December 2020 Moms

Confirmation appointment via phone

I am equal parts amused and flabbergasted: I just called my OBGYN (the same one I used for my 1st pregnancy) and requested an initial appointment. The receptionist told me they're no longer doing confirmation appointments in the office, rather they're doing them on the phone. "That's ok then, I'll just skip the confirmation appointment and schedule the ultrasound when the office is open again," I said. But I was then told that I can't have an ultrasound without completing a confirmation appointment. 

This is how I envision the confirmation phone call going down:
Nurse: have you taken a pregnancy test?
Me: Yes
Nurse: what was the result?
Me: Positive
Nurse: Don't eat cold lunch meat, sushi, smoke, or drink alcohol. *bills my insurance $400*

Re: Confirmation appointment via phone

• @chapenroe This could be in the WTF thread. And seriously, wtf? :D I hope they don't bill your insurance for a phone call. When is your confirmation appointment scheduled for? and did they end up scheduling your ultrasound after?
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• My insurance will definitely be billed for the phone call. I have a number of friends in the healthcare field and they've told me tele-health appointments are billed at the same rate as in-office visits. I could see how some first-time moms would be ok with the phone call version of the confirmation appointment because they probably have a larger number of questions. But why can't it be optional instead of obligatory? The "appointment" is next Tuesday so I'll reply here with details.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Exactly, what a croc of insurance claiming BS. They totally will bill the insurance company. This is the nonsense I'm NOT looking forward to. I would happily skip all appointments with the exception of bloodwork/NECESSARY scans. 
  • That is seriously WTF - some things are not eligible for tele-appointments, such as this. I'm curious what they will do on the phone call, please update us! 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: May 2008
    DD Born: March 2018
    DS Born: April 2019
    Due with #3 December 2020!
  • Maybe it will be a Zoom meeting... let's hope your webcam doesn't fog up! :D
  • @dancingtreepose :D OMG could you imagine?
  • @chapenroe Wow! That’s crazy! I’m waiting for when my OBGYN will tell me to come in for the first ultrasound/first appointment based on my lab results tomorrow. Did they send you for labs at least?
    DS born 2016
  • This is bonkers and other OBs are NOT doing this... because it's medically unnecessary.

If I heard that news I would ask for the doctor comment on why the appointment was medically necessary for a multip mother who has had usual prenatal care previously at the same practice.

Bonkers.

• @chapenroe same. I was joking with my partner that I could text them a picture of the 4 PG tests I took :lol: