August 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Health and Safety

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we are discussing health and safety! 

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DzmfbSu7toufv3p1VWNu1XOXDaU-tbI5FEfV8av46pc/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight: Health and Safety

• So! I'm curious what STM+ mom's recommend for nails? I'm registered for the baby martin's drawer electric nail file and was SO close to buying it myself bc it comes with an adult kit, but now it's sold out, probably bc no one can go to the nail salon 😂 Can you just file them down or do you need clippers?

The thermometer that I'm registered for (the Kinsa) is also out of stock everywhere 🤦🏼‍♀️ it looks like there are lots of other types of thermometers available so I'll probably just need to find a different one.

I've also been trying to decide if I should proactively get colic/probiotic drops to have on hand (like Ferber's soothe or Mommy's Bliss), but wasn't sure if I should just wait to see if it's something my baby needs/pediatrician is okay with.
  • Loading the player...
  • DEFINITELY THE NOSE FRIDA! I could not figure out the bulb at all. 
    For nails I just used a small pair of nail scissors. I couldn’t stand any of the clippers I got. I felt like I didn’t have as much control nor were they sharp. 

I’m interested in what everyone says about thermometers. We used rectal till my daughter was about 2 1/2 and never questioned the readings. We’ve owned 2 ear/forehead ones since then (about 6 months) and I hate them both. I don’t find either accurate or anywhere near consistent. 
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • for nails we like the baby Frida kit, but we only really use the clippers and not the file. 

You’ll want a fast rectal thermometer, but it doesn’t hurt to also have a forehead or ear one if you can find one in stock. 

This gripe water is like magic for hiccups, but don’t buy it too soon because I think the exp date is only 6 mo or so https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GCHOEW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_g57OEb2E3NE9P

saline drops will help with the nose frida. And have some infants Tylenol on hand but you can’t use it until they are at least 6 mo.

Do not buy any teething gels. They aren’t safe. 

For sunscreen, cream or stick only no sprays. sprays can cause skin irritation in babies and toddlers even if you put it on your hands first. 
  • I have always used our regular nail clippers. I know some women who just bite them off because they're so thin, which grosses me out! 

We have two forehead/ear thermometers, and I really don't like them. I just feel they're inaccurate. We have two basic thermometers that can be used under the arm, in the mouth or rectally. Our birth center gave them to us with each baby. They give them out because we go home so much sooner with an OOH birth (three hours minimum. I've never stayed more than four) so they tell us to temp the baby regularly during those first 24 hours, so I assume they're decent quality! We've never used them rectally. I just do under the arm. They fuss a little with their arm held down, but not bad. For me, I usually temp because they're acting odd, lethargic and quiet, so they're not feeling like making a huge fuss. 
  • I have the pigeon ones @rivercitynik and loved them!  I only ever cut too close once on a toe with the infant scissors (sometimes it's tricky if they are fighting you on it/ can't see what you're doing), and the clippers I still use on her now at almost 2y. They are great!  I just feel so much more confident even when she is squirming.

<div class="Spoiler">https://www.amazon.com/Pigeon-Nail-Scissor-Born-Japan/dp/B000FHS97Y/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-p13n1_0?cv_ct_cx=pigeon+baby+nail+scissors&dchild=1&hasWorkingJavascript=1&keywords=pigeon+baby+nail+scissors&pd_rd_i=B000FHS97Y&pd_rd_r=84fadaae-3ee6-46f0-a5f9-750d05cbe673&pd_rd_w=NHmDM&pd_rd_wg=m2RKT&pf_rd_p=4b7c569d-35c5-47f6-9441-0ee0b99371a6&pf_rd_r=78AFWQ1P0RV4E6VQ1X17&psc=1&qid=1587820910&sprefix=pigeon+bab&sr=1-1-191b1ae3-0539-4250-ad39-b698e0b800f6 </div><div class="Spoiler">https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pigeon+nail+clipper&sprefix=pigeon+nail&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_11
    </div>
  • I filed his nails for a long time and just started using the clippers around 12 months. I found it easiest to do while he was nursing because he was happy and distracted. The clippers we have are the Frida brand ones. The nailfrida. 

Nose Frida is wonderful! Saline helps with Cogestion too. Boogie wipes are like wet wipes with saline in them to wipe your little one's nose. They are not a must have, but handy if you want to put them on the registry and someone may gift them to you. 

We didn't use any of the gas drops, but our pediatrician recommended probiotics so once our sample was up, we got a small bottle. 

The thermometer we have is pretty basic. It can be used orally, under arm or rectal. I usually use under the arm. Rectal is most accurate, but I try not to resort to that unless it's really necessary. We haven't had to do it yet. 
  • cornichonmamcornichonmam member
    edited April 2020

Yes, nose Frida or similar, we had a bulb syringe and it got mouldy inside :s . Also get the saline nasal spray, that is a must! You can get adult ones too that are pregnancy safe, for anyone that is suffering with hay fever at the moment. 

I'm yet to find a good thermometer, I usually take my temp first then theirs and compare because mine typically measures about 2-3 degrees lower than it should. I just use nail scissors for cutting nails, but I have very steady hands.

• Thermometers: Similar to everyone else, we have a forehead thermometer and never use it because it seems so inaccurate. We have a really basic thermometer (Vicks rapid digital) that we used rectally and now under the arm. No complaints, and found the backlighting really nice to have. Reminder to have K-Y or some other water-based lubricant on hand for rectal temps; I found the little cover things unnecessary and fiddly.

Clippers: We used a small glass nail file in the beginning, and clippers when I was less patient. I don't know the brand of our clippers (and can't find them now!) but they have the offset top and bottom that makes it almost impossible to cut a little finger.

Vitamin D Drops: If you're planning to breastfeed, your pediatrician will tell you at baby's first appointment to get Vitamin D drops for supplementing. It's not something you need to have already started in those first few days, but I'm going to try to remember to have on hand to avoid the extra post-appointment CVS run.

Nose/gunk: Another nosefrida fan, here.

Along with infant Tylenol, I think that's all we really used! 
  • I almost forgot about the vitamin D drops! Our pediatrician prescribed some (like Enfamil D-Vi-Sol but generic I think) and they had some weird ingredients (caramel color, artificial flavor, etc) that seemed to upset DD’s tummy. We ended up getting Baby D Drops https://www.amazon.com/Ddrops-Vitamin-drops-2-5mL-fl-oz/dp/B003CT36NE Those are just Vitamin D and coconut oil; they were much easier to get her to take and didn’t seem to have any side effects.
  • @hypermusic I used the Baby D Drops too. They are great, super easy and very few ingredients.
  • I liked the nose freida but I liked this one better, I felt like I got better suction and was able to get thing out more plus it's super easy to clean!

To go with either of them we also liked the oogiebear which helped get dry boogers that were right at the end of the nose (my first was a preemie and had a tiny nose and it was always hard to get the crusty boogers out)!
    Infertility Journey (in spoiler because it's way too long and child/loss mentioned)
    Married: 08/09/2013; TTC #2
    Me: 31, possible PCOS and Septate Uterus (Septum removed in November 2017)
    DH: 31, MFI (Low Count and Low Motility)
    July 2017 - IUI #1 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    August 2017 - IUI #2 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    September 2017 - IUI #3 - Letrozole 2.5 mg, no trigger, Prometrium 100 mg 2x a day - BFN
    November 2017 - Uterine Septum removed
    December 2017 - IVF Consultation
    January 2018 - IVF #1 - Retrieval 1/24 - 2 Day 3 embryos (1 transferred fresh, 1 frozen) and 2 Day 5 embryos frozen
    February 2018 - Fresh Transfer - Transfer 1/27 (1 day 3 embryo) - BFN
    March 2018 - FET #1 - Transfer 3/2 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFP!  1st beta (10dp5dt) - 101; 2nd beta (17dp5dt) - 3061! Due 11/18/2018
    March 2018 - Remaining embryos lost in malfunction.

October 8, 2018 - Son born at 34 weeks and a day due to preeclampsia and HELLP syndrome.  Spent 13 days in the NICU.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

June 2019 - IVF #2 - Cancelled - Cyst on Ovary
    July 2019 - IVF #2 Take 2 - Retrieval 8/1 - 5 Day 5 embryos frozen
    August 2019 - FET #1 - Cancelled - No Trilaminar Lining
    September 2019 - FET #1 - Transfer 9/25 (1 day 5 embryo) - Chemical Pregnancy - 1st beta (9dp5dt): 110; 2nd beta (14dp5dt): 357; 3rd beta (16dp5dt): 188; 4th beta (23dp5dt): 7
    November 2019 - FET #2 - Transfer 11/6 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFN
    December 2019 - FET #3 - Transfer 12/11 (1 day 5 embryo) - BFP! - 1st beta (8dp5dt): 102; 2nd beta (15dp5dt): 2636! Due 08/28/2020

August 13, 2020 - Son born at 37 weeks an 6 days due to failed BPP (Gestational Diabetes).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers