1st Trimester

Early pregnancy depression

I've just turned six weeks pregnant today and for the last couple of days have been waking up feeling overwhelmingly sad, depressed and anxious. Anyone else felt this? Don't remember feeling like this on my first two pregnancies. I'm currently on sertraline, 50mg a day. Just hearing anyone else's experience even would help.

Tia x

Re: Early pregnancy depression

• <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/janeywaney84" class="js-userCard" data-userid="10279554">janeywaney84</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">I've just turned six weeks pregnant today and for the last couple of days have been waking up feeling overwhelmingly sad, depressed and anxious. Anyone else felt this? Don't remember feeling like this on my first two pregnancies. I'm currently on sertraline, 50mg a day. Just hearing anyone else's experience even would help.

Tia x</div>
    </blockquote>
    Everyone is different, and each pregnancy can be different.  Please let your doctor know your concerns ASAP, in case they want to adjust your medication. (((Hugs))) Hope it passes and you are feeling better soon!
  • Thank you for replying. Yes, I'm going to ring the doctors tomorrow x
  • Loading the player...
  • edited August 2020
    Let your doctor know how you are feeling and be honest. It’s normal to have mood swings and feel up and down during pregnancy, but if it goes on for more than a couple weeks, talk to your doctor. I suffered from severe PPD with my second child and really didn’t feel that great the whole pregnancy. And after the birth, I waited way too long to get good help. Don’t make the mistakes I made - talk to your doctor, and if you’re just feeling worse and worse, get help sooner rather than later. You’ll be glad you did, and it will keep it from developing into something much worse. (I let it go way too long and got so depressed I had to be hospitalized. It’s rare but it happens. I don’t say this to scare you but just to let you know it’s really better to get help.)  It’s also better for the baby to have a mom who is taking care of herself. There are lots of meds that are safe. Get the help. 
  • Thank you for your open and honest reply. It's good to hear. I'm definitely going to ring the doctors tomorrow x