August 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight Series 3/6: Bath Time

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing BATH TIME. 

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DzmfbSu7toufv3p1VWNu1XOXDaU-tbI5FEfV8av46pc/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight Series 3/6: Bath Time

• I’ll start with a question... we only have one full bathroom in our house and it has a shower! What do we do? We are moving eventually but likely won’t move until about a 1-1.5 years after baby is born... are there any baby tubs that can be used until like 1.5?
  • @fitandnerdy, I'm sure there are. Do you have any Rubbermaid-type totes? Something like that would work. Assuming your shower is the type with a lip and not a wraparound, I've heard of covering the drain with a piece of plastic and filling the shower stall. 

Minimalism over here, again. We've never had any special bath gear. We just fill the tub with just a few inches of water and put them in there. If you don't have a bath mat, you can lay them on a hand towel to help keep them from slipping around. 

We've used aveeno shampoo/wash combo and a storebrand organic shampoo/wash combo. Both have worked fine. The aveeno definitely smelled better. It doesn't have a strong scent, just a nice subtle clean smell. 
  • Loading the player...
  • edited March 2020
    We have something similar to the above, except it also has the mini infant seat for nested or sink use.  I liked that it didn't have a soft fabric sling to get mildewy, just keeps it simple.  My almost 18mo is wearing 24m and 2T and she still fits in the bigger part of the tub just fine. @fitandnerdy

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0796BLCXS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

ETA You can really go down a rabbithole with baby tubs but ultimately, I would try not to overthink it.  I think most of them will work up to two years, no problem.  I remember having decision paralysis with the tub and eventually I just had to go with something that looked good to me, and it did the job! :)
  • I don't have too many particulars either for bath time. I didn't register for a bathtime and just planned on using the bathmat but someone got us one anyways. I was happy to get rid of it when we didn't need it anymore because I'd the space that it took up. 
    We weren't picky about soaps or shampoos either! I like the suggestion for mustela for cradle cap. That is something that came in handy for us but we didn't get it until after he was born. 
    We did a bath maybe twice a week until he was 6 months and started eating with us. At that point he went right in the bathtub after dinner because he was usually a mess. We still dont really scrub him down with soap every night. It can be really drying for their skin. But it is a nice part if our nightly routine. 
  • We bathe DS roughly once a week, and that's probably rounding up so take all recos from me in this space with a grain of salt

For the early days, we did a sponge bath on the kitchen counter (just on top of a folded towel) and then baths in the kitchen sink. And when we first moved to the tub, we had the Angelcare seat you see everywhere and it worked just fine. DS really loved the water and having something supportive let us extend bath time longer, otherwise it gets pretty tiring to support them over the edge of the bath. Once he was solidly sitting up, though, the seat became useless.

https://www.amazon.com/Angelcare-Baby-Bath-Support-Aqua/dp/B008VWVS14

Similar to @roo_baby, we are on month 21 of our very first bottle of baby wash/shampoo (mustela), and still going strong. 

Someone bought us the munchkin "shampoo rinser" (glorified cup) and honestly, it's been kind of nice to have. A measuring cup would do the job just as well probably, but it's nice that it's soft and doesn't get appropriated for cooking and/or dog food scooping.

https://www.target.com/p/munchkin-shampoo-rinser/-/A-13296332

We have an older tub so couldn't get one of those faucet cover thingys to stay in place, but I do highly recommend if they work for you. Sooner or later, baby's going to bonk her head, hard.

• Oh!  One thing I wish someone had recommended sooner was this little scalp comb.  People kind of said, oh there's not much you can do about cradle cap, and she didn't have it bad, but man, once I added this comb to our routine, it was never a problem again.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B011EVXIIE?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I also very much liked the pigeon nail scissors when she was tiny, and mini clippers once she was a bit bigger.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FHS97Y/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FI3QSK/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think the price must be up a bit atm from what I remember paying for them, tho. :/
  • I liked the puj tub until 5-6 M. Easy to store and I like that it was easy to stand and use at the sink. The flower ones sort of grossed me out thinking about how long it would take to dry
    Puj Flyte - Compact Infant Bath (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PZ9VXY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6tczEbDV0M89G

I used this once she could sit
    Munchkin White Hot Inflatable Safety Tub and Bath Ducky Set (Discontinued by Manufacturer) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BNEBL6E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ozczEb9T7KTAK

I liked the Mustela for cradle cap
    Craft Blog
  • I actually wanted to get the puj tub too, but then the store where I found a crazy deal on it sold out!  :s @WishesSheCouldCook
  • @BusinessWife I just added that comb to my Amazon cart NOW! I never considered and item like this and I am so hyped for it. My husband is an adult who still gets "cradle cap" (it doesn't behave like normal dandruff, it acts just like cradle cap you see on infants) and my daughter is also very prone to it still at 5 years old if I don't stay on top of her. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @RedBaramid oh I'm so glad it could help someone!  I do her shampoo, and then I use a small amount of my own (sulfate free) conditioner, and comb the conditioner through, making sure to go all the way down to get scalp.  I think the conditioner too helps to moisturize any loose flakes so they all come off easily.  I love it!
  • Thanks girls for all these amazing recs, as usual!!!  Re:  the mustela... is the a shampoo/wash or the no-rinse cleanser?  Or something else?  It seems there are several products that they have and want to be sure I register for the best one!!   :D  
    Me: 33  DH: 36
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
    EDD 8/27/2020 Baby Girl  <3
  • @ziggymama06 We used the Mustella no-rinse cleanser (micellar water) for early days, with big cotton pads for little change-table baths, or for nice gentle face wipies, too.  Love it!  I think for cradle cap etc. The others are referring to their shampoo or baby wash.  They have a great product line!

I also highly recommend the Burt's Bees gentle face wipes for easy, no-bath change-table baths in early days.  I used to keep a pack in the kitchen for her face after meals times (but now I pretty much just use whatever lol).
  • @BusinessWife Excellent!!  Thank you again for all the recs!  All three have been added to the registry  :)
    Me: 33  DH: 36
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
    EDD 8/27/2020 Baby Girl  <3
  • @ziggymama06 you read my mind... that was the exact question I was going to ask.

Sort of silly, unrelated question, but I just realized I was so clueless about when to bathe them, what kind of baths to do when they are brand new, etc. STM+... where did you learn all of this? Is it covered in infant basics classes? Starting to realize how little I know about newborn care!

• The angelcare seat is what we used for the first 6 months and then just laid him on a towel in the tub I liked that it wasn't fabric that could form over his mouth or get gross as it dried. For soup we use Dove sensitive body wash for his body and hair. My DS has super sensitive skin and bad eczema so its the only thing that doesn't result in flair ups and we will be using it for this baby too!
  • @rivercitynik At the hospital, a nurse did his first little sponge bath and she gave us some information. I got so much from my bump group with my son. They answered so many new mom questions for me. We have all been there!! 
    You're supposed to do sponge baths until the umbilical cord falls off and then you can do more normal baths in a little tub or the sink. Or you can stick with sponge baths! Too much bathing can dry out a baby's skin so we just did a bath maybe once a week or as needed. I didn't do a newborn class but they might cover some info there too! 
  • @rivercitynik, umm, I don't know, honestly. I think the midwives told me no getting the stump wet, and thus no baths. Generally, I think I just heard about baths from friends or family who had kids. And I have NO desire to bath them frequently, especially if they don't need it. They like baths, but it's work!
  • @rivercitynik What to Expect: The First Year was our bible for all of those questions about infant care. Our pediatrician also gave us a lot of information. 

Before his cord fell off, we just gave DS sponge baths as needed. Once the cord fell off, we did tub baths as needed. We started doing nightly baths when he was over 6 months because it was part of his bedtime routine and helped get him settled. 
  • @rivercitynik Last night in the hospital a nurse brought me from my room to the nursery and gave me a hands on lesson in baby bathing. She allowed me to participate and stood right beside me to help as I got used to it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Aww thanks everyone for the info and for being so encouraging!! 😺
  • Thanks to whomever recommended the Dove.  I have just been buying the Dove sensitive bodywash (not the baby wash 🤷) but anyway I feel like that's probably a nice, inexpensive alternative to my favourite (spendy 😬) babywash from last time.  No sense in worrying about stuff like that when a nice alternative is so easy to find. ☺️
  • maelovemaelove member
    edited March 2020
    @BusinessWife I use the dove sensitive body wash for me and love it! I plan to switch DS to it when we run out of her pricey baby wash/shampoo that I have been milking since my baby shower haha.

@rivercitynik I feel like the only thing that was not intuitive for me was that you don't really need to bathe babies that much! We did it weekly for the first year unless obvious dirt/diaper blowout happened. Even now its twice a week for DD who is 2. I do however have some mommy friends who did it daily for routine/the calming effect and it worked for them so there isn't really a wrong way to do things.

We had all the bath toys and accessories the first time around and I feel that I found less was more. The more toys and assistive items you have, the more you have to clean/monitor for mold (Keep an eye on the toys that squirt and bath mats! I found most of these to get mold at some point in time). This time around we plan to be a little more minimalist in terms of bath time.

edited for spacing