November 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Bottles and Feeding

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing bottles and feeding! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite bottles:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Are there bottles you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Are there bottles you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on bottles and feeding?:

For FTMs:

• Bottles you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see

here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aqb8MGEYn0PQtTuPg16w7-ypItLmVIMNyU5AteGqodM/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight: Bottles and Feeding

• Bottles you're interested in: comotomo bottles
    • Link/picture: 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): 22.99 for two

• Any questions for S+TMs?: I’m planning to breastfeed, but will need to pump and use a bottle when I go back to work. When do you recommend introducing a bottle? Are there any other bottles you recommend for a breastfed baby? Thanks!
  • STM

we used the Medela bottles to match the pump and didn't have any issues. Since I was BF'ing we used the slowest flow nipple the entire time. Because of weight gain issues I had to supplement with bottles pretty early on (2 or 3 weeks new) and never had any nipple confusion or nursing strikes (we also used a pacifier for a few months until he quit it). We were also gifted some Avent bottles too which were fine.

Honestly from other mom friends some babies take a bottle no issue, others are picky. Some go through a million different bottle types, others pick 1 or 2 to try and wait it out. Some people recommend having another caregiver practice giving the bottles instead of mom if BF'ing (make sure you read up on/watch paced feeding techniques) a few weeks before going back to work, others wing it. Basically do whatever works for you and your family (the sum of most parenting advice)
  • Loading the player...
  • With DD we didn't bother purchasing any bottles because we had quite a few different kinds from random free sample boxes.  Once we determined what style DD liked (she was really easy, she didn't like the very wide topped ones, but Avent, Dr Browns, & Medela's she did well with) we got new nipples as needed and a few more of the bottles she liked as she got bigger.  But aside from new nipples I've never bought a new bottle.  2nd hand, clean, and sterilize.  Plus I was gifted a TON of Medela bottles from a friend which was great since I EP'd.  I wouldn't worry about registering for/getting a ton of any specific kind until after baby is here and you can try a few styles out.  

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• My only bottle advice is that if you're going to want to bottle feed at all, eventually, then start early and stay in practice. DS was breastfed, but I knew I'd be going back to work when he was 4 months, so at 2 weeks old we tried a bottle with him and he took it no problem. Buuuuutttt, we didn't keep giving him bottles (even though I knew we should, it was just too much to deal with at the time), so by the time I went back to work he didn't take them anymore. And he never did start again. Luckily work is close to Grandma's house and I was able to rush back to nurse him for the first few weeks, then once he was on solids he would just wait to nurse till I was able to get there. But it would have been a lot less stressful for everyone if he had just taken a bottle. 🤷‍♀️
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• @hedgepig this was my DS too. My mom brought him to my work to nurse. It worked out ok but I really would like this one to take a bottle. I plan on practicing with bottles most days with my mom or DH. At what age did everyone introduce a bottle?
  • Echoing @surlyjaneausten and @vetgirl2011 when should I start introducing a bottle? I have to go back full time when baby’s about 6 weeks, and I’m nervous about the bottles. I want her to get used to them as early as possible, as I won’t be close enough to nurse throughout the day. 
  • I am wondering the same re: when to introduce bottles. I am not sure how long of mat leave I will have yet, but my guess is it won't be more then 6 to 8 weeks.