November 2020 Moms
Options

Couldn’t get NT measurements - what would you do?

So to preface this, I’m 34, will be 35 by the time baby is here. I’m 14 + 1, had my nuchal translucency ultrasound the other day and baby would not cooperate. It did change positions when I walked around a bit, but for some reason she still couldn’t get the measurement. 

She told me it’s nuchal fold looks very thin (normal) and baby has a prominent nasal bone, so no obvious T21 concerns. However since they couldn’t get the measurements, they didn’t do the finger prick. And she said that was the last day they could really do NT at (13+6) so I can’t go in again.

But I’m not sure how comfortable I am having no bloodwork to test for abnormalities... what would you do? Does anyone see any other options here? I should call the doctor I guess, but wondering what you think. 

Re: Couldn’t get NT measurements - what would you do?

• Options
    Hi! If it were me I'd call the doctor to ask for their guidance as a first step. It really depends on you and what you would do if the test came up positive for something. 

For me, I'm an extremely wary FTM so I wanted to know for sure that my baby is developing appropriately and what if any developmental issues we may be facing. I am 34 and elected to do the NT plus the NIPT. When both tests are done in conjunction it is 99% accurate (which is as good as a more invasive test) and I wanted to avoid an amnio or CVS at all costs, if possible. The NIPT was NOT covered by my insurance since I will not be 35 until after baby arrives. All insurances are different, though, so I'd advise you to call them. I did my NIPT through Myriad and they covered the entire ($2,000) cost of it since my insurance rejected the claim. If you do decide to do an NIPT, I'd recommend them since they are willing to work with patients in order to make it affordable. 

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Hi! If it were me I'd call the doctor to ask for their guidance as a first step. It really depends on you and what you would do if the test came up positive for something. 

For me, I'm an extremely wary FTM so I wanted to know for sure that my baby is developing appropriately and what if any developmental issues we may be facing. I am 34 and elected to do the NT plus the NIPT. When both tests are done in conjunction it is 99% accurate (which is as good as a more invasive test) and I wanted to avoid an amnio or CVS at all costs, if possible. The NIPT was NOT covered by my insurance since I will not be 35 until after baby arrives. All insurances are different, though, so I'd advise you to call them. I did my NIPT through Myriad and they covered the entire ($2,000) cost of it since my insurance rejected the claim. If you do decide to do an NIPT, I'd recommend them since they are willing to work with patients in order to make it affordable. 

Hope this helps!
    Thank you, that’s very helpful! The tech said they’d do the NIPT if anything about the NT US/bloodwork came back suspicious but no one has presented it to me as an option either way - which I’m a little annoyed about. Maybe it does have something to do with the cost? But I also really would like to have all the information I can about how baby is developing. Since I’ll have just turned 35 by the time baby is born, maybe it will be covered or partially covered by my insurance. I will call my doctor. Thanks again! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm still on the fence on doing an NIPT, but my OB said I can do it at any time. 
    If you're having any questions or doubts, definitely call. That's what they are there for. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker