November 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing [ITEM]! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite diaper bag:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a diaper bag you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a diaper bag you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on diaper bags?:

For FTMs:

• Diaper bag you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see

here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aqb8MGEYn0PQtTuPg16w7-ypItLmVIMNyU5AteGqodM/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight: Diaper Bags

• My main question is the type of diaper bag you guys think is best? I keep hearing backpack style is better then satchel style... opinions from STMs? 
  • @bserena We have the backpack below and I really like it because it is easy just to wear and have your arms and hands free. It fits a ton of stuff too. Also my husband wears it and likes it. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCWVQN1? colid=1UVXGOMZSVBJ7&coliid=I30HK4MA7U7C8A&ref=br_ADD_TO_CART_title_link

This might be a stupid question but, moms with more than one....How do you handle having two that need diapers etc.? Just shove it all in one? 
  • Loading the player...
  • @windywoman when my babes were in diapers we totally just shoved everything in one bag, I'd put bigger diapers and clothes on one side of the bag, separate them with the wipes / empty bottles / formula / etc, and the smaller diapers and clothes on the other side. I'm sure there's a much better solution though.

I think I'd prefer a back pack type this time, but I have some reservations - so any input is gladly welcome:
    • How does this effect baby wearing, I know at newborn and baby stage it shouldn't be a problem - but once you're back wearing babe I see some problems.
    • I like the hands free-ness of the back pack bag, but having a shoulder satchel made it easy to quickly(ish) grab wipes or an extra pacifier, etc. that I don't see the convenience of with a back pack.
    https://www.target.com/p/jujube-midi-backpack-blush/-/A-79693024?lnk=reg_items_view&regMode=REGST&registryId=44d895a06e804f3ea7350a65e1465e48&registryType=baby&itemLineNum=50&backLinkName=my%20registry&backLinkUrl=%2Fgift-registry%2Fmyitems%3FregistryId%3D44d895a06e804f3ea7350a65e1465e48%26type%3DBABY%26lnk%3Dreg_home_alert_item_note%26lnk%3Dreg_mode_pdp&pageFrom=myitems

This is the JuJuBee bag that I'm eye balling right now, but I'm just not 100% sold. It doesn't look like it has much storage and I'd like more. It's also more money than I'd like to spend on a diaper bag, but I think for the *right* one I'd spend up to $80 I suppose....
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • @Ecat504 DS will need way less so your idea of separating with stuff will definitely work! 

I haven't back carried with the backpack yet so I can't help with that. 
    I can totally see how a back pack is in convenient if you need to quickly grab something. You do need to basically take it off to get anything. 
  • Team minimalist here - I didn't buy an 'official' diaper bag, just used a big satchel that I had made a few years back. I never minded not having extra features. This is one area that I think you could do OK with just starting with whatever you have around the house and then upgrading after baby arrives and you have better sense if what you need/want. (For instance: your needs will be different depending on if you're BFing or pumping or FFing). Also your needs change over time - going out for just a quick shopping trip vs needing a full bag for daycare.
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• edited June 2020
    The diaper bag I have from DD is falling apart (seam holding the zipper to the main large pocket is coming undone).  I could easily fix it, but it won't be large enough for DD + the twins.  Maybe for a quick on the go, but not for large excursions out.  This is the diaper bag I'm looking into.  Plus side, it's pretty darn cute and reasonably priced.  I imagine I'd likely have to switch the magnetic closure on the front pocket to velcro (sounds like it doesn't hold too well), but aside from that it seems to have great reviews <3 
    <a rel="nofollow" href="https://www.amazon.com/Kaome-Multifunction-Waterproof-Insulated-Maternity/dp/B07WSD1NC3/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8">https://www.amazon.com/Kaome-Multifunction-Waterproof-Insulated-Maternity/dp/B07WSD1NC3/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8</a>

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• @Ecat504 while hiking I've been known to backcarry DD & carry our backpack diaper bag on my front :D   My carrier has purse straps on each shoulder so it keeps the shoulder straps of the backpack from slipping.  Not something I do often, but it's doable.  Otherwise I'll backcarry DD and carry the diaper bag by the top handle for short distances.  Bigger kids are great for being in charge of the diaper bag too ;) 
    I've heard great things about jujube diaper bags, although this particular one looks pretty small.  I would be very hesitant to get that particular style as a diaper bag.  As for grabbing things quick out of a back pack, it's not too difficult to just pop one shoulder strap off, swing the bag to the side and pull out whatever you need, otherwise you get pretty adept at reaching back and pulling out a wipe from a side wipe pouch (again, def not with the particular style of backpack you posted).

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• @bserena backpack vs satchel is 100% personal preference.  I hands down prefer backpack style bags, it's easier for me, but I also hate carrying a purse.  The off kilter weight on one shoulder thing bugs me.  I find it annoying that if you carry a satchel type bag across your body you get a strap in between your boobs, but if you carry it on one shoulder it slips down.  For short distances it's not terrible, but if I'm out shopping or wearing it for a while satchels drive me bonkers.

STM things I'm looking for in a diaper bag: I definitely like diaper bags that have stroller straps, a side wipes pouch, and an insulated pocket for bottles.  My previous bag didn't have a spot for mom's waterbottle (aside from zipped up inside the main pocket), so that would be a nice perk.  It definitely has to be durable and multifunctional.  @hedgepig it 100% correct that your needs will change as baby grows and until baby is here it can be hard to predict.   

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Ecat504Ecat504 member
    edited June 2020
    @lurvleybunchococonuts Thanks so much for the thoughts! I'll keep looking :) 
    ETA: As a third time mom, you'd think buying the diaper bag would be the easy part LOL
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • I surveyed the Moms in my area and the consensus was getting a backpack style bag (since I live in the city and walk or take mass transit, often). Moms have told me they really love the Dange Dover Indi Backpack. My best friend got the Storq Backpack and said it's pretty much falling apart and wishes she would have sprung for the Dange Dover. MH and I are planning on sharing the bag, so we wanted to make sure we are getting something functional, well made, and stylish. It's at little expensive ($195), but I'm able to justify the cost. 

https://www.dagnedover.com/collections/indi-diaper-backpack#HeatherGrey 
  • I've become a fan of Nena & Co so I am going to use one of their Convertible Day Bags as a diaper bag this time around. It comes with a shoulder strap and backpack straps. I'm not a purse/ bag person, so we'll see how it goes. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:  We go out A LOT and always made sure to have extras of EVERYTHING on hand aka probably an over packer, but I am okay with it.
    • Favorite diaper bag:  Freshly Picked Classic Diaper Bag
    • Link/picture: https://freshlypicked.com/collections/the-diaper-bag-super-collection/products/ebony-diaper-bag-1
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$$ (however when you join The Fringe it is 20% off, free shipping for $10 a month that is used as credit on purchases)
    • What you like and don't like about it:  There is nothing that I do not like...I have (6) bags by the company all considered diaper bags, and all fitting very different needs.  The Classic is roomy with tons of pockets to stay organized and literally fits everything but the kitchen sink in it.  I also like that it is a backpack style, but I will say if you pack as insanely as I do, the non-padded straps can get a BIT uncomfortable.  
    • Is there a diaper bag you don't have but are considering? Why?:  Nope
    • Is there a diaper bag you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: I had the SkipHop backpack to start and it only had one zipper, like whatttt!? It was awkward and I hated it and used it for less than 6 months.
    • Additional thoughts on diaper bags?:  For me it is my purse, so I would just encourage you to get what you like and maybe not something that screams diaper bag.  I will admit I like being stylish so I wanted a diaper bag that fit me to you know? My FP Classic is Leopard, flame away hahaha!
  • @jaclyn0405 I was considering the FP classic, but since I'm going to share it with DH I went for something more neutral. I may end up getting it just for myself if I decide I don't want to share.
  • @laurenmicheley yes! They do have black too for you guys to share, but I am always team spoil yourself lol. Their other bags are awesome too...I have the City Pack, Park Pack, Zip Pouch, Crossbody, Everyday Tote, and Clutch.  And now typing that all out I also realize I have a problem HAHA!
  • @hedgepig you brought up that bag size/type could vary based on your needs if you BFing, FFing, or pumping. Could you say more about that? I would like to breastfeed and would likely pump as well... would just a larger bag work or would it help to consider certain features? 
  • @warmwinter I am sure other ladies will have more input here, but I only ever BF, so I didn't need mine to have space for bottles, or an insulated pocket for milk. I used a pretty small bag for the most part, just enough room for a few diapers and change of clothes.
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: DH picked out the bag for himself, but I didn’t see any point in having two diaper bags. 
    • Favorite diaper bag: Columbia’s diaper bag
    • Link/picture: Columbia Carson Pass Backpack Diaper Bag, Rust https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BR2VBJ7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_0Sf4EbKWD0VJT
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $ 42.64
    • What you like and don't like about it: I circled in the picture to point out the buckle straps, these are a must. You can strap the bag onto your stroller or onto your shopping cart, etc.  I love the this bag, I’m not sure what else I would need with it. I would have liked to get the black and turquoise one, but my niece already had that one and it would get too confusing.
  • @lurvleybunchococonuts thank you so much!! Very helpful.
  • mimsermimser member
    This thread is such an interesting read, thanks to you STMs! 

FTM here

I'm looking for something both SO and I will feel comfortable carrying. I  came across this Stokke bag and it really caught my eye. I also really like that it's convertible. It's about $115 USD. I initially found a cheaper option that would probably do the job too...

• hedgepighedgepig member
    edited June 2020
    @potofgolden That Colombia bag looks great. I'm totally tempted, even though I don't need one!
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• @Jaclyn278 Knowing me, I will probably end up getting one. I am definitely team Treat Yo'self in a big way and $200 is much less than I usually spend on purses and yes, I know I have a problem!
  • @Jaclyn278 I have my eyes on that same one!! 😍
  • jaclyn0405jaclyn0405 member
    edited June 2020
    @laurenmicheley yasss girl I love it lol! And @lalarose22 I really love it!

ALSO something to think about.  You don't actually NEED a diaper bag with stroller straps.  You can purchase them yourself! I have these from Think King and they are awesome! https://www.amazon.com/Think-King-Stroller-Wheelchair-Rollator/dp/B002MXP3SM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=133KSIVSXFWRJ&dchild=1&keywords=think+king+hooks&qid=1591884337&sprefix=think+king%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-1

I went with black and they are just strapped to her stroller at all times.  They hold A LOT and for the price it can't be beat.  Just a thought so you don't lock yourself into a diaper bag that you like, but don't love just because it has stroller straps.
  • @laurenmicheley even with a diaper bag, the purse always ends up with kid items in it anyway. I probably have about 5 pairs of socks in my purse now, hair bands, bows, and yesterday I pulled out some apple sauce. Maybe go cheap on a diaper bag and get you a new purse for your push gift 😆. 
    • Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: i baby wore a lot with DS and found having a backpack diaper bag kinda annoying and often put it in the shopping cart or left it in the car. 
    • Favorite diaper bag:
    • Link/picture: https://www.amazon.com/Hap-Tim-Generation-Resistant-5284H3-Grey/dp/B07PGN9PGD/
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $
    • What you like and don't like about it:
    • Is there a diaper bag you don't have but are considering? Why?: I'm considering getting a satchel type bag. Maybe. 
    • Is there a diaper bag you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
    • Additional thoughts on diaper bags? I breastfed but also had to pump to supplement for several months so used the insulated pockets for a bottle on the go. I also have a few lunch box/grocery type bags with the built in ice pack that you store in the freezer that I would use for longer outings or car rides to keep bottles or pump parts in a zip lock bag cold. We also use cloth diapers so I'd often pack the diaper bag with 2 or 3 diapers and then have a bag of extra everything in the car to switch out if needed 
  • @laurenmicheley I like that bag. Is it heavy? I used a white leather backpack with #2. Loved it but ended up having back problems (strained myself carrying the car seat). I’ve done the minimalist option that @hedgepig mentioned (kept a diaper, change of clothes and some wipes in my purse). I’ve also done a Kate Spade diaper bag purse. 

@jaclyn0405 My sister has the Freshly Picked backpack and loves it. Having things that help me feel put together and stylish help me post baby.  
  • @name1109 It's listed at weighing 3.5lbs. I can't do a shoulder type bag because I have a bad back and pinched nerve in my shoulder, so I try not to carry anything too heavy on one side. When I was going to an office, I switched from a huge shopper tote to a backpack to haul my laptop, gym shoes and the rest of my things and I haven't looked back. Also, gave me an excuse to buy a ton of cute cross body bags that are small and make more or a statement!
  • krystrist2014krystrist2014 member
    edited June 2020

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: I hate carrying more than one thing so when I had DD, I used the diaper bag as my purse as well. 
    • Favorite diaper bag: Jujube 

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $195.00 ish? Definitely on the pricier end of diaper bags. 
    • What you like and don't like about it: Okay, so I never thought I would be a designer diaper bag kind of person. Before I had DD, I bought a cheap backpack style diaper bag from Walmart and was content with the purchase until I actually had her and the damn thing started falling apart within a month. I had seen someone on a flight when DD was about 2 months old with this beautiful jujube diaper bag and that was how I found the brand. When I looked them up, I was pretty shocked by the price but I bit the bullet and decided to purchase with money gifted to me from extended family members after DD was born. I am so glad I did because that bag lasted me 2 years and was super durable and super cute. I’m considering getting a new one for this LO but haven’t seen a pattern I like so I may just reuse the one I already have since it is still in decent condition. 
    • Is there a diaper bag you don't have but are considering? Why?: Nope.
    • Is there a diaper bag you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: Cheap ones. Lol. 
    • Additional thoughts on diaper bags?: Something you will carry for 2-3 years (until you no longer have to worry about carrying spare clothes for potty training toddler) is worth investing a little extra money in. 
  • mimsermimser member
    Ladies, should I get my fiancé his own more masculine bag or should we share a more unisex one?
  • @mimser I'd say just get the one you want and he can use it too! I've rarely seen any that seemed so over the top girly that a guy should have a problem wearing. Not to mention my general opinion that men shouldn't even worry about that with baby stuff!! It's pretty obvious it's a diaper bag for your, you know, baby and not some type of man purse! No reason anyone's masculinity should be challenged by caring for their child! ;)
  • @mimser I think it’s probably your (and his) preferences? My SO asked for more neutral baby bags. However, he has baby worn a bright pink Tula with Navy anchor accents on many occasions. Personally, I’d prefer to have one bag because for me...the likelihood would be some key element would be in the other bag and I’d be missing wipes or something crucial but that’s me. 
  • magdaaaamagdaaaa member
    edited June 2020
    @mimser I opted for a gender neutral diaper backpack for DS, and he will probably take that with him to preschool this year as his little backpack (it’s the fjallraven kanken). DH preferred that for sure.

For this LO I just bought a HUGE jujube used for $25 that’s basically brand new. I plan to leave it fully stocked in my car as the bag I operate out of, but will only grab a diaper, wipes, and clothes to shove in my crossbody purse whenever we go anywhere. I found with breastfeeding I never needed more than a diaper and change of clothes. it will be every parent for himself 😂
    me 32 | dh 45
    married <3 11.11.17
     mama. epicurean. plant lover. wine enthusiast.
  • mia80mia80 member
    @mimser A diaper bag is one of the only things we've bought so far... And DH picked it out! When I was pregnant last year we were looking at baby stuff and he saw one he said he'd be happy to carry, so we bought it!  I think it's probably pretty basic (from Babies are Us), but it should suit everything we need it for.