September 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight 2/29: Diapering

This weeks product spotlight is all about diapering!! Feel free to use the prompts or just type away! Links/photos welcome.
I snagged a schedule that's been used I think by a few BMBs now, but if you guys want to add/change anything let me know!!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to look back and reference!

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fCSvGqefiQ7m-cqNEBzPuaIqF7BL2ost0Ta2sMjC-8w/edit?usp=sharing

For S+TMs (or FTMs that already have said item): 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite way to diaper:
  • Favorite brand(s) of diaper:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about the diapers:
  • Any special features? (comfort, convenience, environmental, alerts, etc)
  • Is there a diaper brand you don’t use but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a diaper brand you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • What were your favorite or must have diapering needs (wipes, changing pad, diaper genie, etc)?
  • Additional thoughts on diapering?:

For FTMs:

Diapers/etc you’re currently interested in:

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

(template taken from August 2020)

Re: Product Spotlight 2/29: Diapering

• I have cloth diapers and I really want to say that we use them all the time, but the fact is that my kiddo is way too squirmy now so we use disposable because they're easy to slap on him.
    We used pampers swaddlers when he was really little because they didn't fit him right. Then we used cloth for a few months more often than not. I have a mix because I bought them for the price or pattern rather than the brand. Now that he's older we use pampers baby dry.
    I am going to be getting some newborn cloth donated to me so we'll probably do about 50/50 when baby is born to save money while we wait for the new child tax.
    I don't find the cloth to be much more work than using disposable personally. We do have to strip them every now and again but that's about the only pain in the butt.
    Momma to 3 angels and two amazing children
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • edited March 2020
    I love the idea of cloth diapers as I imagine they’re probably more comfortable for baby but I just can’t get myself to do them!

We used Pampers Pure for our DS for the first few months of his life and loved them. They aren’t super cheap but we were fortunate that my parents gifted our first few months of diapers and wipes since we had a lot of lawyer fees. We tried Honest and I also liked them but they were expensive once the coupon code wore off lol so now we use Hello Bello which is basically the cheaper version of Honest and we love them! They have lots of cute prints and fit our DS well. We do use Honest overnight diapers though because if we don’t he pees through overnight! And we use Huggies natural wipes- 99% water and come in bulk at Costco 👍🏻

Oh and we had a diaper pail given to us for free and it works for pee diapers but honestly not for poop the room still stinks so we buy individual diaper disposable bags and throw each poop out individually goes right to garage yuck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I refused to even entertain the idea of cloth diapers mostly because of cleaning them- especially with the way I've been feeling lately but I know that won't last forever!  However, some of you are starting to convince me and I definitely like how much more budget friendly they are.  How bad is it really to clean them? 
  • @readytobemama cloth diapering with a little one, especially a breastfed little one, is SUPER EASY. Their poo literally just comes off in the water. Cloth diapering with a babe whose started on solids is a little bit more of a pain because you do have to scrape off the poo, but really not that big a deal. I just use wipes and clean it off as best as I can. I have a bucket in my laundry room and once it gets full I chuck them in a load. I do hang dry my shells to protect the PUL but it's not really necessary, and if I'm in a hurry I'll put them in the dryer.
    I got more than enough diapers for how I use them for like $500, which included a couple that I spent a bit more on for the design, like my favorite lol
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • I checked and it looks like the cloth diaper forum isn't active here. If anyone is interested in cloth diapering, I'm part of a group on one of the sites that popped up after the divide and we're pretty active. Most everyone has somewhat older kids so we talk a lot about other things, but they're still a font of information and would love to welcome some new members and little squishes 😊
    F born June 2018
    W born September 2020
    #3 due November 2022
  • We use disposable. Inexpensive and holds everything are the top criteria. With our first, my husband was thrown a diaper bbq and we got through the first year with only buying some newborn diapers. If anyone wants to throw you or your husband one let them! (Pic in spoiler of the 3,018 diapers H received!) After that I would buy a years worth of diapers on Black Friday from Babies R Us (their brand) because they had a kick ass sale. Currently determining where I would like to buy a stock pile from. Leaning toward up and up from target. I like to have a big stock waiting in the basement. 

Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We used disposables. We tried so many different brands of disposables with DD. We got so many diapers from people and it was nice to try them out.  Since she started out so tiny the Pampers swaddlers worked best.  We had tons of parents choice but hated those. Hated the target brand as well.  Once she got big enough we went with Kirkland (Costco) and that is what we used exclusively. We liked the target wipes best.   Every baby is so different I would try out several different brands.  I'm hoping that we can get people to buy us more diapers.  @Louise_Belcher you got an impressive haul. We got a ton but I don't think it was that many 🙂 we got a lot of wipes though. Definitely didn't have to buy those for a year. 
  • We do a combo of cloth and disposable for DS. I’m not sure what we will do for the twins. Everyone says we shouldn't cloth diaper the twins as it will be too much work. I don’t understand what work they are taking about. 5 min to throw the diapers in the wash and add detergent and hit start. I think about the cost savings and we would be crazy not too. 

Favorite cloth diaper: BumGenius freetimes
    Favorite disposable: Huggies 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• We do disposable. I like Huggies Little Snugglers best but recently switched to Snug & Dry for DD since she's older and I'm not worried about liquidy blowouts lol. The snugglers have the little poop pocket in the back that I like for when they are small. I hate the smell of Pampers (at least the ones we used bc gifted) and I haven't tried too many others. For wipes I like the Amazon essentials unscented wipes. They are kinda textured so they really "grip" the poop when you wipe it, hah. And no weird scent. For diaper cream we use Balmex when needed. I know some like to use all the time as preventative but we haven't found that necessary for DD.
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @robyn2201 I had every intention of cloth diapering the twins but when they were born they were too little and we had to start with disposables. And by the time we could have transitioned them we were way to sleep deprived and overwhelmed to even think about adding an extra step to our daily routine. It's the exact opposite of what I thought I was going to do but it worked out that way for a reason.

We tried so many brands and ended up loving Honest! I swear they are the best and one of the only brands that doesn't give the kiddos rashes. The only downside is sometimes if you pull too had the side tab pops off and you have to throw away a clean diaper. Otherwise I am completely happy with them. Even love their overnight diapers.

Two Furbabies: Mika (american eskimo) and Gypsy (wire-haired terrier, dachshund mix)

Twins: Kaiden and Zara born 10/2018 conceived after 6 years of infertility via a medicated IUI

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • We cloth diaper 90% of the time currently and I plan on doing the same with new baby. I started cloth when W was a newborn and I've done it all. As a newborn we used pre-folds and covers initially because he was 6lbs. and the AIO's (all-in-ones) I had were just too big. Then we switched to AIO's  right around 9-10 lbs. and never looked back. Definitely the most expensive way to cloth, but I didn't like the way prefolds soaked his body and they are definitely more work (especially when they start to roll). 

Currently our stash is mostly Blueberry Simplex AIO's (the organic being my favorite), but I am starting to invest in more Thirsties pockets (hook and loop variety) because they are less expensive and W pees so much, I have to stuff his Simplex with additional inserts anyway. 

With new baby, my plan is to build up a stash of Thirsties newborn AIO's for tiny newborn phase, then transition to Blueberry newborn AIO's (because they're slightly bigger), then Blueberry OS and eventually Thirsties pockets. New baby is getting a lot of hand-me-down dipes, so if she's a girl, she's sporting some "boy styles" for sure. 

If you decide to cloth, invest in a Spray Pal for when they start solids. Seriously, best $50 ever spent. I spray his poops directly into the toilet with their diaper sprayer and splatter guard and it's so easy. 

For overnights, we currently use Up&Up Overnight diapers. I've always had great success with them and they're more cost effective than Huggies or Pampers. 
    Me: 36, H: 37 | Married: 10/15/16 | DS#1: 7/18/04 | DS#2: 4/18/19
    BFP: 1/26/20 | EDD: 9/20/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @linz36 I’m glad you saw my post about cd’ing twins! I need to do more research before I make a decision. I just hate the nay sayers and they tend to say oh well cloth is so much work when it’s not all that much really. I feel like they say it’s too much work for just one kid so of course the thought of doing it for two they look horrified for even considering it it with twins. I’m already doing it for one, I’ve done it for two before, what’s another 10-15 diapers a day. I don’t know... maybe I’m naive. DS was a preemie so he couldNt even fit into the NB cloth diapers we had till he was about six weeks! Haha
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• We use cloth about 90% of the time as well. I prefer a disposable when we are on the go. Cloth on the go is totally doable but when I am already trying to navigate the world with a small child for a full day of errands I like to give myself a little break. Ditto for when we travel.
    I use Alva Baby AI2s with 4 layer bamboo inserts and flour sack towels and I love them. We’ve been using cloth since about 3 months and never had a problem with leaks or blow outs. My whole stash (about 30 diapers with inserts and fsts) were all bought brand new for less than $200 all together. 
    My main tips for cloth diapering:
    Get the toilet sprayer. You won’t need it right away but it makes life easier once you introduce food.
    Color code your bedtime stash. I have 5 bright orange diapers that are specifically extra stuffed for bedtime which makes it way easier to just grab when we are getting changed for bed.
    Try La Petite Creme! It is this magic lotion like stuff that makes all the yucky stuff slide neatly off of baby’s bum while also conditioning and protecting the skin. 100% cloth diaper safe! My kid is 2 and has NEVER had a diaper rash. His pediatrician marvels over this every time.
    Currently we are using Aldi disposables and they work great plus are super cute.  

• we’ve always used disposables. we start with pampers sensitive for newborn - size 2, then switch to target brand. tried buggies with our first and he peed and poi’s out of almost 1/2 the box! NEVER again! (Although I have friends who have had the complete opposite experience, so it really depends on your baby)
  • @beaandthebabes thanks for the suggestion on the creme! I’ve never thought of that before. I googled it and now I’m definitely interested! Do you use it when you’re out as well or do you bring something else like regular wipes? 
  • @greyl I use a combination of the 2 when I’m out. I made myself a little travel bottle. It is the difference of using 1-2 wipes and many wipes on sticky stubborn poo. Also a tiny bit goes a long way so it seems a touch pricey but it lasts forever. It is like my number 1 product recommendation.
  • We do mostly cloth. We use flats! We got our stash of 36 organic flats plus some snappis and 4 covers for under $100. They are super easy to clean and we don't have to worry about buying more and running out. We do have some pockets we used to use for overnight (now we use disposable at night- switching back to pampers baby dry from luvs because 23 mo is waking up in the middle of the night with the luvs) and some all in ones from a Facebook co-op group that I like to use when we're out of the house and for naps to keep a little drier. 
  • @beaandthebabes awesome thank you!! We will probably use disposables so if we can save on wipes a little that will be helpful.