December 2020 Moms

Weight lifting and workouts while pregnant

Hey! I'll be having my first baby I'm December!! Before getting pregnant I was very physically active. I do weight lifting, cardio, yoga, HIIT. being active is a huge part of my life and I know I'll need to reduce some of the workouts I do. I want to stay as active as possible as long as I'm safe and the baby is safe. I have my first doctors appointment tomorrow and I'm hopeful I'll get the go ahead to continue being active.

Anyone else working out during pregnancy?

Re: Weight lifting and workouts while pregnant

• edited April 2020
    Hi @knottie14554a95574a4e91 there was already a weekly workout thread started you are more than welcome to participate in! Please read the “Read here first and welcome” thread at the top of this group to understand how the bump operates!
  • Congrats!

I’m also used to being super active - I usually work out every day between running, lifting, climbing, and yoga. Unfortunately, I’ve had some bleeding during my pregnancy so far and while everything seems to be normal and progressing fine, my doctor said no lifting or running for the time being.

I’m having a bit of a hard time now that I’ve had to give those things up, especially because I feel it’s more important than ever to be fit! I’m really making sure I take my daily brisk walks!

If all goes well at the next appt, I’m hoping I’ll at least be cleared for band and body weight work. While it’s not lifting, it could be a good way to maintain some strength and muscle mass while also staying safe.

It seems like for most pregnancies without complications you can continue being quite active as long as you feel up for it, though you may need to reduce your weights for lifting. Obviously your doctor is the best person to ask, though :)

Stay well and best of luck with your new fitness routine!