July 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Baby Carriers

Our Product Spotlight Series continues! Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. If you discover something new or are new to the board, you're welcome to comment on threads like these throughout your time here, not just when it's their week in the spotlight.

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format--or none of them. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome! This week we're talking.... Baby Carriers!

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite baby carrier (brand &/or type)
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a baby carrier you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on baby carriers:
For FTMs:
  • Carrier(s) you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:
Big thanks to all who participate in these threads!

Up next (aka this Friday b/c I always forget :D ) strollers! 

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Baby Carriers

• Options
    I loved my classic Ergo.  The one I used required a newborn insert initially.  I used it til my son was 2+.  It was easy to use.  I just kept it in my car and used that rather than carrying bucket car seat. 

• Options
    My favorite spotlight! Will come back to actually share and discuss when I have more time, but I 100% recommend everyone figure out a type of carrier that will work for them. They're great for everyone, and if you have more than one kid at home they can make life SO MUCH simpler.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am a fan of  the Tula free to grow. No infant insert needed, works from I think 7 or 8 pounds. I am thinking about trading mine for a girlier pattern for this baby. They have really good resale value. 
  • Options
    I had my youngest when the moby wraps were the big thing. And It seemed like soooooo much material. I would like a carrier, just not a wrap-style I guess? 
  • Options
    Pascal86Pascal86 member
    edited January 2020
    Our baby carrier is our arms. I got a Gemini for DD1 and every time I strapped her in, my husband would inevitably just say he’d carry her after 5 minutes. Then I’d walk around looking like an idiot with that thing strapped to me without a baby in it. Then DD2 made it instantly clear she wanted nothing to do with being in a carrier. And again, my husband... he’d take her on hour long walks around the neighborhood every evening when she was a newborn, just carrying her in his arms. 🤷‍♀️

That being said, I don’t spend a lot of time with my kids when my husband isn’t around since we both work full time. But for us, it just wasn’t very useful. I would strongly advocate a baby wearing group where you can get a loaner and see how it fits into your family’s preferences and ways of functioning before shelling big money out since they’re pretty spendy. 
  • Options
    I have a Tula infant as well as a Tula toddler soft structured carrier (SSC). They worked really well for my bestie's son so I got them. Well, DD didn't like being in a carrier, at all :neutral:

I didn't get a Lillebaby SSC because I didn't think I needed the forward facing option since it's not great for their hips. Back when DD was younger, I wish I had gotten it b/c I think she'd have been willing to be worn if she could FF. So, I'd recommend getting one of those or something similar that you can FF in juuuust in case you want the option.

I have a Moby wrap for when they're SUPER tiny. @modoodles maybe a K'tan wrap would be better for you since they're not a one size fits most option? I have one of those on my "if someone throws me a sprinkle" registry.

I'll also have a Tula ring sling this go round. One of the girls on DD's BMB was selling theirs and I'm buying it for $13 + shipping (score!) after another girl in the group finishes with it. Those are also really good for tiny babies and DD tended to like those better but the only one I had was one I made and I preferred to sell it so I didn't use it for her.

For everyone trying to babywear, I'd check to see if you still have a BWI chapter near you. If so, they might have a lending library where you'll be able to try out different carriers.  
  • Options
    I used my Ergo 360 with my 3rd almost every single day for over a year. Love that thing! I had a Moby wrap but didn’t use it much. I felt like I had to hold them with my hand so it defeated the purpose of using the wrap to be hands free.
  • Options
    I also loved using a Solly (similar time Moby) wrap when they’re tiny. The wrap is also light enough to wear around the house for the day, which I’m sure in the middle of July/august I’ll be carting baby around the house with just a nursing bra on.

we also have an ergo 360 as a more “rugged” option, which we loved!

I might invest in another wrap style carrier for the early days, as I’m sure I’ll be baby wearing a lot with a toddler around.
  • Options
    I’m planning on a lillebaby all seasons. Between my sister so think they have every one under the sun other than a lillebaby. (But I don’t think they have the infant inserts for all of them ) But doing research that seemed like the best fit for us. And I found one for $70
  • Options
    I had a k’tan with DD1 and liked it when she was a newborn but felt it didn’t offer a lot of support. With DD2 I got a Lillebaby and it’s amazing! You don’t need an infant insert, which is super convenient, and it has a lumbar support piece. I had back surgery after DD1 was worried I wouldn’t be able to wear DD2 but I have zero back pain wearing her. She’s 16 months now and I still wear her on occasion 
  • Options
    modoodlesmodoodles member
    edited January 2020
    Has anyone used a lillebaby carrier?

Specifically an airflow or an all seasons?
  • Options
    Carriers were something I tried on when we went for our first exploration visit to BuyBabyBuy.  I'm leaning towards to Ergo carrier but won't be crushed if we don't get one in our shower.  I think my spouse is much more likely to use due to my previously mentioned neck issue.  However, it might be great to keep the weight lower for me. 
  • Options
    @modoodles I haven't but they're very similar to how Tula works/fits.
    One of the girls on DD's BMB used an airflow during a group zoo trip we took and I loved that the back has a panel for support vs just a strap, like the Tula has. With the Tula, when you back wear, the strap cuts across your belly and it's super unflattering if you have any kind of stomach at all. I expect the panel at the lower part of the lillebaby would be a lot more forgiving. LMK if you aren't sure what I'm talking about here.
  • Options
    @modoodles I haven't but that's the carrier my friend has and loves it! 
  • Options
    For DD, I had a k'tan and we got an Ergo 360. I used the K'tan while I was on maternity leave and she was tiny, because she always had to be held and it was the only way I could eat or poop or whatever after DH went back to work. But I agree with @NinnyJean that it doesn't offer too much support, but granted I only ever tried that initial wrap style and never tried anything "next level" in terms of baby wearing. It was just too involved for me at that time lol. But I assume I'll use my k'tan again this time since there will be a toddler involved. 

We have not gotten much use out of the the 360. We found it to be bulky and since she was a March baby, by the time we wanted to use it it was summer and the sweat factor was ridiculous lol. And she was fine to be in her stroller at that point so we all kind of preferred to do that. Again though, that may change with the timing of this baby and the toddler presence. Curious to see what others recommend because if I can get something second hand for super cheap I may swap my k'tan out for something more functional.
  • Options
    I used a Moby wrap at the beginning, I really liked it but honestly never had the need to use it that often. I'm thinking that may also change with toddler around. I bought a second hand ergobaby carrier, but just the basic one so no forward facing. I'm glad I got it used because I only used it a handful of times, but when I really wanted to use it I feel like DD would have liked it more if it had the forward facing option. I think I'm going to keep my eye open for a second hand ergo 360, and if not wait until baby comes and see where we're actually at in terms of carrier necessity. 
  • Options
    stlbuckeye132stlbuckeye132 member
    edited January 2020
    I had this Boba wrap and LilleBaby with DD. I liked the wrap in the early days, but I didn't use it much beyond probably 8 weeks. I found it easy enough after some practice and youtube videos. I really loved the LilleBaby too, and if you plan on doing any sort of airport traveling when baby is small (or even a toddler, I used it last summer with her at 16 months), I would DEFINITELY recommend a soft structured carrier (SSC) like this one. It's worth it just for making that alone easier. I loved having the back support with the LilleBaby, and I can still wear her on my back at almost 2 (although we don't do it that often anymore). It is hot in the summer, but I'm going to sweat in the summer either way, so I don't think I'll get anything else for this baby. My sister also gave me two ring slings, but I found those the most intimidating of anything! I rarely used them because I was never confident she wasn't going to fall right out of it. (This was 100% user error, and I know plenty of people love them - I just never invested much time trying to figure them out since I had other options that I liked.)

ETA: links in spoiler

• Options
    I think my favorite type of carrier is a meh dai. If I had to narrow down to just one thing, that's what I'd keep. Prices are variable for all of these. There are great deals to be found online, from Facebook groups to eBay or other resale sites. If you have a good kid's consignment store or sale like JBF near you, there are usually carriers there too.

Here's what I've used and liked and will use again. Pictures in spoilers.

Meh dai - I've had a "basic" canvas one, though I've never tried the Infantino one (which is super easy to find and very affordable), and some converted from wraps (DIY). They take a tiny bit more practice than a SSC, and some people think the long straps are intimidating, but when you've used it a few times it's really easy. Can be very quick, baby can't pop their legs out of the seat, comfortable. If you babywear for a long time, you might need more than one size. $40-$150+

Pic:

K'tan - only good for early on, but super quick and comfy. I love that it's a nice soft t-shirt type fabric. For us, they only felt supportive until about 15 lb, or maybe even a little less (3-4 mo for us). The other downside is that they're sized, so if you don't have the right size they don't work well. Less fabric to deal with than a Moby/Solly wrap, but I hear very good things about those too. Make sure you use the "belt" part (where it stores in the pocket), it's not always obvious that that part is helpful. $50

Woven wraps - love these. Work from the beginning to the end, no matter how long you babywear. Have a learning curve, but can be super duper comfortable even for long periods of time. Take a little longer to put on depending on what size you have and what carry you use - can be confusing to learn about! There are tons and tons of great videos and tutorials online. Price range is all over the place; if you hem some fabric, it can be cheap ($20), but if you buy a super fancy handwoven it can be $1000+.

Ring sling - never got the hang of it with my first, but used one when out and about with the second a lot. Wore it at church a lot, quick ups around the house. You carry the weight on one shoulder, and it also has a bit of a learning curve to get baby situated and adjust everything correctly, but once you get it it's super quick and can be totally comfortable. Can be cheap to DIY. The one in the picture I made from half a Target shower curtain and a $5 pair of safety-tested rings.

Kinderpack SSC - I've also used a Tula, but the KP fits me better, and because you can cross the straps in the back, it doesn't slip off my shoulders like the Tula did. A harder to find brand, Bloo Kangaroo, also makes really comfortable carriers. There are a ton of SSC brands out there. SSC's are kind of like jeans; different ones fit different bodies well, so definitely try one on if you can, or buy a cheaper used one that you can resell if it doesn't work for you. Lots of babywearing groups will have SSCs you can try on at a meeting or possibly rent/borrow.

I mentioned before that I think everyone should try a carrier. Every baby has a different personality, though, and obviously parents are all different. But it’s a great tool to have on hand. I regret not taking better advantage of babywearing with my first, although I certainly wore her a lot. It took me *forever* to get into a new groove after she was born, though, because I couldn't figure out how to manage her and the rest of life. It wasn't a super quick adjustment with #2, but I was better at using the tools I had available and babywearing was a HUGE part of that, especially since we had to work life around an older child too.

I don't wear much now with my 16-month old, but with DD1 I was wearing her at least weekly? until she was 3 or so. She preferred being on my back in a grocery store or on other errands. I really need to try putting DD2 in a carrier more often; she always tries to climb out of the grocery cart and I end up carrying her in my arms while trying to shop.

If you're into it, I recommend looking for a babywearing group near you. BWI as an official organization no longer exists, but most of the groups are still around and many that were never BWI members are out there too. Search Facebook or Google to see what's around you. It can be a good way to meet other parents and kids, too. Or if you want one on one help, there are consultants who will work with you to teach you how to use what you have or figure out what would work for you. There are a lot of resources online, too. Facebook groups, YouTube videos, babywearing group websites, thebabywearer.com can all be good.
  • Options
    I LOVE my Lillebaby Complete All Seasons Carrier. It's $150 new but I got mine on FB Marketplace for $40. It provides so much support for me and my daughter has always been comfy in it. My husband wears it constantly too when he takes her on walks. https://www.lillebaby.com/products/complete-all-seasons

I did not like the Infantino carrier someone gave me as a hand me down. It had ZERO support and my lower back killed after a short walk even when my daughter was only 12 pounds. 

I also used a Boba (similar to the Moby) that wraps. I liked it a lot for newborns except it was sooo much material. That wasn't a big deal when I had a winter baby but I don't think I'm going to want all that material wrapped to my sweaty ass body in July haha

Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10.13.18
    baby #2 due: 7.14.20

• Options
    Super late to the party...

@modoodles I have an all seasons, it was my very first carrier and I loved it! For hot weather is perfect. And I also own the ILYTP which is my DS favorite, material is softer and also I love puzzles so its kinda my favorite too. 

• Favorite baby carrier (brand &/or type): Lillebaby
    • Link/picture: I currently have an essentials, embossed, organic and complete

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): prices are between 80 - 200 usd; I've bought mine during sales, the embossed was most expensive, paid $70 from a reg price of $170
    • What you like about it: the lumbar support and how you can adjust all the straps
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: that would be the price... 
    • Is there a baby carrier you don't have but are considering? Why?: Tula, has cool prints, and also want to try out a ring sling probably lenny lamb.
    • Additional thoughts on baby carriers: I found baby carriers pretty helpful when running errands, even on the house if baby is feeling cranky or would refuse to sleep, and you still need to get some stuff done... life savers! 
  • Options
    @mayisch thanks for your review on the lillebaby! I think I'm going to get DH an all seasons. He is already talking about claiming mine, but he is always so hot, so hopefully that would be better for him. 

Is your ILY2P kind of a powder color? It will be delivered tomorrow and I can't  wait to get it! This was the first baby purchase we made! 
  • Options
    @modoodles its like a very subtle mint.... you'll love it :love: this time I already bought one for my DH since he is big&tall and I hated to re arrange the straps after he used mine :expressionless: I got he organic blue moonlight for him, on sale for $45 
  • Options
    For ring sling fans, Wild Bird is having a big end of season sale. I didn’t really technically *need* another sling, but for over 50% off, I couldn’t resist! 

• Options
    Sorry, not sure what happened there with it going through as 2 posts 🤦🏼‍♀️
  • Options
    @kristinl492 ugh... I want to try a RS this time but got a Tula one from a friend so I just can't warrant a WB one. But I looooove the look of the WB slings and always want one!
  • Options
    @blaf322 this is my second WB. I justified it by reminding myself how frequently DS would spit up on the wrap and I never had a back up. I figure baby #2 I’ll really be utilizing baby-wearing. They just have a great sale right now....😈 I also have a friend whose gotten some great deals on used ones in Buy/sell/trade groups on FB. 
    I also think it’ll be good to have a sling that lives in the car for when you need it on the go. 
  • Options
    I researched my carrier and really good things about the Lillebaby All Seasons, but it is pricey. I was able to get it half off from a seller on Facebook Marketplace. I also got a bunch of cloth diapers on there: 6 for $25. I was very proud of myself. It holds from 7 to 45 lbs so I will be able to use it for quite a while. Three cheers for frugality!
  • Options
    Meant to share this last week but forgot, and there are still a bunch in here. In case anyone is considering a Kinderpack, they're having a $99 sale on soon-to-be-discontinued prints. They're about $170-190 normally.

https://mykinderpack.com/collections/close-out

• Options
    FYI if anyone purchased an infantino carrier, they have been recalled

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2020/Infantino-Recalls-Infant-Carriers-Due-to-Fall-Hazard