September 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight 3/30: Family Friendly Cars

This weeks product spotlight is all about family friendly automobiles!! Feel free to use the prompts or just type away! Links/photos welcome.
I snagged a schedule that's been used I think by a few BMBs now, but if you guys want to add/change anything let me know!!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to look back and reference!

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fCSvGqefiQ7m-cqNEBzPuaIqF7BL2ost0Ta2sMjC-8w/edit?usp=sharing

For S+TMs (or FTMs that already have said item): 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite family car:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Did you lease or buy? Reasons?
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Any special features? (comfort, size. storage, convenience, efficiency, etc)
  • Is there an automobile you don’t have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there an automobile you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • What were your favorite or must have accessories?
  • How well does it stand up to kid messes?
  • Do you also have a dog(s)? Can you bring them in the car with the kid(s)?
  • Additional thoughts on family friendly autos?:

For FTMs:

Family friendly auto(s) you’re currently interested in:

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

(template taken from August 2020)

Re: Product Spotlight 3/30: Family Friendly Cars

• Anyone have a minivan? We will be getting one (and I am so excited) but it is on hold until MI is no longer locked in their homes. I am leaning toward either a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna. I considered a Pacifica, but hear the headrests can have issues with ffing car seat installation. I would love to know peoples experiences! I never thought I would want a minivan so badly, but after renting them on vacations it is seriously a game changer. Sliding doors and a low enough entrance for kids to get in themselves is amazing. We are looking to buy used a couple of years old with under 35k miles because I am attempting to avoid some of the massive depreciation a car sees in the first 5 years. We shall see what we can find around here though. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We kind of wound up with a minivan. We kept buying used cars, which were okay, but we had the worst luck with them. Our last car lasted a month before it went and unfortunately it wasn't something anyone could have predicted.
    So we went to a used car dealership wanting an SUV, but with what the banks were willing to give us the only thing we could afford was a Kia Sedona.
    We've had it since November and it's been okay so far. It's nice having more room, but definitely weird being in such a large vehicle.
    We're still planning on trading it in for a Jeep in about 2 years when our credit is better.
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • Loading the player...
  • I will shout this from the rooftops. I HATE how much I love my minivan! I swore I’d NEVER drive one, I’m just not the minivan type. Well, when we got pregnant with number 3 it was inevitable. We got the Honda Osssey and I’m absolutely smitten. It’s perfect for us, and will easily fit babe number 4 come September. There is NOTHING I would change about it. It’s amazing. Seriously worth every penny. I can’t believe I love it so much. 
  • I have a Toyota Sienna is a low mileage 2013. All the car seats I have in are nice and secure (I haul around my two nieces a lot) 

if your looking to buy and can once things open up again now is the time. They are going to have a ton of deals! 
  • @starlynn91 You are making me so excited to get one!! What year is your Odyssey? @ktholysz That is my hope! I would like used, but if the new cars end up with amazing deals I will definitely be checking them out. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • When I can finally get a new car (in five years 😭) I definitely think we will go the van route. Crossovers and trucks are more my style but the minivans i’ve looked at are so roomy and great for kids and if you have pets. We almost got a bigger car for me a couple months ago but I would’ve had to put like $6k or more down and we didn’t have that available and now it’s too late. Definitely going to have to make sure we don’t have any more than two kids until we can upgrade. I have a mini cooper and H has a Honda Civic. So it’s a bummer we won’t be able to take the dogs and baby in the same car. H can get a new car in 2 years so maybe he will just have to get the big one! 
  • Since I'm a FTM I'm just sticking with my little 2014 Ford Focus for now. My dad said when I went to buy it that the trunk space was good enough to fit a stroller and groceries both, so I'm satisfied with that and the Bluetooth connected to my phone is a plus because I don't fancy getting ticketed for talking on the phone while driving lol.
    Depending on where the next five years takes me, I might eventually upgrade to a bigger vehicle but what I'm looking for most of all is mileage. My focus averages 33 miles a gallon between city and interstate driving right now and I want something that will give me bang for my buck. 
  • We have a Honda Odyssey and I absolutely love it. I swore I would never drive a mini van yet here we are. With three kids a small car was just not feasible anymore. I have two older kids who get in and out themselves. No worrying about a kid opening a car door into the parked car next to us. I roll up to school in the drop off line, hit that sliding door button and they jump out. It’s much easier for them especially with heavy backpacks than when we had our little four door sedan. It’s also much easier to lift an infant bucket seat into the van. We have room to bring along friends but unfortunately that won’t be happening once the twins arrive. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• I have a Ford Edge. Would like to upgrade to the explorer with captains chairs. Would Love a van, but my SO is NOT on board whatsoever with that. 
  • @robyn2201 YES to the doors opening sideways and not out! This was SO big on my pro list, surprisingly, but my toddler has to do everything himself and I cannot tell you how quick my reflexes have to be when he swings the door open. I cannot wait for the lower floor, too, much easier. SO many perks. I also thought I'd NEVER want a minivan, but these twins make it three, so, there we go.

@Louise_Belcher DH has test driven Odyssey and Pacifica twice. He likes the Odyssey much better, and most of our minivan friends have them and SWEAR by them. I think there are a couple key differences (aside from one being a Honda), like the ay the seats fold down in the Odyssey. Also there was something about things going wrong with Pacifica down the line (maybe not engine related, i honestly cannot remember, but my mental takeaway was that people had problems with things in their Pacificas but no one mentioned that for the Odyssey.) This is a big conversation in the FB twin mom groups and overwhelmingly I see people shouting about their amazing Odysseys. I'm leaning that way, but will give DH more call on this one.
  • @jayandaplus That is good to hear. I have exclusively heard good reports about Odyssey. I just wish it came in all wheel drive. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • We have a Honda Fit and I love this car it is way more spacious than it looks and has a ton of space in the boot but we’ll probably need to look into something bigger when this little one graduates from his bucket seat. 2 big seats will be a lot for it lol
  • I've been driving my three kids around in a stick shift sports car for years, but with four kids we're gonna need more room! We do have a minivan and we love it, so sadly, that might become my daily driver :(:(:( 
    DS1 2009
    DS2 2010
    DS3 2014
    DD born 8/24/2020!
  • We’re purchasing a Honda Pilot this summer.  Currently have a Grand Cherokee but want a third row vehicle and refuse to drive a minivan.