February 2021 Moms

Product Spotlight: Pillows and Sleep Gear

Pregnancy pillows? Recommendations? Anything else you’ve found that helps with the insomnia?

Re: Product Spotlight: Pillows and Sleep Gear

• cmoon3cmoon3 member
    I sleep with a body pillow when my belly gets big. I need the extra support.
  • I have a snoogle, but I have a love/hate relationship with it. It has been on my floor for the last week because right now I hate it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I broke down this time and bought a U shaped pregnancy pillow. Since I don’t have to share a bed for two months, I figured it would be a good time to try it out. I think it definitely helps me sleep better although I wish it was easier to switch from one side to the other without flipping the entire pillow, and I wish the sides of the pillow were wider. Overall I’m happy with my $40 purchase. I may buy the jersey pillow cover for it because the minky one it came with is hot. 

Then I used this and a pillow for my knees with my previous two pregnancies and I am still using it with the big pillow above. 

• KLS123KLS123 member
    @babymamadimo I also have a love/hate relationship with my snoogle. My main issue with it from my last pregnancy is I don't like the neck support and prefer my usual tempurpedic pillow. I think I'm going to cut the part off that goes under my head and just use the body/between the legs part this time around and give that a try. 
    It's also near impossible to flip sides with that thing which I do multiple times a night so that's an issue as well...

Honestly I think I would be better off just getting two body pillows on either side of me so I can flip from side to side freely and always have full back and belly support.
  • @KLS123 yes! That is exactly it—the head/neck support is not good!
  • Oh excellent review; I just ordered one of these so appreciate the detail! So you have to flip it around? Did you get the "detachable" or "fixed" kind if you don't mind my asking?
  • @animommy I got the fixed u shaped pillow
  • KLS123KLS123 member
    @animommy mine is a fixed C shaped pillow (Leach Co. Snoogle)
  • thanks! These are helpful! I’ve just started adding some additional pillows to help with positioning. I was shocked to feel like I needed extra support so early (10 weeks).

Are there any good positioning pillows that will double as a nursing pillow once baby arrives? I don’t have a ton or space or money so I’d love to minimize purchases if there are good options that can do both.
  • @manditchka24 when I sleep normally I like to be immersed in a pillow mountain so during pregnancy those pillows really call my name but I’ve had success with just using the multiple pillows I’ve had around the house. My husband really likes to snuggle so I don’t think he’d be cool with me replacing him as much as I’d love to get one haha! But anyway that’s just to say if you don’t want to double spend I think you’d be okay foregoing. I have a boppy for nursing but lots of people like the My Brest Friend and I don’t think either would work for double use. 
  • @manditchka24 you can wrap the snoogle around you for nursing. It has a bunch of different uses. I personally only used it for sleeping.
  • KLS123KLS123 member
    @manditchka24 you can really forgo special pillows for sleeping and nursing. I did buy and use a for boppy to nurse but half the time I just used regular pillows to nurse as well. And once we got the hang of nursing I didn't use a pillow at all. If your trying to pair down to necessities only, skip the specialty pillows all together IMHO.
  • @manditchka24 just for the record, I don’t sleep well when MH is gone, so that’s why I invested in a big specialty pillow. I did like the support of the boppy I linked above just for my belly during the pregnancies with my boys, but it definitely wasn’t necessary. Otherwise I just used a regular pillow between my legs and under my head. 🙂
  • I was struggling to sleep last time and my husband bought me one of the big C shaped pillows and I loved it! I folded it in half to sit and read before bed and I found with the full C shape I could roll over and be as comfortable on either side. My only complaint was leveraging myself out of it once I was massive and going to the bathroom multiple times a night!
  • edited July 2020
    I had a snoogle with DS and while I liked it enough to use it, it ended up being a waste of money. You can’t switch sides very easily with it, and a Boppy is easier as a nursing pillow so after birth it’s useless. I threw it out when we moved to Alaska because that thing wasn’t going to be easy to pack, and now I plan to just buy a king size pillow, since at least that can still be used postpartum.

ETA: and if you aren’t going to throw the snoogle out after birth (you’d want to keep it because it’s like $60), you’ve got to find space to store it for a few years until your next pregnancy. 🤦‍♀️

Signed,
    the anti-snoogler 😂
  • animommyanimommy member
    edited July 2020
    @mdfarmchick I see what you mean about the pillow being wider. I agree tho I still love it! I'm short (for anyone this could help) only 5' so it's not too big a deal for me I just am the type that can still take up the whole bed lol I can see for someone taller it may be a bit narrow but its comfy! I slept like a baby and also got the detachable. REALLY helped my hip pain. The zipper sometimes pokes me but folding the flap on the covering helps. I got the Jersey kind and it's definitely cool, so good for summer months!