November 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight: Maternity Clothes

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing maternity clothes! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite maternity clothes/lines/stores:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a brand/type of maternity clothes you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a brand/type of maternity clothes you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on maternity clothes?:

For FTMs:

• Maternity clothes/lines/stores you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see

here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Aqb8MGEYn0PQtTuPg16w7-ypItLmVIMNyU5AteGqodM/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight: Maternity Clothes

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: I'm a teacher, but don't have to dress very formally. I'm generally not into dressy/fashionable clothes, prefer comfort and functionality over fashion, and don't like to spend a lot.
    • Favorite maternity clothes/lines/stores: I liked the Jessica Simpson jeans the best from Motherhood Maternity; I got a few things from Old Navy that I liked too, although their pants were hit and miss fit wise for me; I loved the Bella Band belly band; but my absolute favorite clothes are from Latched Mama (nursing/maternity wear). Specifically I love the Latched Mama Momper (great for maternity, post partum and nursing, great quality, but does run about $50)
    • Link/picture: 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Motherhood Maternity Jean's were $50ish, belly band maybe $20, Momper $50
    • Is there a brand/type of maternity clothes you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: Don't buy cheap stuff - the pants never fit and don't look good.
    • Additional thoughts on maternity clothes?: Honestly I just wore alot of my regular clothes, especially shirts and sweaters. I wore my regular pants with a hair tie through the button hole, and the belly band through the end of pregnancy, and was happier with that than lots of the actual maternity pants I bought. I also got some of my favorite clothes from thrift stores.
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• Not really maternity clothes but this is the most comfortable bra for me right now. 
    https://www.calvinklein.ca/en/womens-clothing/ck-womens-underwear/womens-bras/invisibles-lightly-lined-v-neck-bralette-52264708

I almost choked in one of my sports bra yesterday...😅
  • Loading the player...
  • bserenabserena member
    Now that I am starting to be uncomfortable in my work clothes, I am starting to pick up some maternity pieces. I have been using the app Mercari and just wanted to recommend it as I had never heard of it before and I have found some really good deals!
  • @bserena I have been thinking of getting an account, thanks to your rec I am going to do it!
  • bserenabserena member
    @jaclyn0405 I got three pairs of maternity slacks for $15 bucks (really great deal) and then some work dresses in the $10-15 range, which is way cheaper then buying them new. 
  • @bserena that is amazing!! I will definitely take a look.  Good to know their is resale value too!
  • I've been ordering a lot of stuff from ASOS (it was hot in NY last week and I realized that none of my shorts or summer clothing fit anymore!) and have been pretty happy with what I've received. It's cheap-ish quality, but inexpensive and stylish. Their leggings are super comfy for lounging around since they are not compression. Also, heads up - they have an enormous selection of clothing, by far the widest I've seen outside of maternity stores and also have a ton of swimsuits, for those of you who will get to go to the beach or a pool this summer. 

My BFF send me a bunch of her maternity favorites, which are actually not maternity, but a size up in American Eagle. The leggings are amazing because they are super high wait and do not roll down and the T-shirt she sent is huge and comfy and really good for days when you don't want to show it all off. 

I got some maternity leggings from Blanqi (they were running a huge sale) because I'm very susceptible to instagram ads. I find them to be a little hard to put on, very long (I'm 5'6 and there is soooooo much length left at the ankle), also they have a weird smell even after washing. I'm returning the other 2 pairs since I only wore one. They are expensive and not worth the splurge.

Have any of you tried any clothing from Storq? I've been seeing a lot of their ads and I like the look of some of their items, but don't want to buy if their product is meh.
  • Let’s revisit the maternity clothes... Has anyone found anything they are in love with?

Right now my favorites are my Jessica Simpson Jeans and Jeans from H&M. Both were around $30. I shopped via FaceTime with my little sister at Ross and she bought me a ton of T-Shirts for cheap. I also like to wear the $6 plain maternity tshirts from Walmart. I love wearing maternity clothes because they are flattering to the awkward body and so much more comfortable than normal clothes. Since we only get to spend a few months on them I try to buy on the cheap side. I just bought some shorts and sweatpants for $20 each on Amazon. 🤞🏼They are a good score.

We have a family vacation planned to go to the river at the end of the month and I need to buy a maternity swimsuit. Has anyone found any they love?
  • I got some stuff from Kindred Bravely recently - I splurged on maternity leggings (Martina style) and LOVE them! They are so comfy and supportive and have pockets! I also love their french terry nursing bra and panties.

I am pretty happy with the maternity shorts I got from Target, but they are full panel and I am considering trying a pair of side panel shorts from Motherhood - it's getting HOT here!

I am also looking for supportive, comfortable maternity legging shorts/girl shorts for wearing under dresses, but the places I've tried - Blanqi, Senita - are sold out. Any leads? Big pluses for pockets.
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• @hedgepig Don't get Blanqi! Their leggings have a horrible odor! I've washed them multiple times and anytime I put them on, I end up taking them right off because the smell is incredibly awful. I, too, have been pretty happy with the shorts from Target - especially since I can get a short inseam!

Honestly, I'm 100% obsessed with the 7/8 leggings from American Eagle. They aren't maternity, I sized up 1 size, and they are so comfy and supportive and wash and dry really well with no pilling.

I bought a pair of overalls from Motherhood Maternity. They are so cute and comfy, but I advise everybody to size TF down. So big!
  • I ordered some things from Seraphine and I *love* them! I’m pretty much living in this jumpsuit:
    https://www.seraphine.com/en-us/black-maternity-jumpsuit/
    And the jeans with the under the bump waistband are super comfy.
    It was pricey, but I regret nothing.
  • I bought this cheap Amazon (non-maternity) jumpsuit (that, no joke, DH discovered) and it's the best thing ever. HIGHLY encouraged! My friends who are not KU have even bought it, now!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BQZBL1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • @laurenmicheley that is adorable!! What have you been wearing underneath? And did you do normal size or one up??
  • @potofgolden I luckily have a maternity swim suit I got when I was pregnant with DS2 (October baby). It's a one piece from target and while I don't hate it, I also don't love it but that's only because I feel like my boobs are going to pop out anytime I wear it! I struggled to find one I liked that wasn't super low cut. I also bought it because my parents have a boat and we're on the lake a lot in the summertime so I needed something comfortable but functional! 
  • @hedgepig good to know about Kindred Bravely. I need some good maternity leggings. Have you tried any of their other bras?
    i got some beyond yoga maternity leggings and they are not cutting it. I’m constantly having to pull them up and a seam is already unraveling. I like that the Kindred Bravely ones are designed for postpartum too. 
  • @surlyjaneausten I have the Kindred Bravely sublime nursing bras from last baby and like them, and I did try the Luxe tshirt bra this time, and it had the most incredibly soft fabric I have ever felt, but fit weird on me, so I had to return it. I'm small chested, and wasn't sure I even ordered the right size, so I'm pretty sure it's me, not them.
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• @jaclyn0405 I got a large, and I'm usually a large. Definitely runs roomy; I prob could have gotten away with a medium, but wanted the extra space. I've been wearing little fitted T's under or cropped tank tops!
  • @laurenmicheley Thanks for the heads up about Blanqi - I wouldn't be able to hang with a weird smell. It's hard enough for me to get used to not wearing cotton/natural fibers...
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• @csardaszz does the romper fit true to size? 
  • Yes! I’m usually a medium so that’s what I ordered and it’s perfect! The length is just right, and it’s not tight but not too roomy either.
  • @csardaszz 😩 they only have size 2 left!
  • @potofgolden Booo! I hope they restock!
  • @laurenmicheley Haha, I was coming here to announce them too!  I just (pre)ordered a pair and couldn't be more excited! 
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• These just came in the mail. Preprego I’m probably a 12. I ordered XL. They fit, but I probably could have went with a L. They are only $22. I’ll probably order some more in the different colors. Super soft, light weight and comfortable.

Liu & Qu Maternity Women's Casual Pants Stretchy Comfortable Lounge Pants https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z77WCKC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yEaaFbJ5KWHC8
  • I just got my Kindred Bravely bike shorts in the mail today and they are wonderful (and have pockets!). I'll be living in them for the rest of the summer.
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• Romper and jumpsuits! I need more! Any recommendations that you're loving?
  • @laurenmicheley I just got one in the mail from motherhood maternity. It was on sale too!! it’s listed as $38 but I guess they had a super sale.. I got it for $9 😬. 
    I’m looking for some rompers now with sleeves and pockets.
  • @laurenmicheley @potofgolden It isn't as much of a romper as some, but I love the Latched Mama nursing romper. Super comfy and flattering at all stages of pregnancy and postpartum.
    https://latchedmama.com/products/latched-mama-nursing-romper
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016

• I wanted to put a vote in for Pink Blush. I just bought two dresses from them and am SUUUPER pumped!  

• @potofgolden that’s gorgeous!
  • I also was coming here to rave on Pink Blush! I ordered a bunch of dresses (a few final sale, 1 didn't work but I'll pass it on to a friend) for upcoming weddings and bridal showers
  • My bras aren't fitting... is it okay to get nursing bras now or should I wait in case I grow more? Is sizing the same as regular  bras? 
  • @warmwinter I was wondering the same thing! Like, I've definitely needed bigger bras but how many sizes up is it typical to grow. And with bras not being the cheapest, I don't want to buy any more that I'll only use for a short time.
  • @warmwinter I wore stretchy nursing bras through my last pregnancy. When my milk came in basically nothing fit and I had to get bigger ones. But once my supply was established they fit fine again. You just never know. 

I just got four things I ordered from Seraphine and I really like everything! They’re pricier than some brands but all but one item was on sale and the tops are nursing tops too. It’s really good quality!
  • edited July 2020
    I got a couple stretchy yoga nursing bras from bamboobies while pregnant with DD and just got two more from stretchy non-underwire cotton nursing bras from Walmart. They may not work once milk comes in PP but we'll cross that bridge at that time. They're a lot more comfy than underwire.
    Eta: The bamboobies ones come with removeable pads and a band extender

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• My bras haven’t fit for a few months now so I bought these off of amazon. Like the bamboobies ones they have removable pads and a band extender! Personally I’ve loved them for the price (3 for $30) and the comfort. They won’t fit me once my milk comes in but they’re perfect for this in between time. My only complaint is guessing my size was tricky, but for reference I was a 36DD before pregnancy, and the XL has been working for now. 

https://www.amazon.com/HOFISH-Seamless-Maternity-Bralette-Extenders/dp/B083FF9W19
  • @warmwinter Like @surlyjaneausten mentioned,  my boobs got way bigger during the early BFing days, then settled back down, so having bras that fit at the end of pregnancy also fit later. I'm small chested to begin with, so I just get soft, stretchy bras that I can use in a wide range of sizes. I love the Kindred Bravely French Terry nursing bra, and their Simply Sublime nursing bras for a little more support. Like @lurvleybunchococonuts I have Bamboobies nursing bras and nursing tanks that I also really like.
    TW
    Started TTC August 2016