November 2020 Moms

STM+ Birth Stories

By request of @crizz13

we all crave the birth stories. So if you have them, and you want to share them, post them here! 

And let’s be honest we already know they won’t all be pretty so keep it real!
ECat504
SO
SD (11/2010)
DD1 (09/2014)
DD2 (10/2015)
Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)

Re: STM+ Birth Stories

• Loading the player...
  • This thread is awesome! My the bump isn't working on my stupid work desktop so I'll have to come back later to post both of mine.
  • I feel like I’m seeing a trend of earlier births for the 2nd baby. All these birth stories are getting me excited!
  • @krystrist2014 OMG I am so sorry you experienced that, but seeing the pics you post of your daughter she looks happy and healthy and none of those things makes you any less of a mother *hugs*
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @wychets thanks girl! She is definitely happy and healthy and we were so blessed that umbilical cord didn’t cause any real harm. ❤️ That birth was definitely a lesson for me. 
  • How horrifying @krystrist2014  I know I need to prepare myself for possibly having to be induced and C-Section just in case. 

I’m just so anti induction and anti trust for the doctors wanting to do it. I’ve heard so many stories about c-sections because the doctor was going off shift. My doctor was on vacation, so I didn’t meet the delivery doctor until  I was pushing baby out... so I guess you could say I’m not attached to the delivery doctor. 
  • @potofgolden I am right there with you, girl. I still have the underlying mistrust for inductions. I brought up that fear right away with my OB this time. It certainly didn’t help last time that I had moved to a different state in the 8th month of pregnancy!! So I really didn’t trust my doctors. This time I went with a practice that has an incredibly successful VBAC rate and very low csection rate and I genuinely trust them so much more. Despite how things went sideways last time, I feel like it gave me greater faith in God because I truly think that if we hadn’t been made to go in for that induction then Babygirl probably would have died at 41 weeks. 
  • Honestly, reading these stories made me feel SO MUCH MORE comfortable about giving birth. As a FTM, I find it completely terrifying and reading about everybody's experiences has given me a lot of perspective that I can do this, too.
  • @laurenmicheley my biggest advice is talk it out with your ob/midwife and make a plan but be open to the idea that things can easily change. A lot of the moms in my j19 group had planned these natural births with a doula and ended up needing inductions or csections. It is always helpful to keep in the back of your mind a back up plan or things will change but the biggest outcome is always healthy mom and baby
  • @babywiik I think the name of the game is being as prepared and knowledgable as possible, so you can try as hard as you can for the birth you want, and if things go sideways you'll know you did your best and made the right decisions for yourself and your baby. So, no regrets! I am definitely excited for birth, although nervous about lots of aspects of it too. It can be such a magical and empowering experience!
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• @babywiik Yes, I've definitely been immersing myself as much as possible. I think there are different strokes for different folks - I am a Type-A personality and feel empowered by information. For me, learning what my options are and hearing about others' experiences has made a huge difference in making me feel comfortable about the whole thing.
  • @babywiik I’m a FTM and have been listening to The Birth Hour podcast recently. I agree that it seems less scary when you are more prepared for all possibilities. Do you have any specific podcast that you like best?
  • @vetgirl2011 I started out listening to "the positive birth story podcast" set up by a Swedish midwife (she speaks English 😉) and I've loved all of them! I'm almost done and then I'll move on to The Birth Hour. I dont know if there's one that stands out more than the rest but so many of them mention coping strategies and how to stay positive so I've been writing down some of their advice so I can remember later/give my list to MH for him to remind me if I want/need when I'm in labor. I like having a list of ideas of coping strategies which will also give me something else to focus on because I know I won't be able to think about it when the time comes.
  • Thank you @babywiik. I will definitely have to listen to the positive birth story podcast next! It’s also a great idea to write down some coping methods. I need to do that!
  • I have 2 boys and one more boy on the way. The differences between my two boys births were very different.
    My first was a hospital birth. I was induced with Pitocin and it wasn't doing much so they broke my water and it got super painful. I got an epidural soon after and it only worked on the right side of my body my left side felt everything. When I tried talking to the anesthesiologist he straight up told me I was lying and refused to try re putting it in. I pushed for 20 minutes which is interesting when you can feel half and not the other half.

For my second I decided to have a home birth based on my previous hospital experience and research I had done. This was amazing and wonderful and what I would recommend to low risk mommas. I had done hypnobirthing classes and was able to use what I learned to have a painless birth. I woke up that morning and when I went poddy I saw I had the "bloody show" I was so excited and texted my midwife she told me I'd probably give birth sometime in the next 10 days. The whole day I felt off... not really sure how to explain it but my body just felt off/different than usual. I wasn't having contractions but I just felt off so I had my friend drive me to my previously scheduled appointment that afternoon just in case, I was 4.5 cm dilated. On the drive home I started having contractions every 5 minutes but they weren't very big. I got home and my friend helped me clean up my living room and inflate the birth tub. Later I made dinner, and during dinner I had to eat on my hands and knees with my plate on my chair lol. We put my oldest to bed a little early that night and soon after my midwife came to our house to check on me and found my cervix to be at 5 cm out my water had broken, a high tear so I was dribbling only a little and hadn't noticed. So she called her midwifery student to come over and assist. Soon after the student got their I went into active labor and got into the birthing tub. I was in what is referred to laborland, basically letting my instincts take over and being in a active but relaxed hypnotic state. I started pushing just doing what my body wanted (I didn't realize I was pushing until I heard my midwife whisper to her student and my husband that I was pushing lol). I pushed him out and then had to get out of the tub because he had a short cord and otherwise his head would've stayed underwater. I was in active labor for 1 hour 8 minutes according to my midwife and pushed for 3 minutes. My older son slept through the whole thing even though he shared a wall with the living room. It was beautiful and peaceful and I got to sleep in my own bed that night which is waaaaay more comfortable than a hospital bed.