camera in my daughter’s room. I like being able to talk to her through the monitor to tell her to go to sleep. 😆
  • Options
    I ended up purchasing an Amazon Echo with a Blink Camera at 50% off. I hope it works out at as a baby monitor. 
    Pregnancy Ticker