December 2020 Moms

Meal Plan Monday 6/29

Hard to believe that the 4th of July is this weekend for the US ladies!  Any good recipes that don't require a lot of time in the kitchen?  Or grilling recipes? 

Re: Meal Plan Monday 6/29

• akorosakoros member
    My MIL asked for us to bring a casserole. I'm drawing a blank except for Mexican chicken quinoa casserole or baked ziti. 

Yesterday we smoked some baby back ribs on the grill, which came out amazing. I'm so proud of us, the last time I tried to make ribs on the grill I didn't get the heat right and wound up with a pan of charcoal. Threw some potatoes on there as well, which slow-baked with the ribs, so the only thing I did in the kitchen was saute up some sliced zucchini for a vegetable. 

Beyond that my grilling recipes are pretty basic: meat, seasoning or maybe a marinade, and while it cooks I grill some vegetables in the grill basket. 
  • My husband requested steaks on the grill for his bday, so we will have that in a couple weeks.  I will be having chicken if the baby cooperates.  Chicken and I haven't been friends, but I could eat a bunch of sides instead.  Hoping for yummy corn and brussel sprouts.  

Yesterday I made pasta with a mushroom cream sauce.  It was so good, but sadly the leftovers did not reheat well!  

Not really sure what the rest of the week will entail.  I am hoping for rain on the 4th, since I have to work.  Work will be less crowded if it rains; otherwise we will be slammed!  Also rain means less fireworks to scare my dog.  Total party poopers over here!  But we will celebrate on French Independence Day, since that is my husband's bday!  
  • Loading the player...
  • We just bbq’d a tri tip tonight, and I took out a chicken and pork to defrost. Will probably end up making carnitas with the pork and bbq the chicken. We had corn on the cob to bbq tonight but they had gone bad :( will have to pick some up on our next grocery run!
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• karmbakarmba member
    I made BLT dip this weekend and it was really good - easy too!  I'll post the recipe below, it was great for the picnic I took it to.  My family is visiting starting Wednesday night so I have a mix of takeout and recipes planned.  DH is smoking a brisket on Friday and we'll have potato salad, regular salad and a corn casserole with it.  On Sunday we're getting a crab feast (2 dozen crabs, 2 lbs steamed shrimp, 2 racks of ribs, 2 lbs smoked deli meat).  And I'm going to make a black forest trifle.

BLT Dip
    2 medium tomatoes seeded and diced
    1 lb of bacon crumbled
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup mayo
    1 tsp seasoned salt
    1 tsp onion powder

Mix it all together and voila!  We like to eat it with fritos.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• akorosakoros member
    We ordered out a couple of times last week, so aside from the ribs on Sunday it's an all-Home Chef week since we'll be away this weekend. Much less pressure on me, so I can think about what to make for the weekend. I kind of want to bake a pie, but only have enough ingredients for one, so debating making the pie when we come home so I don't have to share with my in-laws (it's my favorite, strawberry-blueberry). Or I can be nice, go to the store and make two pies...big decisions. Also found a meringue lemon bar recipe on Smitten Kitchen I want to try, which definitely requires a store trip for butter and graham crackers.

Non-dessert meals are:
    - Chicken jalapeno taquitos
    - Cuban black bean and avocado bowls
    - Salmon with brown butter tomato relish
    - Japanese steak tacos with sriracha slaw
    - Teryaki charred broccoli and shiitake mushrooms with noodles

• I just got myself an Instant pot. I’ve used twice. And it’s great.   My husband is gonna get tired of beans soon. 

I used it to make lentil curry. Red lentils, some veggies curry powder, coconut milk. A little spinach stirred in when it’s done and cilantro if you like it.   Super good, lentils are on the -eat while pregnant list- Put it together turned it on, and toon the dogs for a walk. It was done by the time I got back.

i also made some black eyed peas. A couple carrots, 2 bay leafs some water some veggie broth.    When it was done I put some Louisiana or crystal hot sauce, served it with rice and a vinaigrette salad.    Super tasty super East and reminded me of when I lived in Louisiana. 
  • @akoros
    hows the salmon with brown butter tomato relish? It sounds pretty awesome!  I usually just broil salmon with some dill and serve with rice.