March 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Cribs and other Sleeping surfaces

Hoping we can play catchup on some of these!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing cribs and other sleeping surfaces! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a cribs/travel crib/sleeping surface you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on cribs/travel cribs/sleeping surfaces?:

For FTMs:

• Crib/travel crib/sleeping surface you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IrF0iah5XaJFdFTHzNVcIEq4ujZTwq_j1bG9W-bovNs/edit#gid=0
TTC history in spoiler
Me: 31 Him: 37
Married: Oct 2015
Baby G born June 2017
TTC#2: July 2018
BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

Re: Product Spotlight: Cribs and other Sleeping surfaces

• For my daughter, we had her in our room in a pack n play with bassinet insert until about 6 months, at which point we moved her to her crib. It worked out very well, so that's what we're planning again!  

This is the crib we used
    https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/sorelle-princeton-elite-4-in-1-convertible-crib/5217230?categoryId=32776

We converted it to a toddler bed for her, and once we move (hopefully in May or June), we'll get a twin bed for my daughter and convert it back to a crib for the baby. I feel weird because this time we're not setting up a nursery or anything since we'll be moving before we put the baby in her own room. 
    TTC history in spoiler
    Baby G born June 2017

• https://m.albeebaby.com/gb-lufta-sleeper-play-yard-mink.html

this is the pack&play we got. I think it was a steal at $99 and it's practically identical to the halo dreamnest that costs 3x as much.
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
  • Loading the player...
  • DS slept in a rock n play for like 2 months so that’s not happening this time (it was recalled in case anyone doesn’t know)... I think I’ll try a bedside bassinet similar to the halo. Definitely using a swaddle and white noise machine. After the swaddle doesn’t work and baby upgrades to a crib, the magic Merlin sleep suit is amazing. We got DS’ crib and mattress for free on a neighborhood fb group... best find ever. it’s an expensive restoration hardware crib with the toddler bed converter parts and a fancy mattress!! We really lucked out. 
    Me: 30   DH: 29
    Together: 3/2007
    Married: 5/30/2015
    BFP #1: 9/14/2015
    EDD: 5/20/2016
  • We had a pack n play with bassinet that I planned to use while our first two were in our room and then move them to their crib in nursery at 2-6 months old. Both of them despised the bassinet. I'm hopeful #3 will be different so we can get some use out of it! We resorted to the Rock n Play with our second because he was not sleeping more than 30 minutes anywhere but my arms. I'm not sure what we will do if this little guy does the same.
  • @treebagel I remember in my last bump group everyone talked about how amazing the Rock n’ Play was. I was so envious cause I wanted one too but they were only available in the U.S. I also loved the Magic Merlin sleep suit. I’m so glad I saved it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We used a halo bassinet in our room the first 3 months with a dockatot (I know these aren't recommended anymore).  We used the woombie swaddle, it was the only one that could keep his arms contained. DS had a crazy startle reflex.  We moved to the crib at 3 months (it was the night before my birthday so we joke that it was a bday gift to myself lol).  The crib was a secondhand find from a friend of a friend (Graco Lauren - nothing fancy but he used it til his 3rd birthday!).  He napped a ton in his Graco swing.  Around 4 months, we switched to the merlin magic sleep suit and he stayed in that until he started to rolled over at night. 
    Together 2007 | Married 2011 | Me: 36 | DH: 38
    Adopted Furbaby: 2014
    TTC#1 : 1/2016 | IUI #2 - BFP 12/24/16 -- born 9/8/17
    TTC#2: 11/2019 | Dx DOR (AMH 0.3), AMA
    IUI #2 - BFP 7/1/20 -- EDD 3/14/21
  • We did the PNP in our room (with bassinet at first then without as she outgrew it pretty quick). She stayed in our room for the 1st 6 months then we moved her to her crib in her room. I liked having her in my room for that period as it made overnight feeds quicker. We stopped doing overnight feeds by the time she moved out. We swaddled as long as we could, she was a little Houdini. The Aden + Anais dream blanket really helped - it’s pretty heavy and it’s big, so we could do an extra wrap to keep her arms contained. She had a hard time with the swaddle transition, the Merlin magic suit didn’t help us but lots of people rave about it! She was a late roller, so we just kept her swaddled as long as we could (safely). 

Something I didn’t know and wish I did is that it’s unlikely the baby will nap in their crib/room for the first while. They’ll nap on you easily but cry when you try for the proper nap. Having a place in our living room where we could put her down to nap for a bit was really helpful and I wish we had that from the start. We used the Fisher Price on the go baby dome for this purpose, which also worked well as it transports easily so we could take it with us to people’s houses when we were going for dinner or something so she could be put down for a bit.  
  • We got the Halo twin bassinet on a really good sale this summer, it was recommended to us by a fellow twin parent. I'm assuming they'll be in our bedroom for a while, just for ease. We also have a big comfy arm chair in our room with nice high arm rests, so both MH or I can use it if needed in the middle of the night for feedings etc. 

I got a pack and play for the first floor of my house, but I didn't get one with the bassinet, am intending that to be exclusively for diaper changes etc. 

MH assembled the cribs in the nursery this weekend, we went with Jenny Lind spindle cribs in white. We're not intending to convert them to twin beds, and I didn't want anything with a really high back. 

Does anyone have any ideas about crib mattresses? Is this something I *should* be spending money on? Or does an inexpensive Graco one work just fine? 
    me: 35 / so: 34 | ttc #1 since 9/2018
    DX: MFI
    IVF Cycle #1 February 2020 4 embryos frozen, 1 fresh transfer = CP 
    FET #1 Natural Cycle March 2020 CXL'd due to Covid-19 :( 
    FET #1 Natural Cycle June 2020 - CP #2
    FET #2 Natural Cycle July 2020 - BFP!!!!!! Beta #1 = 273

June Signature Challenge - Favorite TV Quotes

• @mvt2003 I would think as long as it’s a safe, firm mattress it should be fine. Also maybe depends on whether or not you anticipate having more kids and reusing that mattress. 
    TTC history in spoiler
    Baby G born June 2017

• I have always used a Graco pack and play (I found one on clearance for $100 bucks at Babies'r'us) in our bedroom to start. The kind where there is an upper level so I don't have to bend over (especially, after a c-section).  The one I have also has a changing table attachment which is convenient for after a c-section.  We purchased a home a few months before our last baby was born and could fit a crib in our bedroom.  I like to put them in the crib because sometimes going from a pack n play to a crib can be a transition for some babies.  I think the pack n play mattress (more like a wood board) can be very hard.  I like them sleeping on a crib mattress instead.  Everyone has different preferences and sometimes space is an issue so do what works best for you!

• @mvt2003 I have never spent over $100 on a crib mattress.  As long as it is firm (which most are) you are good to go!
  • @manillabar We're feeling pretty strongly that we're done after 2, so these would literally just be theirs. 

@travandas Good to know!!!
    me: 35 / so: 34 | ttc #1 since 9/2018
    DX: MFI
    IVF Cycle #1 February 2020 4 embryos frozen, 1 fresh transfer = CP 
    FET #1 Natural Cycle March 2020 CXL'd due to Covid-19 :( 
    FET #1 Natural Cycle June 2020 - CP #2
    FET #2 Natural Cycle July 2020 - BFP!!!!!! Beta #1 = 273

June Signature Challenge - Favorite TV Quotes

• I was using something called a Cocoonababy. It’s an ergonomic mattress that mimics the shape of the womb that babies are used to. When DS was tiny, he only wanted to be in my arms or in the Cocoonababy. This time around I think I’m going to get a Babybay. I really didn’t like getting up at night, sleepy-eyed, to pick up DS from the crib. I’m also too chicken to co-sleep/bed share and the Babybay seems like the happy medium. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We kept our DD in our room in a PnP for 5 months. She was not a good sleeper so we will see how it goes this time around. We got her the Sorelle Finley crib which we love and she is still in. My one piece of advice is find a store with the cribs on display. The one I originally wanted based on online pics and reviews was flimsy and not well made when we saw it in person. So glad we made our decision in person. Will be making a trip to buy buy baby sometime soon to look for one for DS.