July 2020 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinions 1/16

Re: Unpopular Opinions 1/16

• Options
    I don't think the app is that bad. Definitely not bad enough to make me walk across the room and grab my laptop. 
  • Options
    kittenslovekittenslove member
    edited January 2020
    @modoodles I don’t think it’s that bad, but I find I’m more interactive on the computer vs a stalker using the app
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do not understand the obsession with anything Jane Austen.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    I actually liked the new Charlie's Angel's movie. 
  • Options
    While I enjoy both, I think (if you get the right one) cats are better than dogs. My cats love each other and play and groom each other and also snuggle in the bed with my husband and I and I never have to walk them or take them outside or anything like that. And I can leave them alone for 3 days with extra food and water for a weekend trip and while they'll be annoyed when they see me, they're fine (and for longer trips can have my neighbor pop in every other day vs having to pay a dog walker).
  • Options
    @pocketrose I mean, if what qualifies as better is that they take less effort, sure. They're definitely better. But dogs are (usually) way better companions, which is what I value.

That said, if they didn't shed so much, I'd totally want a cat when our dog dies. To your point, they're just so low maintenance! It would be nice to have a pet without having to worry about who will take him when we go on trips
  • Options
    +1 to Dogs being better companions.  Cats just don't seem as cuddly!  I also wish my dog (corgi) didn't shed so so much.  

Also, I will always be team dog since I'm super allergic to cats!   :D
  • Options
    Also, the dog/cat talk reminds me of a GTKY I wanted to post...
  • Options
    @JessDG we recently discovered my 18 month old is allergic to cats too, so that made the decision easy that we'll just always be dog people.

I have to say though, now that I have 2 kids, my dog seems too high maintenance. I feel like I don't have time to tend to another living being. We still love our dog but I feel bad we can't devote as much attention to him. A cat would be easier in that respect. But also, I am grossed out by litter boxes and I 100% know my child would get into it and play with the cat litter (gag) so no cats for us. 
  • Options
    @JessDG ugh... I am always SO jealous of two of our close friends. They have a goldendoodle and he doesn't shed, at all. Our dog sheds so much! We'll never have a dog that sheds again... unless it's, like, super tiny and whatever fur it sheds didn't have a big impact.
  • Options
    My dog is so damn happy to see me every single time I leave the house and come back. My mental well-being is 1000x better because of that doodle dog.

we had cats growing up, I’m not against them, but they’re meh to me.

i guess my UO is that I’m not a fan of groups leaving the Bump to make private FB groups. I mean I get it, and would totally join a FB group, but I love lurking the later BMB to read birth stories, etc. 
  • Options
    @modoodles If I was only bumping from home, I'd deal with the app too vs getting out the laptop (which basically never gets used). I just get spoiled being on the computer version all week at work!

@JessDG people do that?! Maybe it's because my mom's a teacher, but we NEVER took time off school for vacations because my parents didn't want us to miss that much time. I can't imagine being a HS student in AP classes and missing a week.
  • Options
    @JessDG I would be annoyed by that too. It's different at the elementary level but for high school a week can really make a difference. But I'm sure the kids have no say in it, their parents are the ones planning it and pulling them out, so I'd still try to help the kids out (it sounds like you do). I actually pulled my preschooler out for a week in October to go on vacation and I felt super guilty about it , which is kind of ridiculous because it's preschool. 
  • Options
    @zande2016
    Yeah, most kids have no say in it and their parents are just like "we're going!"  

I had one mom e-mail me in October to tell me her daughter would be out for a week in May.  Like, super early and all, but OK.  I then realized it was one of the AP exam weeks and she would either not be able to take my exam or would have to take it late.  AP tests aren't mandatory but...why be in the class if you're not going to do it?  Most kids do. 
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132
    I will never take my kids out for a week vacation because I don't want to miss that much time!  Sub plans for 5 days?  No thanks!
  • Options
    @JessDg I can only recall being out for that reason once in all my years of schooling.  It was more a childcare failure where my Mom had to take me to work trip at Disney b/c we had no one at home who could care.  But, she made me do all my homework first.

My spouse teaches high school math and her students would be so lost after a week.
  • Options
    @bluguitarhannah
    Yay math!  That's what I teach too! :)
  • Options
    @JessDG this year she has Math Models and regular Algebra II plus the honors kids.  She's taught through AP Calculus.  I got points last night for answering a question the kids missed.  If I still remember it then they should.  lol
  • Options
    @JessDG agree. That's crazy. I didn't know people did that for their high schoolers! I think it's questionable even when they do it for younger kids.

My UO is also pet-related: if you bought your pet (from a store, from a breeder, basically if you got it anywhere other than a shelter), I judge you for a minute. I don't hang on to it, and I have friends and family members who have done it and I don't go on tirades about it or anything, but I feel a certain way about it when I think about it.
  • Options
    @meanjellybean I agree, especially about pet stores. I think it's pretty well known these days that pet stores sell dogs from puppy mills where they're abused and neglected. If you somehow didn't know, I judge less, but if you support them while knowing this, I judge for more than just a minute. Breeders are different, as long as they're very reputable. I still think there are too many shelter dogs and cats and I wouldn't buy from a breeder, but nothing comes close to puppy mills. 
  • Options
    pocketrosepocketrose member
    edited January 2020
    I hear all of you dogs > cats people, hence the importance of getting the right cat. Exhibit A below of the worlds most cuddly tuxedo boy.

• Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited January 2020
    @meanjellybean meh... I get what you're saying. But also, I see the value in getting a dog from someone when you can meet the parents, know their general temperament and choose based on that.

But, my friends used to joke that if a loose/stray dog and I are within a 5 mile radius of each other, I'll find them. Because of that, most of my pets, growing up and as an adult, were either stray/loose animals I found with no owner, or rescues... so I definitely value that side of things too. 
  • Options
    @meanjellybean our dog is from a breeder, but I get what you’re saying. When we first started thinking about a puppy, we first started our search through the local adoption agencies and humane society. The problem ended up that we were being denied approval to rescue a puppy because we both work full time and they didn’t agree that we would have the time or resources to make it work.

our dog is 6 years old now and never have we thought we couldn’t handle him or neglected him in anyway. 

I guess I think it’s sometimes harder (but not impossible to find) a shelter or adoption agency to work with you. I do think it’s a shame when someone gets a dog from a breeder and it eventually ends up at a shelter.
  • Options
    @coffeeandcookies84 that really surprises me that you guys had those issues. DH and I both worked full time (and I was in college full time) and didn't have issues. I feel like they required a fenced in yard, which I had... but understood that people work because if they didn't, they'd never be able to get those dogs adopted. 
  • Options
    @coffeeandcookies84 @blaf322 my sister and her husband recently tried adopting a boxer puppy and the rescue organizations wouldn't approve them - they own a house and have a fenced in yard, but they didn't like that they had another dog and 2 kids. The kids are older too, 9 and 11. Maybe the rescues that place pure bred dogs are more strict than the ASPCA shelters etc? They ended up using a breeder. Personally I've never been set enough on a specific breed to go through that, I'm happy to just browse the puppies at the local shelters and apply for one. They aren't overly strict. 
  • Options
    @pocketrose ahh so snuggly! Mine is occasionally snuggly but if I would never trust him that close to my face because he's insane lol.
  • Options
    @zande2016 we adopted from a boxer rescue though.... Granted, he is far from pure boxer. But definitely looked more the part as a puppy. Regardless, I'm sure you're right :smile:

• Options
    @blaf322 is your boxer nutso? I grew up with a boxer and he was hilarious but his craziness was legendary. He had a lot of separation anxiety and was also like a Houdini that could open any door and escape any enclosure. He would get loose all the time and we would have to go around looking for him.
  • Options
    @blaf322 yeah it was definitely a surprise. This was also 6 years ago and I guess it would have been up to the foster family if we’d be a good match or not. We requested a puppy, but in the end they recommended a older dog. At the time I was thinking of bringing a new dog into our home when we’re planning to start a family soon.

• Options
    @meanjellybean as he turned from puppy to adult dog, he's looked less and less like a boxer and his mood isn't like the typical crazy boxer either. He's super lovey and snuggley though. 
  • Options
    hbird0723hbird0723 member
    edited January 2020
    I used to not be a cat fan at all but our oldest wanted one and there was a family we knew that had kittens and of course the cute kitty mixed with big toddler eyes got us lol She is so cool though! She’s a tortoise shell cat so her colors are really cool and she’s just really sweet. She loves to snuggle when the girls are napping. So I’ve kind of changed my mind about dogs over cats since her. I agree, they are definitely easier when traveling and care in general. Companion wise for us both her and the dog are pretty much the same. 

My only UO is, I do not like coffee. I think it’s gross. The smell the taste 🤢 can’t do it! 😬 I think it has something to do with my grandma letting me have coffee flavored ice cream as a kid and then throwing it up. 

Edit to say probably not my only UO but the one I can think of right now 

• Options
    @blaf322 hah imagine that! Maybe there was some other reason they weren't approved and they just didn't want to share lol 
  • Options
    My unpopular opinion is I don't like pets... of any kind lol. I never grew up with them because my mom's allergic. I can appreciate other people's pets and before I had a kid I would have said there will never ever be a pet in my house. But gosh darnit wouldn't you know my 14 month old adoresssss dogs. Loves'em, almost fell out of her sled trying to watch one walk down the street. So I imagine if she really wants one, and begs for many many years, perhaps I would eventually give in to her lol. Parenthood changes ya man. 
  • Options
    @JessDG Yaaaas! I used to be a teacher and during my practicum my supervising teacher had to prepare 6 weeks of work because a grade 7 student was going on a sailing trip with her family. WTF? My mom & dad never took us out of school for vacation. That is what summer's are for. I also don't get how AP students can do this! Surely they are more academically inclined (or at least their parents want them to be). How is this acceptable?

@meanjellybean I didn't think you could get cats or dogs from pet stores anymore. We can't in my province. They only sell birds, fish and the occasional tarantula :grimace: Both my pupper and kitten are rescues and are the sweetest. Although my kitten is like this:

• Options
    @hbird0723 I'll drink it in a latte, but also don't like coffee. I think it smells okay. But I don't love it. I also don't drink much caffeine though, so I'm just kind of weird about that, I guess lol
  • Options
    @modoodles agree on the app! Ironically I'm using my laptop right now and I don't really love the website TBH

@pocketrose @blaf322 @JessDG I think people can like and love both. I have one of each and they have totally different personalities. The dog is definitely way higher maintenance but I don't love her less. I grew up with cats and have always found them to be wonderful companions. My cat is super social with guests and is unbelievably snuggly. This winter she's gotten into coming under the blankets with us, which is sweet. 

My UO, in this vein, would be that I've never met a mini golden doodle who wasn't an enormous PITA. Sample size isn't huge (4 in my close proximity), but each of them have major issues with misbehavior and barking way too much. My dog always behaves worse when she's around them (one-the worst one- is my IL's). They're cute and hypoallergenic and all, but so annoying. I'm also with @meanjellybean about buying vs. adopting (and also not super strong because I'm so pro-pet in general), but most mini golden doodles aren't adoptable and come from breeders.

• Options
    stlbuckeye132stlbuckeye132 member
    edited January 2020
    @mrsdrez just chiming in to say if you're not a pet person, please don't get one. I have a friend who "wanted" a dog because everyone else loved dogs. She's gotten 3 dogs and given them all back and it pisses me off every time. Some people aren't pet people, and that's perfectly fine! IMO it's better to never get a pet than to get one because your kid wants one and then give the pet back 2 weeks later.
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 Oh trust me, I wouldn't do it on a whim. I understand the commitment, which is why I don't want/have one. 
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 omg that makes me sick to my stomach. So sad for those pups! And I agree, unless you are going to bring that pet into your home as a member of your family, don't do it at all!